Chocolate Sponge Cake

Baking By awela Updated 3 Dec 2004 , 4:29pm by SquirrellyCakes

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 30 Nov 2004 , 2:49am
post #1 of 7

I have never tried to make a chocolate sponge cake. My husband asked me to make one for his birthday this coming saturday. Maybe someone has a recipe they could share with me?

Thanks girls.

6 replies
sbeec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbeec Posted 30 Nov 2004 , 6:49pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by awela

I have never tried to make a chocolate sponge cake. My husband asked me to make one for his birthday this coming saturday. Maybe someone has a recipe they could share with me?

Thanks girls.

Hope this is the recipe you are looking for.

Happy Baking,
Irene

Sponge Cake

Ingredients
(A)
5 eggs
150 gm / 5 ozs castor sugar

(B)
120 / 4 ozs gm flour

(C)
80 gm / 3 ozs melted butter

Method:
1. Put (A) in the mixing bowl and whip till light and fluffy

2. Fold in (B) and mix till well blended

3. Stir in (C) and mix till well incorprated. Pour batter into a 9 inches
round mould.

4. Bake at 180 C / 350F for 30 minutes. Remove it form the mould immediately when baked.

Note:
To make chocolate sponge,add 2 tbsp of cocoa powder , sieved together with the flour and reduce flour by 20 gm /1 oz. Be sure to whip the cocoa powder and flour thoroughly, but not too long or the batter will sink and the cake will be heavy

To make coffee sponge, add 1 tbsp of coffee paste into the batter before adding the melted butter

awela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awela Posted 30 Nov 2004 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 7

Hi Sbeec,

Thanks for your recipe. I have some questions: a)What kind of flour should I use? b) if it's only 4oz of flour for how many people this cake will be enough? c) should the butter and eggs be at room temperature?

Thank you friend!

sbeec Posted 2 Dec 2004 , 4:14am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by awela

Hi Sbeec,

Thanks for your recipe. I have some questions: a)What kind of flour should I use? b) if it's only 4oz of flour for how many people this cake will be enough? c) should the butter and eggs be at room temperature?

Thank you friend!

(a)All-purpose flour is used in this recipe. (b) I think this cake is for 8 serving and it also depend on how much your family like it (c) butter and eggs must be at room temperature

Happy Baking
icon_smile.gif Irene

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 2 Dec 2004 , 5:24am
post #5 of 7

Hi Sbeec,
Are you in England? I am just wondering something. I know that in England the recipes are made by the weight of the ingredients and not by cup measure the way they generally are in Canada and the U.S. However they are done this way in commercial bakeries in Canada. So when you measure your ingredients are you measuring these amounts on a scale?
Also wanted to say that there are two recipes for chocolate sponge cakes on www.baking911.com. One a sheet cake and the other a jellyroll type.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

sbeec Posted 3 Dec 2004 , 8:37am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Hi Sbeec,
Are you in England? I am just wondering something. I know that in England the recipes are made by the weight of the ingredients and not by cup measure the way they generally are in Canada and the U.S. However they are done this way in commercial bakeries in Canada. So when you measure your ingredients are you measuring these amounts on a scale?
Also wanted to say that there are two recipes for chocolate sponge cakes on www.baking911.com. One a sheet cake and the other a jellyroll type.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Hi
Sorry to say I am not from England but from a small country in Southeast . It is situated north of Singapore and south of Thailand it is known as Malaysia.

Over here we used the scale to measure our ingredients. But sometime I do use the cup to measure if the recipe call for it.

Will you be trying the Sponge Cake I posted?

icon_smile.gif Irene

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 3 Dec 2004 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 7

Hi there. I will probably not try it until the new year. I just wanted to make sure about whether it was weighed or dry cup measured as this surely makes a big difference, haha! I do know that weighing is more accurate, but in North America, unless you are a commercial bakery, you do use the measuring cups and spoons and not a scale. So 4 ounces by weight and 4 ounces by cup makes a huge difference. Regardless, I have a baking scale, so I am set!
Thanks for sharing!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%