1St Wedding Cake

Business By saberger Updated 10 Jul 2007 , 2:12am by saberger

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 31 May 2007 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 23

I have some potentially good news (I think). I have been asked to do a wedding cake for 400 people. It would be my first wedding cake! Yeah!!! Aahhh! I am excited about the idea of finally doing one and I know that it would be great for business. I mean, 400 people! Oh yeah, it is for June 23rd!

However, I am very unsure as to whether I should do it or not because the woman who asked me (for her future Sister-in-law), is a friend of mine who is esp. judgmental and a bit of a pain in the tush. I have done a few cakes for her and she has really been nothing but nice about it and very supportive, but extremely picky and always looking for a deal. They don't have a design in mind yet or anything!

So, based on my work, who thinks I should stop worrying and go for it? And who thinks it is better to turn down business for sanity and peace of mind? I did mention to her (as a possible way out) that I was planning on going out of town that weekend, so I wasn't sure if it was going to be feasible. And she does know that I haven't done a wedding cake before. Then, the next question would be what on earth do I charge?

A mutual friend of ours is also on the fence about this, knowing it would be great exposure for me in a vast Indian community, but knowing it is HER that I would be dealing with. BTW, my DH doesn't think I should do it.

Opinions?

22 replies
marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 31 May 2007 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 23

While it could be an awesome start for you, make sure that you know exactly what you are getting into. If you do decide to do the cake, meet with the bride immediately - you have to start the planning and advance work for the cake soon.

Just make sure that everything gets covered in the first meeting - what they expect in the cake, and what you expect from them (payment, rental equipment due dates). The wedding consultation is a two-way interview - you get to interview them too, and if you think that working with them will be too much, then say no to the contract.

As for what to charge, try to find out what others in your area normally charge, and charge the same - the PITA factor (Pain In The A$%$#) may warrant the money! Just because they are relatives of a friend doesn't mean that you have to give them a deal - they are last minute clients that are making you change your personal plans. I actually charge an extra fee for "last-minute" wedding orders! icon_wink.gif

Whatever decision you come to, good luck - the support on CC will help you through it!
Nicole thumbs_up.gif

saberger Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 23

Thanks for the input. I did stop at a couple of bakeries in my area and one place charges $5-6 per person and another charges $4.50 per person for buttercream and then $7 for fondant. They both mentioned doing two sheet cakes to cover about 100-200 of the people and then the rest could be tiered. Does that sound right?

And what else do I need to make sure we talk about other than location, design, price, flavors, and rental equipment (I don't even know how to go about that one!)?

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 31 May 2007 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 23

Your cakes are beautiful, go for it. But, I agree with "marmalade", if you take it meet with the bride don't use the friend as a go between. When it comes to the specifics of the cake, get it straight from the bride.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 31 May 2007 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 23

Your work is beautiful, I say go for it. It does take time and planning, so I agree with everyone about meeting with the bride asap.

DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 31 May 2007 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 23

In my opinion, the wedding cake is really for the bride and no one else (meaning, really only the bride cares about having one and what it looks like). I think you should go for it, but a make a medium sized tiered cake for presentation and sheet cakes to feed the rest (400 people? Wow!). The guests won't care what piece of cake they get as long as it taste good.

doc_farms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doc_farms Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 23

I'm crazy, and I would definitely not pass it up. Great exposure.... YEAH for you, you must be so excited!

marmalade1687 Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 23

Is there somewhere on this site that has a standard cake contract? If not, PM me, and I can email you mine - feel free to modify it to fit your needs.

Nicole

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 23

Since you have no wedding cakes in your resume, I would find pictures of several wedding cakes that you know you are quite capable of making and have her select from the ones that you are comfortable with. Do not give her an open door or she may very well overwhelm you. If she has a picture in mind and it is something you just will not do, say so. My last several wedding cakes have been very simple and they were the bride's choice. Simple is in. I want to encourage you to go for it. I love doing wedding cakes and that is how to get your name out to a lot of people. I have made over 200 wedding cakes, but believe me when I say you have just as much talent or more than I have. The cakes on your photos are very nice.You have to start somewhere. You go girl...

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:37pm
post #10 of 23

It has already been said but I want to say it also - TALK TO THE BRIDE, not the friend. She did her job, she referred you. Now it is up to you and the bride to go from here!! go for it!! good luck

Tina_Mace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tina_Mace Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:50pm
post #11 of 23

I say go for it thumbs_up.gif Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to set up. My sister and I have our first paid wedding/groom cakes this weekend -- a reference from our SIL.

Marmalade1687: can you also forward me your contract. I think we probably need to put one together for future orders.

Thanks! I'll post our pictures next week (will be my first pictures posted!)

saberger Posted 31 May 2007 , 8:13pm
post #12 of 23

Just a quick note to you all since I have to run out the door to teach AND get the two toddlers out with me (way more stressful than a wedding cake!!!)

Thank you for ALL the encouragement. I gave my friend a couple of books with cakes and told her what I could and couldn't do. And I said I needed to meet with the bride ASAP. We are trying for this weekend. Apparently the bride doesn't know what she wants. So I have set myself up that way.

Marmalade: I most definitely do NOT have a contract of any sort and would LOVE you till the end of time if you are willing to share that with me! Seriously, I will forever be your slave!

I will write more when I have a moment to breathe.

Thanks again for everything !!!!!!!!!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 31 May 2007 , 8:23pm
post #13 of 23

before you confirm, be sure the venue will not require a licensed baker.
You don't want to get to the door and have them refuse to accept your cake. Many places are fine, but some are very sticky.

marmalade1687 Posted 31 May 2007 , 8:55pm
post #14 of 23

Since so many of you are asking for the cake contract, I am going to attempt to attach it for you all! Please let me know if you have any trouble opening it...I have never done this before!

