Powdered Sugar Left On Fondant??

Decorating By Regan Updated 5 Jun 2007 , 7:55pm by mmgiles

Regan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Regan Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 15

I am attempting to make my first fondant bow and last night I rolled out the fondant and got all my 'ribbons' setting as we speak. But I have powdered sugar all over my fondant from rolling the fondant, is there a way to get that off?? My fondant is a mixture of pink, purple & yellow so the white is very noticeable. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

14 replies
staceyd1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyd1984 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 15

once the bow is dry id take a pastry brush and gently brush it off! wait til its dry tho or youll get brush marks!

staceyd1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyd1984 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 15

i hope u have pastry brushes cus im in the uk!

what ever little brush you would use to brush water on the edges of your pastry to make it stick when you make a pie!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 15

Just a tip, use shortening to roll out your fondant next time. It works great, you don't get any sticking, and there is no residue.

As the other said, I would just try to lightly rub off the PS.

Stephanie

crablegs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crablegs Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 15

what if there is still powdered sugar on it after you use the pastry brush? Can you gently rub it with Crisco?

nickymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickymom Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 15

I echo the tip...use a little shortening next time to roll the fondant out(a little goes a long way so don't use a lot)

I agree this time you could try and use a little brush to get it off....you may even have to dampen the brush a little..wet it then pat it dry before touchng the fondant.

Good luck

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:51pm
post #7 of 15

I saw one of Duff's girls on Ace of Cakes use alcohol in the airbrush to get rid of corn starch on fondant. I assume that would also work on powdered sugar. Just brushing it off when your bows are dry will work just fine too.

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:57pm
post #8 of 15

I use a little alcohol and paint brush. Then I let the alcohol dry before touching it. If I'm in a pinch for time I'll put the bow on the cake and brush with alchol while it's already on the cake.

Regan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Regan Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 2:02pm
post #9 of 15

Thank you so much for all these helpful hints!

crablegs Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 2:13pm
post #10 of 15

I don't mean to sound stupid but here I go. Is it just regular rubbing alchol or is it like rum or something?

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 2:18pm
post #11 of 15

When I was making black fondant for a cake I had a problem with powdered sugar on it and it made it look gray! Someone told me to use a little bit of cooking spray on a paper towel and rub it on the fondant. It worked really well. I had tried brushing with a pastry brush and that still left my black gray.

m_ree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_ree Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 2:26pm
post #12 of 15

hmm.. would it work if you put alcohol like vodka or soho in one of those atomizer (sp?) bottles? like the kind ppl use to cook with & it mists the liquid over whatever it is your spraying...

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 2:40pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by crablegs

I don't mean to sound stupid but here I go. Is it just regular rubbing alchol or is it like rum or something?

use something edible - I'd go for vodka myself - something clear.

crablegs Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 5:29pm
post #14 of 15

thanks for the help. one more thing, in the instructions for pulled sugar it said to gloss it 20-30 times. is that something like kneading it?

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 7:55pm
post #15 of 15

I use rubbing alcohol. It evaborates so quickly there's nothing left to ingest.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%