Imbc Flopped, What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By Naty Updated 10 Jul 2006 , 5:19pm by jovigirl

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 7

First time making IMBC. Everything went well up to the point where I added the pats of butter and the mixture deflated and was like a poured icing. I kept beating it for about 10 mins. thinking it would "come back to life" but no luck. I made sure the bowl was at room temperature before I added the butter. My butter was at room temperature, could that have been the problem? or should it be cold?

If anyone can guide me, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Naty

6 replies
fmandds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fmandds Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 7

I've never made it before but I did bookmark this site so when I do I can refer to it.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?s=600c433137cc5804e9819233a9502b5f&showtopic=87490

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 2:56am
post #3 of 7

Sounds like everything was too warm, possibly?

Or was the meringue itself not beaten enough? I've had it happen when the bowl was too warm, butter too soft, and after chilling, it was OK, but it can get pretty soft.

Maybe an egg thing, not sure...

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 5:09am
post #4 of 7

Try putting it in the fridge for a while, then try whipping it again.

Butter should be softened but chilled, hard to describe.

Not straight out of the fridge, but if it is at room temp, put in fridge as you start the icing so the edges of the butter get firm. You shouldn't be able to squish the butter.

But most of the time you can bring it back to life.

Don't fear, I messed that recipe up about 3 different times when learning to make it. But I think it is worth the wasted egg whites and sugar to learn to make a delicious icing.

When you say beat do you mean you were using the paddle? Be sure to use the whip attachment. And if you don't have a stand mixer, probably best not to even try this recipe.

Also don't try to skimp on butter. Maybe you say a pound and a half of butter seems excessive and you'll try doing a pound or a pound and a quarter and don't want to add more if it doesn't look like it's shaping up. it's the last stick of butter that really seals the deal.

Sorry if it's too much information.

hope you can revive it!

BekkiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BekkiM Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmandds

I've never made it before but I did bookmark this site so when I do I can refer to it.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?s=600c433137cc5804e9819233a9502b5f&showtopic=87490

What a fabulous tutorial!!! Thank you fmandds! thumbs_up.gif

I've made RLB's IMBC several times, with varying success. When it's worked, it's amazing stuff--great flavor, lovely consistency, wonderful. When it hasn't worked, it's been just like Naty describes--almost pourable and certainly not salvagable (2 lb of powdered sugar just made it sweeter, but not stiffer!). Now I want to rush home and try it again.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 5:04pm
post #6 of 7

Nati, Do you have RLB'S Cake Bible? The Mousseline BC in there is just about the only one I use. If you need the recipe let me know. If you intend to get her book there is a new revised edition. On the corner of the cover it will tell you whether or not the book is revised. She is also going to be publishing another one for larger cakes. She has a blog called Real Baking With Rose.

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 7

Hi there, i've been using Martha stewart recipe for IMBC & I take the butter right out of the fridge & cut it into sml pieces before I put it in & I get a great icing every time!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%