Brand, Spanking Newbie!

Decorating By Jenn01844 Updated 5 Jun 2007 , 9:56pm by GenGen

Jenn01844 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn01844 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 16

Hi everyone....My name is Jennifer. I am brand new to this website....and also cake decorating. I've been so interested for years about cake decorating and I would always find myself buying books to look at the pictures!!

Anyways, I finally decided my life has calmed down enought to go ahead and take Wilton classes. I start Wilton 1 tommorrow night!!!

I bought a bunch of tips and tools and a cake saver and I was too excited to hold off till Wednesday....I decided to make a buttercream last night! That was fairly easy! I can't believe I always bought the pre-made when all i had to do ws whip up some butter, sugar..etc.

I'm from Massachusetts. I'm only 23 but, I'm married. 2 years this October. Scary! LoL! icon_surprised.gif I have a kitten named Johnny Cash who likes to sample all the treats I make....whether he is allowed to or not. I have a Bachelor's in Graphic Design from UMASS and work as a designer making advertising. I have a very artsy eye and feel It is the reason I am drawn to cake decorating.

Wish me luck for tomorrow. I will be posting pictures as soon as I make something! My motivation for wanting to learn cake decorating is for my parents 25th Anniversary next May. I want to make them a gorgeuos tiered cake....

If anyone has any Buttercream suggestions please let me know. I made the Domino Sugar Recipe Last night and was pleased with the consistency but feel it was to sweet and am looking for something more creamy.

Thanks-Jenn icon_biggrin.gif [/b]

15 replies
1234cakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234cakemom Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 16

Welcom to CC and cake decorating!! I just started using the odessas crusting buttercream recipe that I found right here at CC. It is very simple and makes about 16 cups of buttercream, so I dont have to double the batch. It is also very tasty( my husband loves it so much he usually ends up with a stomach ache HAHAHA) Good luck with your classes. I myself am self taught,( cant afford to take classes with three kids) But I have learned a great deal from everyone here at CC, you are going to love it! I am making my first tiered cake this weedend for a friends daughters graduation. I already started with the decorations, they are all cut out and drying right now. I cant wait to put it all together, hopfully with no kids bugging me to help lol. My birthday is thursday so I made a birthday cake that I am going to let them decorate tommarrow and I am hoping they will get their fill and I can work in peace Saterday. I know you will make great cakes because I can tell you have a passion for it. Your parents will be thrilled, Im sure.Good Luck to You and Happy Decorating!!

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 16

Welcome! Beware the sign at the top. This site is truely adicting. There are many receipes in the receipes section. You will learn a class buttercream in your course one. I use a variation of it. Replacing 1/2 the shortning with butter. A lot of people like the buttercream dream on here. I've take course 1 & 2. I start courses 3 & fondant/gumpaste next week. Good luck with your classes. Look forward to seeing some pics of your great cakes.

Judi

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:26pm
post #4 of 16

Hey Welcome Jenn,

Good Luck with your class and I can't wait to see your cake.

Welcome Welcome Welcome. thumbs_up.gif

misscoffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misscoffey Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 16

hi jennifer,

I am also from massachusetts and was wondering what part you hail from. My name is Melissa and I live in Worcester area (Auburn).

I joined the website last year and have been having fun ever since! It is a great place to see pics and get ideas, tips, and other info.
Good luck and have lots of fun!!

kidsnurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kidsnurse Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 16

Hi Jen, You're in the same place I was 3 months ago! That's when I took my first Wilton class and I'm hooked! Seems like everytime I visit this site I am re-inspired to get baking.

I'm using Julie's Less Sweet Buttercream currently and have gotten rave reviews from family and friends. Try it out!

Any WELCOME!!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 16

Welcome to the board. You will find lost of helpful stuff here.

Make sure you check out the "articles" section at top of page. Lots of information to help you. The recipe section is great. Look forward to see your cakes.

Just a note if are interested in any topics post if you go down to the bottom of the page their a line "watch topic for replies" click and it will be saved for you to review if you do not make any comments.

To see your saved topics, go to "FORUMS" and click the tap "watched topics" You delete and keep what you want for future stuff.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 16

Welcome fellow R-Tist!

You graphic artist types use to scare the bee-gees out of me when I was in art school. (It was your business acumen, but now however I thoroughly love the structured business sense immensely and have learned plenty!) icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Enjoy your cake stylin' it will certainly let out your Muse to play!!!!!!!!!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 4:52pm
post #9 of 16

welcome to cc! I have been decorating for just over two years now and before that I never baked in my life ... I started in early april '05 and by september '05 I made my parents 35th anniversary cake in my photos .. it was my very first tiered cake with royal icing .. its surprising what you learn here in just a few short months! good luck and don't forget to post all of your pics!

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:08pm
post #10 of 16

Welcome to CC! This site is addictive! LOL

I am also new to cake decorating. I love it! I'm already hooked!

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:12pm
post #11 of 16

Welcome! We can always use more decorators to input great ideas and photos. I'm sure it won't be anytime at all until you're uploading great photos!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 6:15pm
post #12 of 16

Welcome to CC! This is a wonderful place for inspiration and wonderful support and help! Your graphic design background is going to make you a wonderful cake artist!! Have fun and enjoy the process!

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 7:16pm
post #13 of 16

What a beautiful name you have icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome to CC! You will learn so much from here, and the best part...such wonderful/helpful and kind-hearted members on CC=) Everyone has been so great to me on here, it feels like home=) Definately take the time to read all you can on here, I have learned so much from all the wonderful CC members that are so nice enough to share the tips/secrets thumbs_up.gif Have fun at your classes, I have heard that they are a great way to get the basics down, then you can grow into your own style as a decorator. I am hoping to take some classes here in the future too, but like others, the $$ just isn't there now. Great to have you in our cake family! Jen

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 7:39pm
post #14 of 16

Welcome to cake central, read through the forums and learn your way around the website you will love it!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 9:56pm
post #16 of 16

I'm a newbie to cc also but not new to cakes.. but i'm also not as experienced as many i've seen here lol i'm more of a rut person; i stay with thingsi know i can do better. which isn't fondant etc.

I've taken one wilton class as a gift from hubby but most of what they taught in that class i already had been doing for years. I started dabbling so to speak when iwas about sixteen and managed a dinosaur shape with a butter knife on my mom and step dads anniversary cake- had no clue about shaped pans or decorating tips and bags then lol.

the first design cake i made i learned to do the basket weave by watching martha stewart one day and that became the one i'd do for a while till i learned to branch off and discovered wilton books heheh

most of what i do now is i take pictures of cakes i like.i study them to learn how "I" could do them and if i think i can i give it a try.

so far my arch enemy are frosting/RI flowers etc. i've tended to stick with silks or real flowers lol. but hey it works. i've fooled everyone every time i make the cactus cake so it can't be too bad icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%