Assuming Made An *** Out Of Me!

Decorating By cassandrascakes Updated 23 Jun 2007 , 7:47am by mistiek2006

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:06am
post #1 of 42

To make a long story short, I was asked to do a baby shower cake for a regular customer. She said it was for her friend, and she wanted something different, like a baby carved out of cake on top of a sheetcake. Ok, the first disaster is that is was one of the best cakes I have ever done, and seeing as how in this neck of the woods, nobody ever wants anything but sheetcakes, I was proud of myself. I did all that that work, and my rechargleable batteries for my digital camera was dead. So, I went to bed at 6am thinking that when she came to pick up the cake, I could snap a quick picture. Well, my nephew didn't wake me and just gave her the cake and took the money, so no pic.

I asked him what the lady said when she saw the cake and he said "Nothing". I was surprised because I really loved it. Sooooo, later on in the day, the lady called and said that the color of the baby's skin was incorrect. I said, "what do you mean"? She said, well, my friend is white and you made the baby black. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to understand that I am black and so was the customer, and I just ASSumed the friend was too. I feel like a dummy. I am a dummy.

Why didn't I ask? I have done cakes for all races of people, and when someone asks for a baby on something, I have never had to ask the race, it just never dawned on me, but it sure will next time.

If I could turn red, I would be a deep maroon by now.

41 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:11am
post #2 of 42

are you sure the baby just didn't already have a tan from living in Florida!

(that sun is a beast down there -- hide from it every time I visit the rest of the family in St. Pete)

it'll be ok...and probably something all will laugh about later on.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:21am
post #3 of 42

You probably should have asked but then again maybe she should have been a little more specific. I think it's kind of funny, there are probably far more mistakes going the other way.

cassandrascakes Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:21am
post #4 of 42

LOL, I needed a laugh right about now. Thanks Doug, where were you when she called, I could have used a comeback. All I did was stand there with my mouth open.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 May 2007 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 42

I kept reading, waiting for the inevitable--dropped it, head fell off, icing melted, etc.

I NEVER would have guessed the punchline, though!

There isn't another person in the world who would have done any different than you.

Golly, if the customer didn't think to tell you, how would you ever have guessed???? In some ways, it would have been even sillier if you had "assumed" the baby was white when it was a black customer placing the order!!!!!

I love Doug's idea--just tell the customer the baby has a good Florida tan!

I wish we could have seen a photo--charge those darn batteries!

Rae

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 12:33am
post #6 of 42

Honest mistake. Maybe you should have asked, but the customer for sure should have specified.

And really, it's kind of funny. Probably more funny for those of reading than for you still, but funny nonetheless.

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:09am
post #7 of 42

I'm sure they still loved the cake at the shower. I went to a shower where the woman who made the topper knew the shower was for black woman, and still the baby was white. We laughed, and that was that...no big deal. Sorry you weren't able to take a picture, I'm sure the cake was beautiful!

lilytexas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilytexas Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:42am
post #8 of 42

OMG, this is one of the funny mistakes, but I think the one how did the mistake was your customer, because we are not witches,(some times I look and act like one, but I am not, so my customers have to be specific when they order a cake)
your customer was the one responsible in leting you know that the shower was for a white person dont be mad at your self especially when you did your best.

cassandrascakes Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:53am
post #9 of 42

Yes, it is pretty funny now. I wish I could have thought of something to say. I asked her what she wanted me to do to rectify the situation. She said nothing, but she was just calling to let me know in case I heard about it elsewhere. I did offer her a discount on a future cake, but she said that she understood and it was her fault too.

I guess I need to start asking people the flavor, size, and then "What race will you have this cake in"?

I was really planning on asking for a picture, but then I chickened out because I had messed up so bad!

tinascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinascakes Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:56am
post #10 of 42

It's actually kind of funny. Look at it this way, you gave the family a funny story to tell for years to come.

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:57am
post #11 of 42

I'm sorry but I think this is hilarious! I could totally see me doing this for an order. I'd say that it's more of the customer's fault that they didn't tell you. I would have made the same assumption.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:03am
post #12 of 42

That is a delicate subject, how do you ask without offending? I did a wedding cake as a gift for my friends son, they are African American but I knew one of the groomsmen was white and they wanted those awful plastic figurines on the cake, stairs, bridge the whole nne yards with 12 figurines, including the minister. I had to ask her what color for the minister, she says "light brown and bald!" now picture me hand painting one of these figures, mixing colors to get the right shade and then having to paint over the hair to make him appear bald. icon_biggrin.gif

ShannanM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShannanM Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:06am
post #13 of 42

I think this is very funny too! I am wondering what her husband thought once he found out about the baby! I bet he had some questions! LOL

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:11am
post #14 of 42

I would have been rolling on the floor if I was at that shower.

But, you did no different then anyone else would have done. If it was revearsed the same thing would have happened.

Your thread is a wake up call for the rest of us, it's good to ask.

