Making Figures From Gp, Fondant And Candy Clay

Decorating By cakesbyamym Updated 19 Jul 2006 , 3:06pm by loriemoms

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 12:30am
post #1 of 18

I have a groom's cake ordered for 7/29. The bride and I worked together on a design that we're both excited about. The cake will be two tiers of red buttercream. I want a fireman (the groom's a fireman) to stand on the top tier. He will be holding a hose that I plan to run down the layers of the cake. I'm using 24 gauge wire wrapped in florist tape to simulate water coming from the end of the hose. The borders will be "flames." Now, my dilemma...does anyone know of how-to instructions on making figures? I would like to use gumpaste, fondant or candy clay to construct the fireman for my cake topper. Anyone know of a how-to article, book, etc?

Thanks in advance,
Amy

17 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 1:25am
post #2 of 18

JUST BUMPING YOU UP!!!!!!!!

Terrisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terrisa Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 1:57am
post #3 of 18

Here's a link that has a ton of options molds, books, videos, etc.

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/gumpaste/gp-people.htm

HTH

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:00am
post #4 of 18

I bought a Sculpey book from Hobby Lobby not too long ago. It was about $13 or so. Great book, lots of interesting characters. I think they have a website, sculpey.com. Maybe google clay figures too. I'll check the title of mine and get back to you.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 2:05am
post #5 of 18

It's called The Sculpey Way with Polymer Clay. There is actually a fireman and dog on the cover and instructions inside. It's from Hot Off the Press publishing, site is craftpizazz.com. There are some great figures in there. HTH!

cakesbyamym Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 10:00am
post #6 of 18

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I'm going to hit that website right now. I'll call Hobby Lobby later this morning when they open, and if they have it in stock, I'll get that book today! Thanks again! I really appreciate the help!

Amy

kae133 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kae133 Posted 18 Jul 2006 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 18

Not to be a joykill but won't 2 tiers of red buttercream make everyone's mouth red? Just something to think about. Red mouths at b-day parties are one thing, but they aren't usually welcome at weddings!

cakesbyamym Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:22am
post #8 of 18

The bride is aware of the red dying tongues, teeth, etc. I brought that up to her, and she was fine with it, and insisted that red is what she wanted.

Amy

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:31am
post #9 of 18

I made a firegirl for my neices 16th birthday cake. A picture is in my photos. I used the Sculpy way book as a starting point.
LL
LL

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:33am
post #10 of 18

Does anyone know if the sculpey molds are food-safe? Or has anyone used them?

Price Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:41am
post #11 of 18

getfrosted ---There is a thread on here regarding the sculpy molds. I understand the company states they are not considered food safe.

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:50am
post #12 of 18

The cake sounds awesome but are you aware that red food color has a really weird taste, almost bitter? It does not taste good if you use a lot of it.

Price Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:51am
post #13 of 18

I found the link to the mold discussion. Here it is. I did use a sculpy mold one time before reading the thread. No adverse effects thank goodness.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-26600.html

vicki0052 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki0052 Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:56am
post #14 of 18

Hi Everyone: One of the post in the site states that the clay molds from sculpey are not food safe...Sorry!!!! Vicki0052.

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 1:57am
post #15 of 18

Thank you Price for the information ... I think I will chose NOT to use them. Too bad, they have some really cute molds.

Too bad the company won't make products that are food safe - they would probably sell really well![/quote]

anoldhippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 2:22am
post #16 of 18

I LOVE THE FIREGIRL PRICE icon_biggrin.gif Have any suggestions to turn her into a Deputy Sheriff? My daughter is one and would love to make a figure for her.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 11:50am
post #17 of 18

Does anyone have a link to a site that does sell food safe molds?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 3:06pm
post #18 of 18

btw, this is a cool link as well

http://www.sculpey.com/projects_AllProjects.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%