Cake Balls.... Ewww? ....

Decorating By melysa Updated 8 Jun 2007 , 11:02pm by Gretta

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 36

just what exactly are cake balls supposed to feel like (texture) in your mouth?

i had some scraps last night and decided to try them out. i faintly remembered reading a post that said basically- mix cake, icing and or filling, roll into a ball, freeze, dip in chocolate. so i did...

used raspberry filling in them, so to start off, they looked like raw meatballs. i suppose not a good way to start off my opinion of cake balls to say the least.

well, dipped them, sprinkled cocoa on them, they looked good, and they tasted good, but i had to kind of think about the texture, it was a little strange. are they supposed to be soft, like soggy cake? everyone raves about them here, and so i thought they'd be amazing, and although i've eaten 7 or 8 by now icon_redface.gif i do believe, that they leave something to be desired....

input? did i do something wrong?

35 replies
bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 36

You probably got them too soggy, I like them more cakey (if that's a word?) than that. I have had mine too soggy & didn't like them either. But try freezing them, then eat one, that firms them up. The consistency I strive for is that of a little drier than cookie dough, does that make sense? If I put in too much liquid, I add powdered sugar or cocoa to compensate.

HTH!

lu9129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lu9129 Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 36

I had the same reaction when I made my 1st batch!!! lol
There really isn't a right way to do them. Just play with them. Learn to make them!!!!! I get $10 a dozen. They are my best sellers for quick stuff. I get alot of people that needs something last minute. I just pop some out of the freezer put chocolate on them. They usually want 3 or more dozen. It's a quick 30-50 bucks! Always seems to come when I am broke! lol

Lu

jtb94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtb94 Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 36

When I make them they remind me of gooey brownies. I don't like the texture of them either. But my children do.

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 36

I think cake truffles as my friends call them are something you either like or you hate. My husband and daughter hate them . Everyone at work loves them. Same thing happened when i demoed them at our cake club some loved them and others ddin't.

melysa Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 36

yeah, i suppose they were toooo moist. i froze them, then after dipping kept them refigerated, and they are OK- but i think at room temperature they'd be nasty. i MAY try them again with less wet ingredients added , i could probably stomach them a little better. my 8 year old son loved the first one, spit the second one out! i WAS going to add them to a cake order i delivered this morning, but opted against it because they were just a little bit weird!

try and try again i suppose- we'll see!

ccwkg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccwkg Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 36

If you make them and sell them, how much do you charge for them?

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 36

My parents won't touch them ... my sister loves them ... I can't figure out my feelings for them =) I made some out of carrot cake and cream cheese icing and flattened them a bit so that you wouldn't have to bite into so much at a time ... those ones looked like chocolate covered sausage patties!!! =)

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 8:06pm
post #9 of 36

My family prefers them a little moister then cakier lol... (I don't think that's a word icon_sad.gif) and my mother loves loves LOVES them lol she wiped the entire plate of them out christmas day before dinner was even started lol... they were meant for after dinner.... I've had people tell me I could get $10.~ a dozen for them or more... so I found the way everyone likes em and I'm stickin with it. So I guess that's the way you need to do it, find the way your friends and family and yourself like them the best and stick with it icon_wink.gif

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 9:30pm
post #10 of 36

I tried to make cake balls once and it was a disaster .. I wound up with something non-edible from something that once was edible ... my dh suggested I try again but never have yet ...

baker4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker4life Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 10:12pm
post #11 of 36

It happened to me too. I had a ton of scraps left over and I thought, "Hey I'm finally gonna make these infamous cake balls!"

Yuck!!! Didn't like them. I thought I was the only one in the world who didn't like them.

Mine were yellow cake with french vanilla creamer coated in chocolate. I think they tasted better without the chocolate and I had them in the freezer before coating.

Audraj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Audraj Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 10:21pm
post #12 of 36

Just looking at the recipe for them, I went "Ewwwww". I'd rather throw the leftover cake down the disposal.

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 10:23pm
post #13 of 36

I agree... I finally tried making them last night. I was so excited to try them... I got as far as the freezer step... never even put the chocolate on, they went straight to the garbage can. I used the 2 cups of scraps, 2 tbs french vanilla, 2 tbs powdered sugar, and 2 tbs cocoa powder. They were way too moist, so I added probably another 2 cups of cake scraps (all that I had left), scooped into balls, and put in the freezer... then the garbage can.

What did I do wrong??? Or am I just one of those people that don't like them???

woodyfam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodyfam Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 10:24pm
post #14 of 36

I made them and they were a huge hit. I do agree the texture can throw you. We found that the ones I rolled in nuts after dipping were most popular. The crunch give it more of a texture.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 10:28pm
post #15 of 36

Wow, glad to know I'm not the only one that didn't care for cake balls. I tried a batch using coffee creamer. My husband & in-laws loved them, but I didn't like the texture. I was going to take some to work, but for some reason, I have a hard time serving something that I don't like. Maybe I'll try them again someday using bc as the binder. I'd rather eat a pnut butter or almond joy ball, & they're just as easy to make.

