Is Thick Cream The Same As Heavy Cream?

Decorating By diamondsmom Updated 16 Jun 2013 , 9:12am by DriveMeBatty

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 11:23am
post #1 of 4

just doing two different fillings. the cookies and cream filling calls for heavy cream and the Strawberry cream cake Filling calles for Thick cream are they the same. I'm accustomed tot he heavy cream but first time heard about Thick cream. icon_rolleyes.gif thanks in advance diamondsmom thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 4

the same....

(with the same result -- they make me thick & heavy icon_rolleyes.gif )

national lampoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
national lampoo Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 7:59am
post #3 of 4
Yes.

Heavy cream, which is also called heavy whipping cream in many parts of the country, has a fat content of between 36% and 40% (occasionally 42%). In it's purest form, it has nothing to do with buttermilk, which is a fermented dairy product produced from cow's milk with a characteristically sour taste. The product (buttermilk) is made in one of two ways. Originally, buttermilk was the liquid left over from churning butter from cream. On the other hand, artificially made buttermilk, also known as cultured buttermilk, is a product where lactic acid bacteria called Streptococcus lactis have been added to milk. 

"Thick Cream" or "Thickened Cream" is a name used in Austrailia and some parts of Europe, but is equal to the American version of "Heavy Cream".

Source:

Ochef.com
DriveMeBatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DriveMeBatty Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 9:12am
post #4 of 4

Well actually, they're very nearly the same except that thick cream - or thickened cream as we Aussies refer to it - has gelatine added to it which helps with stability, especially in the case of making whipped cream. But heavy cream should do the job fine icon_smile.gif

Why yes, I am pedantic, thank you for asking! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%