Do You Ever Buy Things Just Because...

Decorating By Mac Updated 10 Jul 2006 , 1:38am by Cake_Mooma

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 29

you may have a use for them in the future? Well, I do and my DH --it drives him crazy. However, a couple of years ago while surfing the net, I came across a decorating website that was selling out all of their merchandise. I bought a video on a cake by Rosemary Watson and several silicone molds. Never used them and actually forgot about them.

To the present, I have a wedding cake for Saturday that has alot of little details on it...went to Michael's for inspiration and it hit me...I have some silicone molds at home. Could hardly wait to get home and dig them out. Couldn't even remember where I had put them.

Found them and they are perfect for this cake. I am sooo excited. I can hardly wait to get this one finished and posted. I do hope it looks as good as the one in my head.

Oh well, off to decorate...will chedk in before I go to bed.

28 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 29

you mean like ---

all those cake pans I have all neatly stored for "someday"?

all those neat cutters (cookie/fondant, etc.) for the "some tomorrow"?

all those chocolate molds for "that perfect moment"?

naww.....why would I ever do that?!?!? icon_rolleyes.gif

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 29

ALWAYS!

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 29

ummmmmm yesssssssssss. lol

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 29

Cake and candy supplies are just likre beads.... you can never have too many, just not enough.

Aries-04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aries-04 Posted 7 Jul 2006 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 29

Yes!Yes! And it always not enough!!!!

cmmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmmom Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 12:00am
post #7 of 29

All the time!! I'm running out of room to store everything - I have things all over the house so my DH won't know HOW MUCH I actually have. icon_lol.gif So, yes, I forget exactly what I have also.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 12:00am
post #8 of 29

I am constantly buying something new, because "I am gonna use this......... some time......." But by gum, when that sometime comes, I will have what i need!

poppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poppie Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 12:02am
post #9 of 29

My DH said if it has a sale tag on it I will buy it. He is right.

Tricia0312 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tricia0312 Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 12:46am
post #10 of 29

I fell in love with the hosue we bought because it had 2 pantries and I cut put lots of my cake stuff in there instead of going to a tote in the attic! I have quickly outgrown the two pantries icon_smile.gif

It also does not help that I read the posts and hear of something that someone loves and then I HAVE to buy it becasue someone might want a cake using that one day.

Oh well...it keeps me busy. icon_smile.gif!!!!

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 1:00am
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmmom

All the time!! I'm running out of room to store everything - I have things all over the house so my DH won't know HOW MUCH I actually have. icon_lol.gif So, yes, I forget exactly what I have also.

reading this was looking in the mirror!!!! LOL SOOOO true!

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 1:18am
post #12 of 29

Absolutely!!! I've even duplicated an item or two because I've forgotten that I had it stuck away for "someday." I need a bigger kitchen - my cake "stuff" is occupying almost half of our study, too. Maybe it's an addiction...if so, it could be to something a lot worse. I'm disappointed if there's no coupon for the week for Michael's or Hobby Lobby! PAT

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 3:53am
post #13 of 29

I had to talk myself out of buying candy rocks today. I have absolutely no use for them at the moment but they were adorable!

I'm sure my kids would have eaten them before I found a cake to stick them on too.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 4:28am
post #14 of 29

Oh YES!!!!

tammi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammi Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 4:39am
post #15 of 29

I was just at Michael's today, and I was looking at the new Wilton book. I talked myself out of it because I didn't see anything I wanted to try. I decided to use the things I have, because half of the stuff I haven't even broke in yet.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 4:58am
post #16 of 29

ohhh yes! and to add to the problem, there's ebay! Cookie cutters...because one day...
Fondant tools...because one day...
gumpaste...because one day...
no really...one day.
I can relate!

(but I really don't think I'll ever use that clown pan)

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 5:01am
post #17 of 29

me too icon_rolleyes.gif

My laundry room has floor-to-ceiling shelves on 2 walls (bins filled with character cake pans) and I have no dining room anymore (wedding cake stands, separator plates, columns, etc) and my kitchen is ...well... it is a cake factory. Every room in my house has something cake-ish, except the bathroom.

