People Using Photos That Aren't Their's

Decorating By franjmc Updated 13 Jul 2006 , 6:20pm by mmdd

franjmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franjmc Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 7:35am
post #1 of 29

I have just been informed that someone is copying photos of cakes, I am fairly sure they are getting them from CC and posting to their own website, under a section they are marking "not my cakes". this person is commenting on these cakes, and I find this not only rude but in very bad taste.

The website is:

http://www.alicekeeler.net/

I suggest that CC members check that their cakes aren't on there without their permission.

I have sent and email asking this person to remove my photo immediately.

I am really angered by this icon_evil.gifthumbsdown.gificon_mad.gificon_sad.gif

I feel that members of this site benefit from the knowledge of others, and I am always happy to help other members, as well as being helped by many over time. These sorts of things make me want to remove all my photos and to stop helping others. I don't like being taken advantage of.

28 replies
tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 7:39am
post #2 of 29

Omg!! I find this so rude and underhanded!! I didn't see anything I did on the site, but I saw some that I recognized. How can people be allowed to do this?? It is so disrespectful! Good looking out there, Fran!

RaRaRobyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RaRaRobyn Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 7:46am
post #3 of 29

What a bummer. And she has no room to critque. What a shame, she must be doing it to make herself feel better?

Some people just don't get it.
Thank you for bringing it to all of our attention.
I like how she credits other peoples sites, but doesn't say she got any of them from CakeCentral.

Butthead.

Robyn usaribbon.gif

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 8:38am
post #4 of 29

Yup
Me unhappy too. I feel the same way as you Fran. Because this person didnt even ask to put MY cake on her website. HOW RUDE!!!
icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif

I've also seen cakes in there from boween, godiva, desertm, heavenlycakes, sarahscakes and who knows who else. I recognized these ppl's cakes, because i am familiar with their work.

Im with you Fran, not happy!!!

I am also willing to help people with anything they need, i dont even mind if anyone copies my designs and doesnt give me credit, but to take my pictures without permission and post them on their website is just NOT ON!!!!

ANGRY Natalia!!!!!!

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 8:39am
post #5 of 29

I did see a cake where she gave credit to cake central.... pretty sure she did not mean any harm...take it as a compliment that she post your cake...(at least she did not say it was hers cake) lets turn this into something postive.... and not let mrs. alice ruffle your tail feather...( some people actually get a kick out it..so do not give her the pleasure)....

boonenati Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 8:42am
post #6 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by trent

I did see a cake where she gave credit to cake central.... pretty sure she did not mean any harm...take it as a compliment that she post your cake...(at least she did not say it was hers cake) lets turn this into something postive.... and not let mrs. alice ruffle your tail feather...( some people actually get a kick out it..so do not give her the pleasure)....

I dont see how giving credit to cake central gives anyone the right to copy anything from their site and post it in theirs.
A lot of photos are copyrighted. Also scanning books and posting them on your website could see you getting sued.
Im sure she'll get a kick out of that
Nati

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 8:45am
post #7 of 29

she is actually breaking the law to use photos that are someone elses.
It is copyright law that you cannot use anyone's photos without their express permission.

TandTHarrell Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 8:48am
post #8 of 29

I did not mean any harm ...... So please do not jump on me when it is not call for ....

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 9:28am
post #9 of 29

I've seen worse. In the past two weeks I have seen two different people on other forums who are using photos as their own. One person has "doctored" the photo to to wipe out the background on several occasions. While I am not an expert in graphic arts, I did worked at a photo lab for quite a while many years ago, and I can recognize a touched-up photo when I see one. The other person has used the photo without any changes.
It's disgusting to make people think that other people's artwork is your own, and if there were a way to prove what these two people are doing, I would happily expose them.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 9:30am
post #10 of 29

My feeling is.........if you want to use someones cake photo as an example then get their permission (in writing - a pm or an email will suffice), and then fully credit them for it saying something like "photo reproduced with the kind permission of its creator XXXXX". Then leave it at that - don't negatively critique it saying things like 'this cake is easier than it looks' - if that's the case DO IT YOURSELF!!! I also believe it's good manners to ask if a cake creator minds if you are going to do an exact copy of a cake they designed, but not if you are literally going to take small elements from a cake and then add it to a different design of your own - paticularly on this site, I don't care so much about my designs (they're crap anyway!), but I know this p**ses some people off when people don't! Just my 2 cents.

franjmc Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 10:48am
post #11 of 29

trent,

I don't think anyone is jumping on you, so please don't feel victimised by this.

I feel very strongly on this issue and I feel that I've been violated to an extent.

This person is not complimenting me, she is using my photo to further herself. She hasn't given me credit for the cake, she has simply taken what's not hers and used it for her own gain. That doesn't make me feel anything but angry.

I'm also mighty peeved that she took Nati's cake as well.
thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif
If anyone knows who this person is on CC, I would appreciate them letting me know so I can PM her and let her know my feelings on the issue

TandTHarrell Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 10:58am
post #12 of 29

so please don't feel victimised by this.

THANK YOU FOR THE COMMENT

I UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM...I JUST TRIED TO TAKE AN NEGATIVE AND MAKE IT A POSTIVE...... YOU GUIYS DO AWESOME WORK.... I ONLY WISH I WAS THAT TALENTED.......

luggi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luggi Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 11:04am
post #13 of 29

franjmc,

if you want to tell her your feelings you can do that!

Didn't you see her e-mail adress at the page?

If not look at "Information". There you can see her picture. Click on it an you can see her adress under the pic.