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:13am
post #15 of 42

Doug, that was an awesome come back! Cassandra - I think you're being too hard on yourself. Now you'll know for next time that you need to ask for race. I would never have asked, and I think it's an honest mistake - it's not like you were being malicious or something. I'm a plain ol' white girl, but if I'd gotten a black baby on my cake, I would have laughed and ask if my friend if she knew something I didn't. HA! Black babies are adorable - in my opinion. All you can do is apologize for the mistake - it's over. Too bad about the picture - tell your nephew he needs to ask for a pic! icon_lol.gif

Keep your chin up! I'm sure it was lovely, and that everyone at the shower enjoyed it. By the time the baby comes around, they'll look back on pictures and get a good chuckle, no harm done.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:16am
post #16 of 42

Aw, I don't think you messed up bad at all. I really think she should've been the one to let you know and I think she knows that. It was an understandable assumption and I would've done the same. And I'm sure it happens in reverse far more.

You will surely be laughing about this later. They probably will be too. It is funny. And I know I would've been cracking up at the shower too. icon_lol.gif

LOL@ "light brown and bald"

Ladyofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyofcake Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:16am
post #17 of 42

icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif
that was sooooooooo funny, really really REALLY funny...

I too, NEVER would have guessed the punchline on this one.
Hey, it happens. As someone else stated, imagine how many times this
has probably happened in reverse, right?
No big deal, and I am sure they were laughing too.
thumbs_up.gif

cassandrascakes Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:18am
post #18 of 42

OK, now you all have me cracking up. Especially the "light skinned and bald" and about the husband.

He probably was wondering if she was trying to tell him something!! I didn't even ask the race of the hubby, I'm assuming he wasn't black, or the little brown baby wouldn't have been a big deal.

It really is a delicate issue, because when I did the washtub baby cake that's in my pics, I was very concerned with the skin color. It was for a Puerto Rican lady, but her skin was very fair. I knew her husband was Puerto Rican also, but didn't know his skin tone. I did know that their hair was dark brown.

The cake was a surprise for her, so I couldn't ask her. So, I looked at a picture of her other son and got a good idea. They loved the cake and kept the fondant baby.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:37am
post #19 of 42

Man I really did LOL icon_lol.gif That's going to be a cute story for the Mom to be in the future! I think I just have the tendency to ask because we are a very mixed family. I am Mutt-xican American icon_razz.gif My grandmother was part Greek, my Grandfather was part French, my father was a Mexican w/ Blonde hair and green eyes, my sister married a black man, I had married a Dark complected Mexican man.... I could go on and on... I have two different colored children from the same man. My sister has FOUR different colored children from the same man... My whole family looks like a Benetton Ad icon_wink.gif Sorry for your cake mix up, but I have to thank you immensely for the giggle thumbs_up.gif

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 3:52pm
post #20 of 42

My goodness, did the customer think you were psychic?

Details people, details! Sometimes it is so hard to get people to slow down long enough to give you the information you need.

You did what all of us would have done.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:05pm
post #21 of 42

Benneton ad, LOL icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Well, I think we all learned a valuable lesson from your "mishap". But how would one delicately ask that question? "What color would you like your baby to be?"

Boy, cake decorating is harder than I thought! icon_wink.gif

jenndga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenndga Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:10pm
post #22 of 42

I loved it when one of my teachers walked up to the board on the first day and wrote - ASS/U/ME. icon_razz.gif

It sticks with me now, but geez I still do it all of the time anyway!

I would have made the same assumption in your case, and you will definitely laugh about this in the future! icon_biggrin.gif

Dawn2467 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawn2467 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 4:22pm
post #23 of 42

HILARIOUS!!!! I agree...NOT YOUR FAULT!!

I think it would have been soooo funny, and such a wonderfully fun memory to have had this happen at one of my showers!!! What a cute story to share...I would've tried to hide a camera to record everyone's reaction when they saw it, so we could watch it later!

Thanks for the laugh!

Dimples03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dimples03 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 8:50pm
post #24 of 42

LOL! I know it propbably isn't funny to you, but it will be one day, hopefully!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 10:13pm
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynda-bob

I have two different colored children from the same man. My sister has FOUR different colored children from the same man...

I see this all the time in our area. We live on the Indian reservation my husband is from but no one is pure blood. I'm part gypsy and am darker than my husband and alot of people assume I'm Native. I know so many families where you would never guess that the child is anything but white and the next full sibling you can see the Native blood.

One of my cousin-in-laws is pregnant and I wouldn't make her a baby cake before the child came for anything, she already has a blond kid and a very dark child with the same man.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 10:24pm
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenndga

I loved it when one of my teachers walked up to the board on the first day and wrote - ASS/U/ME. icon_razz.gif

who remembers Felix Unger???

I also think the one placing the order should have specified. It's a cute story that will get a good laugh in the future.

maladymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maladymay Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 8:07pm
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Quote:

I guess I need to start asking people the flavor, size, and then "What race will you have this cake in"?

hahahahahaha!!! icon_lol.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 5 Jun 2007 , 8:16pm
post #28 of 42

This really made me laugh! I'm glad you're able to be lighthearted about it! I'm sure if they're not already laughing, they will look back on it and have a chuckle!

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 10:13pm
post #29 of 42

Well, how were you suppose to know the friend's race? And dont EVEN get me started on how all anybody of a different race had to settle for white dolls, pictures on greeting cards, "nude" & suntan panty hose, etc until the 1980's !!!! AND the person who placed the order was black--she should have known to let you know her friend's race

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 10:25pm
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenndga

who remembers Felix Unger???

I also think the one placing the order should have specified. It's a cute story that will get a good laugh in the future.

Yeah, Felix was in court and wrote it on the chalk board and was saying that to the judge and the other lawyer! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%