Leveling A Cake

Decorating By nokddng Updated 11 Jul 2006 , 5:02pm by debbie2881

nokddng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nokddng Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 11:38am
post #1 of 16

Maybe it's just me but I seem to have a hard time leveling a cake. icon_sad.gif I'm still new at this so maybe I just need to practice more. Anyone have any tips?

15 replies
petitesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitesweet Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 11:41am
post #2 of 16

Have you tried the Wilton cake leveler? I love mine.

MomofThree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomofThree Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 11:49am
post #3 of 16

I was never that good at leveling either, so I started pressing the layers down as soon as they come out of the oven. Put a cutting board or something flat on top and weight it down for about 5 minutes - nice and level and a nice baked surface to frost.

If it's too high to do that sometimes I level it while it's still in the pan and use the edge of the pan as a guide. That's probably a big no-no, but it worked.

Also, I bake at a low temperature for longer time and it's not as much of an issue. Usually 325.

DeniseRoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseRoy Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 11:57am
post #4 of 16

I am also a big fan of the small wilton cake leveler. It works on cakes up to 12 inches.

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 16

I always use bake strips when possible - on everthing but shaped pans, and and then turn cake top layer 1/2 turn when I torte and levling is not much of an issue. If I do have to level, then I use the Wilton leveler.

petitesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitesweet Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 16

Love the idea of turning the torted piece MissT! I'll have to try that one.

dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 1:40am
post #7 of 16

I also use the baking strips and found that when I use them, I rarely have to do any leveling.

nokddng Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 1:51am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by petitesweet

I've seen them and wondered if they work. I tried a serrated knife but I think it makes it worse. I froze the cakes and tried to level it frozen..which was a bit neater cut but was not happy doing it that way. However after I brought the frozen cakes out I noticed they were flatter..I stacked them on one another so that may work. I'll have to experiment.

nokddng Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 1:51am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by petitesweet

I've seen them and wondered if they work. I tried a serrated knife but I think it makes it worse. I froze the cakes and tried to level it frozen..which was a bit neater cut but was not happy doing it that way. However after I brought the frozen cakes out I noticed they were flatter..I stacked them on one another so that may work. I'll have to experiment.

Sorry about the double post...the computer was really slow.

meggylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggylou Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 2:08am
post #10 of 16

I use the cake strips for my standard shaped cakes too, and hardly have to level it. Now I was wondering the best way to make shaped pans raise evenly, since the stips won't stay on/go around right.
Any ideas??

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 2:11am
post #11 of 16

I used to have a heck of a time when trying to torte but finally started turning the cake as I cut. Works like a charm every time. Best of luck to you!

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 1:10pm
post #12 of 16

Hi meggylou - I have the same problem with shaped pans (character, etc). About the only thing I can do is try to move a lot of the batter out of the center toward the outside and bake at 325 instead of 350. It seems to help some.

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 1:16pm
post #13 of 16

I try to always bake at 325, use the baking strips, and it seems help tremendously. I have read the cake crowns because the batter next to the sides of the pan cooks first, which expands, and it turn pushes the center upward.

Also, anything bigger than a 10 inch pan, I use a heat core.

Sandy

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 1:39pm
post #14 of 16

After my first few practice cakes I invested in the large Wilton leveler. I love it! Also, I put enough batter in my pan so that the cake will rise above the edge. When done I let my cake sit in the pan for 10 minutes and then I level it with my leveler before removing the cake from the pan. This assures me a level 2" high cake every time.

Jasra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasra Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 4:32pm
post #15 of 16

I really like the Wilton levelers too! I haven't tried levelling while still in the pan, I will have to try that one. My counter top has curved edges and I have to be careful not to go over them will the ends of my level but other than that I think it's helped a great deal.

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 11 Jul 2006 , 5:02pm
post #16 of 16

I also love my wilton leveler, i have the large 1 and i will never level again without it. I used a knife before and ended up with 1 side higher and i stood there forever trying to get it even and still have cake. The leveler is definately worth getting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%