Buying A Grease Trap

Business By lilmisscantbewrg Updated 2 Jun 2007 , 6:48pm by alicegop

lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 30 May 2007 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 16

Can you share where you bought yours? Online or locally? Also, what size would you recommended ?
TIA
Amy

15 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 30 May 2007 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 16

My plumber took care of that for me. He got it from the plumbing discount supply

lilmisscantbewrg Posted 30 May 2007 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 16

My plumber is my brother - so.. I get to pick up the... stuff ( ha-almost said ingredients!! icon_lol.gif ) on my own. I found a store on Ebay with decent prices-cheaper than he can get them with the wholesale discount but, I don't like buying expensive things from stores I'm not familiar with. I'll look a little more.
Thanks thoicon_smile.gif

Cakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery Posted 30 May 2007 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 16

I got mine locally......and then a plumber friend installed it for me. Here where I live....the Health Dept., required one since I have a septic tank....and then I had to have a special "break pipe" in the flow of my drains....in case of back ups. Hope you can get a decent price on yours....they don't come super cheap anways.

Diane

weddingsbymindy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weddingsbymindy Posted 31 May 2007 , 2:03am
post #5 of 16

We didn't have to have a grease trap since we will not be frying anything (per state regulation). We did however have to have a break pipe or "air gap" as my inspector called it. I would hire someone to do all the pluming. I am no pluming expert, I did learn how to hang dry wall, install door locks, paint, paint, paint and design the Kitchen.

Did any commercial kitchen owners here have to cover your walls in FRP? Wow that stuff is expensive, thankfully we only had to cover walls contacting food prep areas but that was 1/2 of our wall space!

Also needed; 3 compartment sink, hand sink, food washing sink, mop sink, concrete slab for garbage cans, 2 exits, refrigerator arranged according to possible contamination degree (eggs under fresh berries), all equipment 1 inch off the floor or glued to it.

Along with a few other silly regulations. Our area didn't require a separate bath room either, my home bathroom is acceptable but he does check it! Once I got a point deducted for not having a covered bathroom trash can!!! I bought a mini flip top can!

lilmisscantbewrg Posted 31 May 2007 , 2:24am
post #6 of 16

I'm not doing any frying either ( per state regs), but was told by the Dept of Ag that I needed a grease trap/interceptor. My brother works for a licensed plumber, so they are doing the work, but I only have to pay for the equipment and materials.
I get to paint, and paint and paint, too!! The inspector also said I could just paint the drywall in the kitchen as long as it's "cleanable, durable and smooth" . I'm opening a shop and would LOVE to have some help designing the kitchen. I've sketched and re-sketched and I know where the sinks will have to go ( along one wall ) but I'm trying to figure out placement for the ovens. I The framing was JUST finished and inspected yesterday, so now the plumbers and electricians will be in!!
Mindy- do you have a dumpster or garbage cans? The back door of my shop opens to an alley and there is no room for a dumpster. Garbage pick up is twice a week, so I'm wondering if I have 2-4 large cans-if that will be enough.

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 31 May 2007 , 2:25am
post #7 of 16

Go to greasetrapworld.com
It is Pierce supply in Orlando, Florida. They are super nice owners and they helped me get a grease trap for less money than my plumber could find one, for my shop.
Check it out icon_wink.gif

lilmisscantbewrg Posted 31 May 2007 , 2:31am
post #8 of 16

Thanks Cindy!!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 31 May 2007 , 3:56am
post #9 of 16

[quote="lilmisscantbewrg"]I'm not doing any frying either ( per state regs), but was told by the Dept of Ag that I needed a grease trap/interceptor. [Quote]

We were told that too. We've spoken with Director of Food safety for the Dept of Ag., which regulates this in FL. Also, he said that you ABSOLUTELY MUST have a seperate bathroom, not your house bathroom. icon_confused.gif Good luck sorting it all out.

Eggshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eggshells Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:36pm
post #10 of 16

you can also purchase a portable grease trap that up install under the sink, they run between 300 to 600 but must be installed by a lic plumber and cleaned out by a lic company like Rotor rooter.

Hope this helps!

Eggshells Posted 31 May 2007 , 7:37pm
post #11 of 16

you can also purchase a portable grease trap that up install under the sink, they run between 300 to 600 but must be installed by a lic plumber and cleaned out by a lic company like Rotor rooter.

Hope this helps!

lilmisscantbewrg Posted 31 May 2007 , 8:02pm
post #12 of 16

Eggshells,
It certainly does! I think that's what I need..a portable one for under the sink.
I think I'd gladly pay a lic co. to clean it out as I've heard it is the MOST DISGUSTING smell ever!!

Eggshells Posted 31 May 2007 , 9:13pm
post #13 of 16

It is grossology incarnate!! but if you're not as busy as a restaurant, you may not have to clean it as often.

I have heard of places that clean it out once a year!!

CindiM Posted 31 May 2007 , 10:33pm
post #14 of 16

My under the triple sink grease trap from Greasetrapworld.com was about $154 plus tax. I picked it up in Orlando. Shipping cost would be a question to ask. I don't remember the cost to install. I clean it about 3 times a year. You just take a plastic cup and dip the water out. Then you spray the inside with an orange grease cutting type cleaner and wipe it out with paper towels. I wipe all of my pans, etc. with paper towels, so everything is clean before I wash it and that keeps the trap clean. It is not bad if you take care of it. I don't put anything icky in my sink! If it smells, (like old wet cake) I flush it with soapy water or vinegar and water. It is a little rusy after 7 years in my shop, but it still works. Did I cover everything icon_wink.gif , I am just too detailed.

CindiM Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 12:14am
post #15 of 16

It is rusty not rusy. icon_lol.gif

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 6:48pm
post #16 of 16

This is good info! THANKS!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%