Kepping A Cake Moist

Decorating By hamlove Updated 14 Jul 2006 , 8:53pm by Somethin-Sweet

hamlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamlove Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 14

Is there anything I can put in my cakes to make them stay moist longer. I am working on a caramel cake and it always comes out to stiff. Will putting sour cream or buttermilk work. How much would you put in. I bake with two nine inch pans. If anyone could give some tips I thank you. thumbs_up.gif

13 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 14

I have made a caramel cake before, and my recipe makes a very dry cake. So I poured a jar of caramel ice cream topping over the cake. It was great!

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 14

yes buttercream will improve it.

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 14

Using a simple syrup made od water and sugar will really help with the moistness of a cake. usaribbon.gif

HTH

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 14

If you don't do this already, wrap the cake in plastic wrap while it is still hot. That will keep any moisture that is in the cake and not let it escape. As for it being an already dry recipe, no tips here.

mariamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariamom Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 14

I have heard of the plastic wrap thing before, does anyone know if it will work for cupcakes? I have some to do and then take 6 hours and decorate the next day.

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 14

I wrap mine in Saran Wrap as soon as they are turned out of the pan......then pop them in the freezer to cool. They are super moist, but sturdy enough for stacking or 3D. Oh, I use a box of pudding, a cup of sour cream, and an extra egg plus what the directions call for.

hamlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamlove Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 14

so using about a cup of sour cream in any cake is ok. does anybody have a good caramel recipe with the caramel topping. I am still having a few problems on deciding to use white or brown sugar. thanks to all. icon_biggrin.gif

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 9:02am
post #9 of 14

brown sugar wil help with the colour

sandi64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandi64 Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 10:37am
post #10 of 14

I wrap my cakes in plastic wrap about 20-30 minutes after it comes out of the oven then right before I frost my cake I melt apricot jam with a little water and brush the cake and it is very moist.

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 8:46pm
post #11 of 14

These are very interesting tips. I never heard of wrapping a cake while still warm. I think I'll try it. It doesn't make it gooey?

Somethin-Sweet Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 8:48pm
post #12 of 14

Nope............just moist and delish!

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 8:52pm
post #13 of 14

Cool! I'm going to try it. I'm learning so much! This is amazing. Ok, so far I've learned that I should wrap my cake while warm and then freeze it to prevent crumbs. Awesome!!!

Somethin-Sweet Posted 14 Jul 2006 , 8:53pm
post #14 of 14

This site is awesome! You will be amazed at what you are going to learn from all of the people here!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%