But I still want a...if I can find one, I want a... icon_biggrin.gif

"Please sir, may I have some more?"
- Oliver Twist

bakingupastorm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingupastorm Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 5:06am
post #18 of 29

Guilty as charged!!

TheCakeSmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeSmith Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 5:50am
post #19 of 29

I don't even know what I'm doing yet, but still I have accumilated a bunch of stuff. I have the excuse, "But honey, it may make it easier for me to learn".

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 6:23am
post #20 of 29

I too have taken over 3 rooms in the house to store my cake items,plus the right side of my shed with shelves from floor to ceiling!!!!!!! sometimes I have to throw other items out etc,, to make room for cake stuff icon_biggrin.gif but who cares..lets buy more icon_razz.gif and do you ever use your michaels or a.c coupons,just to be able to buy stuff even if you don't need it now?

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 6:29am
post #21 of 29

Oh thank God I'm not alone. I think we could make a ton of money if we started a club like AA only call it CA and charge only a dollar a month membership. Just think of all the NEW stuff we could buy then. LOL

At first I was trying to make sure I always used what I bought right away so at least I can say I used it. But then that quickly went out the door and now I have boxes full of things I've never used yet and a bookcase full of books I've not yet read.

But I will........someday. I know I will.

Besides, if not and one day we tire of all this, well then there is eBay and we will be rich!

Joanne

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 7:59am
post #22 of 29

I really try not to buy unless I need something for a cake that is upcoming that I am getting pd for. What I need is usually $50 and up anyway. I pretty much have all the wilton I can use, so my Michael's and JoAnn's coupons go unused half the time. Also, I have a pretty good library, so I can preview a lot of books and see if I will use them before I buy them.

However.....Gingerbread.....I go to every store in town, from the dollar store to the Mall to the Cracker Barrel looking for cool candy, cookies, gum, etc. I don't know exactly what I'll use stuff for, just want to have a lot on hand. I do save a lot from year to year--If it goes on Gingerbread, it will get dusty before it gets eaten.

So, Jorre, go ahead and buy those candy rocks!!!!! I know exactly what you can do with them. thumbs_up.gif

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 3:08pm
post #23 of 29

Story of my life. Glad I'm not alone.

veronika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronika Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 3:41pm
post #24 of 29

And dh is always there to tell me that I should wait untill I need it... if he only knew about all the "secrets" stuffed in the back of our cupboards! icon_lol.gif

shrek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shrek Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 8:38pm
post #25 of 29

Definitely YES!

ashlymomx2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashlymomx2 Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 8:45pm
post #26 of 29

Oh No! I am just staring out making cakes and am already saying, "honey, but I need that to..." I am a newbie and already having a hard time finding a place to put stuff. Michaels coupon starts tomorrow. I want.....and.......and........ icon_biggrin.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 8:49pm
post #27 of 29

I just did exactly that.

I was at Michaels browsing around trying to find anything "else" I might need.

And they had this bin of 4" monogram initials made of pearl beads on wires, in white or pale sage green. For $1.00 each! So I sorted through them and bought one of every letter they had...

For what? I have no idea. But you never know when someone will want a pearl monogrammed letter on their cake! icon_smile.gif

partsgirl25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
partsgirl25 Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 8:53pm
post #28 of 29

I've actually nearly filled up my hall closet with stuff. It's the only place dh won't look because it used to have my vacuum & other cleaning stuff in it. I have dozens of pans i buy just in case me or my best friend need to use them.

Cake_Mooma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Mooma Posted 10 Jul 2006 , 1:38am
post #29 of 29

O.K. so this is when you know that you need HELP!!!!!

I bought not one, not two but three editions of the Sunday paper so I can get the 40% off coupon for Michael's because (this is what I told my Hubby) I start the Wilton class and I need these things. I am takeing the class now after 1 1/2 years of decorating. I have a TV box full of (what my sis calls - cake crap)!!! Imagine that, this is worth gold to us. I have closets that barely close and oh Behind my moms sofa (yeah I'm even hiding stuff at my moms). Isn't there a CDA (cake decorators anonymous) somewhere I think that we would have a full room every night. Lol

But wait there is something on clearance at Michael's that I want, oh and at the party store on the way home, oh and on E-Bay. I guess I'll join tomorrow.

So you are not alone.

icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%