I Am At Wits End...please Help Me!

Decorating By tiff2006 Updated 4 Jun 2007 , 6:35am by Cakechick123

tiff2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiff2006 Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 11

Ok, I am having some bad luck with my fondant right now.

I just tried to cover my cake dummy and there were cracks everywhere. I tried smoothing out the cracks with crisco..which may have worked to doctor up a few but..it wasn't realistic for the entire cake.

My fondant was pleating around the dummy as well (round dummy). And breaking at the edges.

Before even putting the fondant on the cake..it was kind of cracking and had imperfections in it.

Is it because my fondant is too dry? I worked in a bit of crisco to no avail.

Also, I am using Toba Garret's recipe.

I'm about to give up with homemade fondant.

Is it easier to just by maybe a big tub of white satin ice and color it myself?

Tips would be so helpful...

Thanks.

10 replies
yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 11

I use Collette Peters' recipe for fondant, which I have discovered is the same as Toba Garrett's. So, in answer to your problems, I definitely think you need to knead more shortening in it.

I learned in my Wilton Fondant and Gumpaste class that fondant needs to be kneaded until it is stretchy. When you pull it apart, it needs to stretch smooth like taffy does.

As for the pleating around the bottom, that is what happens when covering a round cake. You just need to pull it up, smooth down with your hands, pull up, smooth down with hands all the way around. Kinda like pulling up and smoothing the skirt of a bridal gown.

I've never made a dummy but I understand that it helps to round the top edges a little bit.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 11:11pm
post #3 of 11

Your fondant probably is either too dry to start with, or you're not putting it on your cake fast enough. I find some recipes dry out really quickly and you have to have your cake right beside ready to slap the icing on straight away! I haven't tried that recipe, but I really like the MMF. I've read that some prefer to buy prepackaged fondant, so don't let it worry you if that's what you want to do.

As for the pleating, you need to smooth the icing onto the cake starting from the top, and gently work your way down. Sometimes I'll end up with a little pleat around the bottom and that can be covered with ribbon, a border, or some scrolls etc.

Keep trying!! I know you'll get there!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 11

I warm mine in the micro for a few seconds first. Just a FEW seconds - it can get hot!

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 1:02am
post #5 of 11

I always had trouble covering dummies without softening the edges a little which can be really messy. I found already contoured round dummies for sale from Bakery Crafts. You have to be wholesale to order from them, but CC might have them too, I'm not sure. I got 6"-14" and have had great luck with them for fondant dummies. I also have the set of contour cake pans, so it really helps to show off better what they look like finished! HTH -Lori

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 1:08am
post #6 of 11

It sounds like you do need to knead in some more crisco (I use the microwave trick too. Just for a couple of seconds).

If you have pleating problems, try putting the dummy on a big can (like tomatoes or something). The fondant will hang down over the edge of the cake and basically the pleating happens down past where the cake ends (does that make sense). I wish I could draw a picture for you and post it here.

All that being said. I'm a from scratch bake for everything BUT I think that MMF is just so much easier to use than any other fondant I've ever used. If you warm it slightly, it's just so pliable. It's also extremely inexpensive to make.

I hope that helps somehow!
-Michelle

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 1:25am
post #7 of 11

Just becareful about nuking the fondant. It will get harder faster. And wont be any good.

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 1:29am
post #8 of 11

doescakes,

I've never had that happen with MMF. I only nuke it for about 5 seconds. Has it happened for you with that? I never thought to even be on the lookout for it. I will keep that in mind in the future! The only time I've ever seen it was once a long time ago when I used Wilton.

Thanks for the tip!
-Michelle

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 1:32am
post #9 of 11

I agree with YH9080. After you flare it out a bit you can use the chopping method. Then use your smoother.

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 1:45am
post #10 of 11

Make sure you knead in enough crisco, and that fondant is really pliable and even somewhat warm. Then roll it out in a thick layer....the thickness prevents the tearing.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 6:35am
post #11 of 11

to soften the edges of your dummy, just roll the edge on yuour counter top, this takes the sharp edge and make it a tiny but softer without losing the look
HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%