Making Waves?

Decorating By hollyhox429 Updated 4 Jun 2007 , 1:49pm by aobodessa

hollyhox429 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyhox429 Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 8

My son's birthday party is at the end of this month, and we are having a shark theme. I am planning to do cupcakes with little shark fins on top. My question is, what is the most effective way to get the ocean look using my decorating tips? Thanks in advance!
-Lindsay

7 replies
NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 8

Here is a link that has a few links on how to get the "water" look=) HTH some, Jen

http://forum.cakecentral.com/waterfall-ftopicp-2528671.html#2528671

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 8:03pm
post #3 of 8

I would use piping gel to resemble the ocean and do gumpaste/pastillage shark fins.

elie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elie Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 8

I did a beach cake once and I used a combination of sky blue and sky blue + teal to frost the water. Put a few blobs of each and slightly blend them together as you frost the cupcake. Do not try to smooth the icing, make it look like you would an un-smoothed homemade cake - with the spatula. Then fill a bag with white frosting equipped with a thin writing tip and pipe lines on the ridges that were left. Slightly smooth those lines in to the edges of your "waves". It may take some practice, but I really like how it gives the waves dimension.

hollyhox429 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyhox429 Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 12:03am
post #5 of 8

thank you guys so much! I am really glad I found this site-everyone is so helpful!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 1:26pm
post #6 of 8

I'd use a spatula too, not a decorating tip. draw the icing up into little peaks. The cupcakes with shark fins will be really cute. I'm sure the kids will like them!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 8

I have a shark cake...I think I iced it white and then went over parts of it in airbrush blue...however yesterday I did a quick mermaid cake and used all icing (no airbrush, its in the shop!) and I iced first in white, made the waves, and then put some half mixed blue over top of it and pushed it up close to the white with the spatula so that it looked like whitecaps over the blue.

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 1:49pm
post #8 of 8

I'd use some royal blue, a little evergreen, some white (not too much of this) ... put all 3 in a bowl and gently swirl them together just a very little bit. Take your small spatula and ice the cupcakes with this combination, pulling up some peaks and swirling the icing ... add your shark fin and voila!

HTH,

Odessa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%