Fondant Loop Bow - Suggestions??

Decorating By jreimer Updated 7 Jun 2007 , 7:01pm by Biya

jreimer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jreimer Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 20

I've tried - and failed - twice now making the fondant loop bow. This weekend I used some scrap fondant to try one - I just don't know how to assemble it to make it stand up. The first one I did with Royal Icing like the tutorial on here suggests - but I could see it HORRIBLY when I was finished - and I just did white bow with white royal icing, so it wasn't like it didn't match. Then this weekend, I tried it like it says in one of my Wilton books - just to attach with water, I used vanilla, and then I used a little piece of moist fondant to attach the top loop - but it just doesn't stand up... it looks like a floppy bow.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work for me??

19 replies
miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 20

Fondant will be too soft so you need to prop the bows (with foam, papertowel, etc) while they dry. Mix a little gumpaste to help it dry faster (or my preference, use pure gumpaste for the bow).

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 20

I make all of my bows out of melted CandyMelts. They can be made while the cake bakes, or ahead of time if you want. I can make an entire bow (20 loops) in under 30 minutes.

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 20

I made my first loop bow last weekend. I ended up using melted chocolate chips. I put the first layer of bows where I wanted then. Then I poured a little of the chocolate over the ends. Then I placed the second layer of bows, then I poured just enough chocolate on it to cover the ends. The top player I just dipped each loop into the chocolate and attached it. I used a little oil in my chocolate. It took a while to harden. Also I ended up taking a paintbrush and taking off some of the chocolate that could be seen.

hope22023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hope22023 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 20

could you please share how you make your bows out of candy melts? TIA!

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 20

I assemble my bows with chocolate melts. They set up much faster than royal iciing.

Debbie

GeminiRJ Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 20

Here's how to make a bow using CandyMelts (pastel colors work best): Cut strips of freezer paper 3/4" wide by 6" long (make 20). I melt the candy in a pyrex dish (6 oz. capacity?). Cover your work surface with a sheet of waxed paper. Have a tray covered with waxed paper ready to lay the finished loops on. Using an off-set spatula, evenly coat a strip with the candy. Lift by one end and let it hang down, running your fingers down the sides to clean the edges. Bring the ends together, and lay the loop on the tray. If the loop wants to pop open, anchor the ends by laying a pen or pencil across the base. The excess candy on the waxed paper can be scraped up and returned to the pyrex dish. Let harden. If you want to speed this along, place in the refrigerator for five or ten minutes. When hardened, carefully peel the paper off the loop. Cut longer strips of the freezer paper to make the strips that go on the top and sides of the cake. I like to pipe a bead border, using a #3 tip along the edges of the strips that are on the cake. To assemble the bow, dip the loops in some melted candy (you won't need much) and lay on the cake where the strips cross. The first layer gets 8 loops. Continue to place additional loops until the final loop is almost straight up and down. I like to break off pieces of the loops to make them shorter for each subsequent layer, which makes for a nicer looking bow. This way, too, if any of the loops cracked at the base when you peeled the paper off, they can still be used. I hope this helps. I can do these in my sleep, I've done so many of them! Be careful when the temperatures get hotter in the summer, as the candy bow will droop and melt.

jreimer Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 20

Thank you all.

I know I should use at least 50/50 gum paste/fondant mix, however, I have never used gum paste, and I'm a little hesitant, I did just get some in, so I will try it - I guess I don't want to 'waste' it on a practice bow... I'm corny like that...lol

Maybe I'll try the candy melts to attach the loops together - but what if its warm?? Will it melt?

I'm curious about the whole bow as candy melts as well - again though, I'm scared of melting.

The dipping of the ends and the fast drying of the 'glue' seems to be key. What about Color Flow (from Wilton classes)?? That seemed to be very thin and dried out quickly... or what about really thinning down the royal icing? Would that help or make it worse?