HTH

Luggi

notsoperfectcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notsoperfectcakes Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 11:04am
post #14 of 29

Well it is sure not the proper thing to do thumbsdown.gif .
I feel for you guys/gals if she/he took your pics. thumbsdown.gif
My cakes aren't as good as the ones posted so I have no worries on anyone stealing my pics!
Well I feel if your gonna take a pic and use it on your site you should ask for permission, I am sure most of us would have let them us the pic but I can see where it has po you off just taking it. Hope ya'll get this solved.
Good Luck audrey

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 11:26am
post #15 of 29

Fran,
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I'm too shocked for words, so I did some digging. I looked at the cakes on her site that she claims are hers, and I recognized several of them from CC. I found them in the galleries and her username is alicegop, if you'd like to PM her.

Hopefully she will comply with your request and not only remove your cake pics, but everyone elses that aren't hers also. Actually, she should remove the entire tab "not my cakes". I understand folks get inspired by other decorators and that's fine, but to post another decorators cakes (whether kutos are given or not), takes a lot of nerve, and to do so without even asking permission is just unreal. She should have just gotten permission from different designers to post a "link" to their website, at most.

Thanks, again and good luck!

nokddng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nokddng Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 11:34am
post #16 of 29

I would email her and let her know how you feel.

franjmc Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 11:47am
post #17 of 29

Cambo,

Thanks for the info, I've sent her a PM, hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Luggi, I did in fact send her an email, as I said in my first post, thanks for your suggestion anyway.

Thanks to everyone for listening to me rant on, I appreciate it a lot.
icon_smile.gif

boonenati Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 1:30pm
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by franjmc

Cambo,

Thanks for the info, I've sent her a PM, hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Luggi, I did in fact send her an email, as I said in my first post, thanks for your suggestion anyway.

Thanks to everyone for listening to me rant on, I appreciate it a lot.
icon_smile.gif

Fran
thanks to you too, you gave me a chance to have a bit of a rant.
Still pictures are still there. Let's hope that she removes them.
Nati

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 1:39pm
post #19 of 29

She has her website link on her posts. Really gutsy if you ask me to put the link there. It's like she wants someone to go look and see what she's done! thumbsdown.gif

Cakers84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakers84 Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 1:47pm
post #20 of 29

Incase anyone finds one of their creations on her web site and wish to have it removed here is her e-address. [email protected] .

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 2:02pm
post #21 of 29

OK Everyone, (DON't Flame Me)

Don't you think perhaps she was using this website for her own use? It's not like she was trying to take credit for anything, and the pictures she picked are of gorgeous cakes. So while I TOTALLY agree she was wrong and should remove the entire tab "Not My Cakes", can't we try to be a little nicer? I really can't believe she intended to cause any problems. Like jen1977 said, she has her website on her CC "signature". I really do think it was an honest mistake.

Now, having said that ... if she refuses to remove all the cakes she stole from CC (and the entire tab in my opinion), then I think she should be reported to The Knot (I saw she stole one of their pictures) and any other copyrighted groups from whom she stole ... and have her CC id revoked.

But until we hear from her (or the Admins do), let's try to be a little kinder and assume it was a big misunderstanding.

JMHO

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 2:38pm
post #22 of 29

Alright guys....it looks like she removed them. Back to cakes now thumbs_up.gif

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 2:39pm
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by franjmc

I have just been informed that someone is copying photos of cakes, I am fairly sure they are getting them from CC and posting to their own website, under a section they are marking "not my cakes". this person is commenting on these cakes, and I find this not only rude but in very bad taste.

The website is:

http://www.alicekeeler.net/

I suggest that CC members check that their cakes aren't on there without their permission.

I have sent and email asking this person to remove my photo immediately.

I am really angered by this icon_evil.gifthumbsdown.gificon_mad.gificon_sad.gif

I feel that members of this site benefit from the knowledge of others, and I am always happy to help other members, as well as being helped by many over time. These sorts of things make me want to remove all my photos and to stop helping others. I don't like being taken advantage of.

I am very sorry about this. I was saving them on there for my own viewing since I really liked the cakes. They were NOT suppose to be public. I thought I had disabled the public view. I apparently didn't do it the right way and I had no idea that that part was viewable from the non login. Since apparently I don't know how to do it correctly I PROMPTLY deleted the entire section so that there is no chance of that accidentally happening again.

I appologize greatly. I truly thought that wasn't available except when I personally logged in and that no one besides me could see it.

Cakers84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakers84 Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 3:08pm
post #24 of 29

Good job in acknowledging everyone's concern, and in handeling it promptly. Hopefully your explanation and apology will be accepted. Then C.C.ers can go on knowing that the C.C. community has once again successfuly helped one another handle a problem. thumbs_up.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 3:43pm
post #25 of 29

I have a great many cake pics saved to my favorites and various cake related files on my pc. They are for my own viewing for ideas for future projects. I have complimented many decorators and told them that I've saved thier pic to my favs. I have never asked anyones permission to do so. I have personally considered it a high compliment when others do the same with the pics I've posted. Have I been wrong in doing this? I don't think so. I doubt alicegop was doing any different that I have been, except that she unknowingly had it tabbed and available to people visiting her web site. Unless she's taken someones cake pics and plastered her name accross the front claiming ownership I don't see what the big fuss is all about. She's just one more decorator seeking inspiration. No real harm done right? And she has apologized and removed the pics. Forgive and forge I say.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 5:48pm
post #26 of 29

I didn't see many cakes on here at all. What? 4 albums and then her friends little albums?

Am I missing something?

beez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beez Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 6:10pm
post #27 of 29

MMDD - Keep reading.... it's now resolved. thumbs_up.gif

mmdd Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 6:19pm
post #28 of 29

I guess I didn't read far enough.

I got it now...thanks beez!

mmdd Posted 13 Jul 2006 , 6:20pm
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdd

I guess I didn't read far enough.

I got it now...thanks beez!

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%