Strawberry And/or Banana Scratch Cake?

Baking By imartsy Updated 7 Jun 2007 , 2:24pm by imartsy

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 18

I've been asked to make a one layer strawberry, one layer banana cake w/ chocolate icing. I'm considering doing a ganache as filling & as the icing. I saw a bunch of banana & strawbery cake recipes in the Recipes here at CC, but it's just so hard to know if they're really good..... so does anyone have a favorite scratch strawberry or scratch banana recipe?

One of the recipes here said the banana cake tasted like banana bread... I'm not sure I really want that..... especially mixed w/ a strawberry cake........

17 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 18

Hero makes strawberry and banana compounds that you can add to your favorite white or yellow cake recipe. Thats what I do. They really are fantastic.

Lisa422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa422 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 18

I frequently use the strawberry scratch cake recipe on this site. It's pretty sweet, but all strawberry cakes are. the texture is perfect. Close to a box mix, but a richer flavor. It gets rave reviews!

Lisa

imartsy Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 18

Lisa422, which recipe is that? What's the title and/or who submitted it?

Thanks!

Lisa422 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 18

It's this one...

Strawberry Cake from Scratch

Serves/Yields: 2 - 9 inch cake layers. (14 servings)
Prep. Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Category: Strawberry Cakes
Difficulty: easy

It is hard to find scratch strawberry cakes, so this one is worth it weight in gold to me as a caterer. I made this cake for a child's birthday party. It was a major hit! Frost with cream cheese or vanilla frosting - or for a treat, use a chocolate glaze!

2 cups white sugar
1 (3 ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin
1 cup butter, softened
4 eggs (room temperature)
2 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup whole milk, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup strawberry puree made from frozen sweetened strawberries

1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.

2 In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and dry strawberry gelatin until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Combine the flour and baking powder; stir into the batter alternately with the milk. Blend in vanilla and strawberry puree. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.

3 Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a small knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool in their pans over a wire rack for at least 10 minutes, before tapping out to cool completely.

Source: GOTHICGIRL

imartsy Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 18

Thank you!!!!!!

Lisa422 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 18

You're welcome...Enjoy!!

imartsy Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 7:18pm
post #8 of 18

Thank you!!!!!!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 7:22pm
post #9 of 18

I use the same one as Lisa, but I cut 1/2c of sugar from it and use fresh pureed strawberries (unsweetened) - it makes no difference to the texture, but stops it being so cloyingly sweet!

Lisa422 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovibabe

I use the same one as Lisa, but I cut 1/2c of sugar from it and use fresh pureed strawberries (unsweetened) - it makes no difference to the texture, but stops it being so cloyingly sweet!

That's a good idea. I'm going to try it. I also recommend whipped frosting. It tastes soooooo good!

imartsy Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 7:25pm
post #11 of 18

Ooh thanks bonjovibabe! So are you saying you puree strawberries yourself? Or is that something you buy? How much do you add? 1/2 cup?

Lisa422 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 7:32pm
post #12 of 18

The recipe calls for pureed sweetened strawberries. You can just add them without sweetening them. Yes, I make them myself. I puree 1/2 cup with my hand blender. Then add it to the batter.

reapergrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reapergrrl Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 7:35pm
post #13 of 18

i feel like such a newbie now! i didn't know what scatch cake was and i read further and almost killed myself 4 being soooooooooooo incredibly stupid. im going to go cry now icon_cry.gif .O and eat cookies. yum

Lisa422 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 7:38pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by reapergrrl

i feel like such a newbie now! i didn't know what scatch cake was and i read further and almost killed myself 4 being soooooooooooo incredibly stupid. im going to go cry now icon_cry.gif .O and eat cookies. yum

LOL! Don't worry, well all have those moments. How are you suppose to know if you've never heard of it before. I'm just picturing what "scratching a cake" looks like... icon_lol.gif Just kidding. Hey, have some cookies for me icon_wink.gif

imartsy Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 11:00pm
post #15 of 18

now what about banana cake?? Anyone have a recipe for that - one that would go well w/ a strawberry layer too?

Lisa422 Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 11:43am
post #16 of 18

I have a recipe that I use. It's on a recipe card that I tweaked a bit. It's light, fluffy and it is super good! But I'm on my way out the door right now. PM me as a reminder and I'll send it to you later today.

RICKASH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RICKASH Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 12:15pm
post #17 of 18

Try this recipe for banana cake it is soo moist, and dense enough to hold decorations. It has a super moist cake texture with a real banana taste.

1/2 cup oil
1 & 1/2 cups castor sugar(normal sugar will be fine)
2 eggs
3-4 mashed bananas (large ones)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup milk with 1 teaspoon vinegar added
1 & 3/4 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

* Preheat oven to 350.F
Prepare 2x20cm cake tins.
mix oil and sugar until well blended.
Add eggs and bananas and mix well.
Add baking soda to milk/vinegar mix.
Combine flour, baking powder and salt and sift.
Alternately add milk and flour and mix well.
pour into prepared tins and bake for about 30 minutes.
(you can place in 1 collared tin for approx 45 mins test with a skewer).

imartsy Posted 7 Jun 2007 , 2:24pm
post #18 of 18

Thanks Rikash! I totally didn't get an e-mail saying there was another post! Thanks!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%