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 9:56pm
post #9 of 20

I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused. Do you make your loops ahead of time and let them dry? If not, you should. I always make mine with fondant with a little bit of gum tex mixed in. Let them sit, usually overnight is good as long as the humidity isn't horrendous! Then I place the loops directly on the cake. I start with a circular row on the bottom, the one on top of that and so on until I fillit up. Sometimes I'll use a little blob of buttercream the same color of my cake to hold them in place. Hope it helps.

jreimer Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 10:10pm
post #10 of 20

Yes, I've been letting the loops dry first.

buttercream holds them up alright? It seems that wouldn't get hard enough to hold them in place...

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 10:20pm
post #11 of 20

I make mine out of fondant with gumtex mixed in to speed up the drying process. If the cake is due Friday I usually make the loops (lay them on their sides to dry) by Monday night so they are good to go when I am ready to assemble. To assemble I get a round shallow tupperware container and put a piece of wax paper in the bottom, next I out a glob of candy melts in the bottom and arrange the bottom layer, I put the next layer on and then add a bit more candy melt to the center and continue this process until the bow is assembled. Give it time to set once set I check each loop to make sure it is attached if it wiggles I add a dab more of candy melt. By trial and error I have learned that you don't need as much glue as you think. HTH

jreimer Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 12:19am
post #12 of 20

I'll try the candy melts - do you color them to match the bow? Or will it not show?

I think I was using too much of the royal icing, I didn't dab, I GLOBBED! icon_lol.gif

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 1:35am
post #13 of 20

I use straight fondant with no gumpaste or gumtex added and so far so good! The chocolate does sound yummy though!

Debbie

jreimer Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 1:15am
post #14 of 20

Okay, so tonight I'm making the gumpaste bow - not the loop bow, but the other one.... that looks like a bow that you tie..

My first time working with gumpaste - is it supposed to be GUMMY?? lol, I know its in the name, but just making sure!

Also, after making these bows ahead of time for a cake this weekend... I'm wondering, for the tails, I'd like to adjust them on the cake, so they look all flowy... any suggestions on the best way to do that? Since I made them tonight already, I'm probably sh** out of luck... I thought about maybe zapping them in the microwave for a couple seconds when I'm putting them on the cake - what do you think?? Bad idea?

hope22023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hope22023 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 10:13am
post #15 of 20

Jreimer-

If your gumpaste is sticky/gummy when you are working with it, lightly coat your hands with crisco. This will make the gumpaste feel less sticky. As far as the streamers of the bow, once gumpaste is hardened, its hardened (at least thats been my experience). When I have made flowing streamers, I have made them directly on the cake and used tissue to support any ruffles. HTH

jreimer Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:44pm
post #16 of 20

I did end up putting a little crisco on my hands to help 'un-stick' the gumpaste, I just didn't know it was normal, but it sounds like it is...

Its really humid here, so I think it will always be sticky.

I didn't think I'd be able to put these streamers on the cake not dry, since I'm not just laying them down ON the cake, I'm more like standing them up... I don't know how to explain it. I ended up putting some tissues underneath parts of them last night to give them more of a flowing look. It probably won't be QUITE right, but hopefully it won't be too noticeable.

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:49pm
post #17 of 20

I always use PS with gumpaste and Shortening with fondant. The PS will also help dry out you gumpaste. Good Luck

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:54pm
post #18 of 20

I think gemini needs to do a tutorial for us....hint , hint icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

GeminiRJ Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 5:20pm
post #19 of 20

dester...I'd love to do a tutorial. The problem is that I have no clue how to upload digital photos. (My in-laws have the camera, and I've never used it). Maybe I'll twist my teenagers arms to help me with this!

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 7:01pm
post #20 of 20

I made my girlfriend take pictures of my cakes for months because I didn't know how to upload them to email them to my sisters. Then one day I plugged the "thingy" into the "doohicky" and voila the computer did the rest of the work just had to answer a couple of questions. But I'm sure my kids would have figured it out faster and known all the technical terms. Hope to see a tutorial soon I love to learn new stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%