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 10:34pm
post #16 of 36

I think it is funny that we are finally admitting we don't like them =)

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 10:39pm
post #17 of 36

I tried making cake balls too and did not like them. The recipe I used called for liquor instead of icing to moisten. I dipped them in chocolate. After a day in the fridge they were better, but I would not make them again.

Here is a recipe from wrenscottage.com for cake scrap cookies. I have not tried this yet, but it sounds pretty good. I would definitely cut the recipe down to 1/2 though.

Cake Scrap Cookies
Yield
8 - 10 dozen cookies

Ingredients
8 cups firmly packed cake scraps
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 cut granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons flavoring

Directions
Preheat oven to 325°F. In large mixing bowl, add cake scraps and mix until it forms a heavy paste. Add shortening. Mix well. Add baking powder, sugar, eggs and flavorings. Beat until well blended and smooth. Blend in nuts, chocolate chips, or coconut by hand as desired. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto lightly greased cookie sheet.

Bake for 13-17 minutes or until edges are a light golden brown. Cool 2 minutes and remove from cookie sheet. Continue to cool on cooling grid.

Variations
Chocolate cake scraps with 1 cup dark chocolate chips, 1 cup white chocolate chips and 2 cups chopped walnuts, pecans or almonds.
Chocolate cake scraps with 2 cups peanut butter chips and 2 cups chopped peanuts.
Substitute 2 cups oatmeal for 2 cups of white or yellow cake scraps. Add 2 cups butterscotch chips and 2 cups walnuts, pecans or almonds.
Strawberry cake scraps with 2 cups white chocolate chips and 2 cups shredded coconut.
Lemon cake scraps with 2 cups dried cranberries and 2 cups of chopped almonds.
Lemon cake scraps swirled with raspberry filling and topped with confectioners sugar glaze.
Half spice or carrot cake scraps and half white or yellow cake scraps with 1 cup raisins, 1 cup dried fruit pieces and 2 cups hopped walnuts, pecans or almonds.

briannastreats Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 12:01am
post #18 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

Here is a recipe from wrenscottage.com for cake scrap cookies.

Thank you!! I'll definately have to try this too the next time I have cake scraps left over. (already sounds better than cake balls)

baker4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker4life Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 12:29am
post #19 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge

I think it's because to me, it seemed like everyone who tried them loved them!! I was following the directions and I thought i screwed something up.

LOL

Hi...I'm tamrks...and I don't like cake balls!!! thumbs_up.gif

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 12:34am
post #20 of 36

I think they are way too sweet. It has gotten to where I don't do decorated cakes much anymore; everyone wants these things.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 12:44am
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audraj

Just looking at the recipe for them, I went "Ewwwww". I'd rather throw the leftover cake down the disposal.

LOL! Glad I'm not the only one!

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 12:59am
post #22 of 36

I don't add liqued,filling or icing. I just moosh the cake scraps up and roll into balls. I some times add nuts or bits of oreos or smashed up candy bars then dip in milk chocolate or white chocolate. Drizzel caramel or heath bar bits on top. My family would rather eat cake balls than cake and the firemen next door are always asking for them. I hate the mooshy gooey ones, mine have a brownie like texture. I brush my cakes with simple syrup before wrapping and freezing so they are always moist and I don't have to add anything to the scraps. Although when I make cakes with the sour cream extender they come out so moist I don't need to add simple syrup to cakes or scraps.

briannastreats Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:09am
post #23 of 36

If I were to try them again, I try dolfin's way. Thanks for the ideas, and letting me know I'm not the only one...

steffy8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffy8 Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:11am
post #24 of 36

I've had mixed reviews too. My cake scraps don't last around here long enough to make cake balls anyway. DH and DD eat them up!!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:25am
post #25 of 36

steffy8 - nice signature!!! ROFL!!! icon_lol.gif

melysa Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:35am
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge

while still on the first page reading, and i was thinking the same thing!

melysa Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 1:36am
post #27 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannastreats

If I were to try them again, I try dolfin's way. Thanks for the ideas, and letting me know I'm not the only one...

yeah, that definately sounds a ton better. not a fan of moosh- did that when was a baby.

canoewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canoewoman Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 11:04pm
post #28 of 36

I didn't like them either. What chocolate are you to coat them with. I used the candy coating and found that the outside was way too hard. The cake itself was way too moist and gooey. I threw mine in the garbage also. Will have to try again with another cake but so far they get a thumbs down from me.

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 12:37am
post #29 of 36

I have only made them once, and they were a huge hit, but I didn't use the coffee creamer to bind them. I used marble cake scraps, a little chocolate buttercream, peanut butter, and then threw in some chocolate chips (why not). They were quite firm - more of a brownie-like texture, then I dipped them in chocolate and drizzled with peanut butter candy melts. After my kids had quite a few, I took what was left to work and everyone raved - the look of bliss when they bit into them was quite satisfying. They were so good this way, I don't know if I'd make them any differently the next time!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 12:34pm
post #30 of 36

Thebonly ones I've ever made that anyone liked were german chocolate. I added some of the coconut pecan icing with them, and dipped in choocolate. I think they taste like already chewed cake. I have a weak stomach when it comes to textures of food. I've made brownie balls before mixed wit htoffee chips and dipped in chocolate, and they were very good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%