Enjoy!
Nicole

saberger Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 1:22am
post #15 of 23

Marmalade: it works wonders. Thank you again.

So I have decided to meet with them and discuss what they want. If it is something that I will feel comfortable doing, then I will do it. However, I have found out that in Indian culture, the bride actually doesn't have that much say in what she wants. It is mainly decided by the elders (oh great!!!), so we'll see exactly how much my friend will end up being involved and whether I can handle it.

Is $4 per person too much? It just seems so expensive, but it is still cheaper than a couple of the bakeries around here. So in a way, I can make her feel kind of good and just say that I am giving her a discount since she is my friend and I have never done a weeding before. I will have her sign the contract (even though DH doesn't think I should) in order to make sure she is thinking of me as a professional still.

And I did tell her to make sure that she can bring a cake in from the outside. It turns out that one of the family members owns the catering company and can just bring it in through them if allowed.

So, I hope to meet with them this weekend to discuss and decide. Any other advice or warnings for my 1st wedding venture?

marmalade1687 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 12:49pm
post #16 of 23

You'll be fine! Just remember to be honest and professional, and you'll pull it off!

Let us know how everything goes!
Nicole

saberger Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:28pm
post #17 of 23

Well, I am meeting with the bride tomorrow along with my friend and her MIL. I spoke to my friend today and she mentioned that the MIL liked a very simple 3 tier cake with fresh flowers. So NOW I have to figure out where to get those. I know that have to be free of pesticides, but who is responsible for getting them? Her or me? And then who puts them on the cake: the florist or me? I have never used fresh flowers before.

And what is the average price per person? I have seen everything from $2.50 (not in my area) to $5 per person for BC. And I am at a loss as to what to charge.

Sunspotalli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunspotalli Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:37pm
post #18 of 23

Congratulations, based on your work yes i say go for it, but like everyone else i'd go smaller on the display cake and do sheets for the rest, I've only done one wedding cake and it was small so 400 sounds like a tone, but we all think you can do it. just be calm and you'll get through it.

saberger Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 12:03am
post #19 of 23

Well, I had thought I was to meet with the bride today, but was told they are going into NYC to check out a bakery there. She asked me if I would still do the cake if they don't get it done there. Why does that seem a bit insulting? I told her that it depends on the design and I would need to know asap and meet with the bride. She said that the bride has to go back tomorrow, but she would be able to tell me what they want. icon_sad.gif I am not happy about that as you well know.

At this point, I hope they go with someone else. Now I really feel as if they would come to me because they know I will be cheaper. I don't like that feeling one bit!

marmalade1687 Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 2:02pm
post #20 of 23

Don't let them call all of the shots - as I said in a previous post, the interview is a time for you to decide if you want to work with them too! At this point, there should be no discounts whatsoever (in my mind, you should be charging a late signing fee... icon_rolleyes.gif ), and the whole cake needs to be paid now - not a deposit now, and the balance later.

There is nothing wrong with getting other quotes, but not when they have already made arrangements to meet with you at the same time - that's just rude.

Do they not want to sign a contract with you? If so, no worries - no contract, no cake! If the bride really has to go back tomorrow, and she is not the person making the decisions, then the person making the decisions can sign the contract. I do this all the time - a few of my brides are from out of town (or country) and send a family member to the tasting - they sign the contract and I deal with them in the months before the wedding. But make sure that they don't walk all over you!!

Give them a time limit to when the contract MUST be signed...tomorrow? Or you won't be available to do the cake anymore - then they can go back to the NYC bakery! icon_twisted.gif

Good Luck!
Nicole

saberger Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 1:42am
post #21 of 23

How rude! She has not told me anything! So I assume it isn't happening. I saw her yesterday and I did no mention or ask her, since I really didn't think it to be appropriate....but I think I have my answer. If she even thinks about asking me she is flat out of luck!

I don't have a problem with her getting other prices and stuff, I think she should...but don't leave me hanging as if I am back-up! $%&%#$^

Everything happens for a reason...that is all I have to say. Now I want my books back from her.

Thanks for your encouragement, nevertheless. It did make me feel as if I could do it, and I won't be so wishy-washy next time. I just need to solidify pricing and I will be set.

Thanks again.

marmalade1687 Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 10:05pm
post #22 of 23

I am very sorry that this happened with your first wedding cake experience - don't let it get you down! Get everything set and ready for the next (REAL!) enquiry!

I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason - it is probably for the best that you didn't have to deal with difficult people for your first wedding, especially when you felt rushed on every aspect of the deal!

Just remember, you can do it! thumbs_up.gif
Nicole

saberger Posted 10 Jul 2007 , 2:12am
post #23 of 23

So, everything really DOES happen for a reason. It is a good thing that I didn't do that wedding, because just TWO WEEKS before, my DH turns the oven on without checking inside and it catches on fire...so the end result?! No oven until 3 days prior to that wedding date. As it was, I had to borrow a friends oven to complete a totally separate order for 4 cakes.

Everything happens for a reason. We may not know what it is at the time, or even ever, but there is a reason.

Needless to say, I was then asked about a week later, if I could do another wedding (for a MUCH NICER person). So, after all is said and done, I have officially had my first wedding!!! YEAH!! icon_smile.gif She was great and it was for 120 people. The bride loved the cakes and was so nice.

Now I have a new oven, a wedding under my belt, and even remodeling our kitchen icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif Whoo-hoo!!!

What a wonderful reason for the 1st wedding to have fallen through! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%