Flavoring Fondant

Decorating By poochynooch Updated 19 Jul 2006 , 5:10am by poochynooch

poochynooch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poochynooch Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 12

Im making a bride doll cake for a shower next month and I plan to use fondant for the dress. Im not really crazy about the stuff as it's taste leaves alot to be desired. Buttercream just wont give me the look I want to achieve. Question: any ideas / tricks to flavoring the fondant before I roll out and use? icon_confused.gif

11 replies
ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 12

Use MMF and add vanilla extract. It's yummy!

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 12

I have added almond or melted white chocolate. Either tastes good, just depends on your cake and icing flavors.

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 12

I add flavor to MMF all the time. I've used raspberry, pineapple, etc., depending on what kind of cake it is.

Aries-04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aries-04 Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 12

I have added candy flavor.Yumm!

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 12

Yes, I have added candy flavoring (Wilton) and love the raspberry. Best of luck!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by poochynooch

Im making a bride doll cake for a shower next month and I plan to use fondant for the dress. Im not really crazy about the stuff as it's taste leaves alot to be desired. Buttercream just wont give me the look I want to achieve. Question: any ideas / tricks to flavoring the fondant before I roll out and use? icon_confused.gif

1. Start off with a good quality fondant that taste pretty good. Can't start off with a bad tasting fondant

2. Apply buttercream as thick instead of just doing a crumbcoat.

3. Roll fondant out on the thin side. Then apply to the buttercream.

I find this way the fondant will tend to melt in to the buttercream on the underside. Also It will pick up the flavor of the buttercream. It's won't be as chewy and if someone does not like the fondant they can peel it and still have icing.

Jasra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasra Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 12

I didn't know you could add flavour to fonant! That's a great idea! How much flavouring do you add? I'm so glad you asked about this!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 16 Jul 2006 , 11:53pm
post #9 of 12

made lemon MMF yesterday...one capful was just right for a nice light flavor.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 12:05am
post #10 of 12

I have the answer, even for bad fondant. I had purchased Wilton fondant to play around with & bought some CK concentrated drops in cherry cordial. OMG it was so good that my husband just wanted to sit & eat it. I got mine from a local cake store. And the best thing is it only takes a few drops--you can use it in buttercream too. So, problem solved for any fondant.

Here is a site that shows them. They are 1/2 oz, but a little goes a long way! Try it, guarantee you'll love it. http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/mini.aspx?T=3&SubCatId=1055

nalyjuan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nalyjuan Posted 17 Jul 2006 , 12:10am
post #11 of 12

Wow great question..do you add the flavoring instead of the water (like for MMF) or do you add it in afterward or is it like half water then half the flavor. Thanks in advance.

poochynooch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poochynooch Posted 19 Jul 2006 , 5:10am
post #12 of 12

Thanks to all for the great ideas -- Ive never used MMF, not sure if I want to experiment with this task, but it sounds like it might taste better. Decision, Decisions..........Thanks again for the tips! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%