Coloring Fondant With A...

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 7:58am by starra328

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 30 May 2007 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 13

food processor? I read in the Cake Bible that you can color fondant in the food processor so you don't have to knead it in. Has anyone tried this?

12 replies
summernoelle Posted 30 May 2007 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 13

Bump

summernoelle Posted 30 May 2007 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 13

Bump

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 31 May 2007 , 1:43am
post #4 of 13

I have never heard of this, but I can't imagine that it would work. Fodant is thick and heavy. Would the food processor be able to handle it?
Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

If you try it, please post the results.

Good luck,
Alex

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 31 May 2007 , 1:58am
post #5 of 13

I am also interested in the results. Sorry, we can't help with the question, summernoelle.
Good luck,
Jill

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 31 May 2007 , 2:09am
post #6 of 13

Just heard about this yesterday, but haven't tried it. Perhaps softening slightly in the microwave first would help.

summernoelle Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 13

OK, so I tried the fondant in the food processor. I have a Kitchen Aid one, so it is pretty powerful. I had to do it in about 3 batches. When you put it in, it breaks up into teeny tiny pieces and kind of looks like that Nerds candy. But it easily comes back together when you take it out, and is warm, so I didn't have to wear out my hands while kneading it.
It wasn't COMPLETELY uniform in color (there were some streaks of white), so it does need a little bit of kneading, but it still kept the food coloring off my hands and saved me some time.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 8:10pm
post #8 of 13

Hmm.... interesting to know but doesn't sound like it saves enough time to be worth it. Three batches vs. one batch, and the wear on the motor.

Cool experiment though! thumbs_up.gif

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 8:18pm
post #9 of 13

Sounds interesting good to know that it does work. Have to remember that.

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 8:21pm
post #10 of 13

This is how I frequently color my marshmallow fondant. It works great & is quick if I have a big hunk of fondant to color. Saves time & more importantly saves my hands from all that kneading. If I'm making a whole batch or multiple batches in the same color, I add the coloring to water a shade deeper than I want my final result. Then I use the colored water when I melt my marshmallows. This works great for multiple batches of the same color, b/c they come out exactly the same shade (you just use the same amount of the same water in each batch). For small amounts of fondant for accents, I just knead in the coloring - it's less work than having to wash the processor bowl & blade! icon_lol.gif

Bec

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 8:25pm
post #11 of 13

You can also knead coloring into your fondant in the KitchenAid with your dough hook attachment. But same results, it will not be evenly colored and you will still have to knead to bring it together to a uniform color. I still like Nic Lodge's way of coloring fondant. Make a small ball of fondant about the size of a small ping pong ball, color it with gel or paste color a shade or two darker than what you want for the finished color. Add the ball to about 1 lb. of white fondant and knead in. You can pull and twist the fondant if you want a marbled color, or continue to knead until the color is uniform.

summernoelle Posted 6 Jun 2007 , 9:20pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks for all the advice!

starra328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starra328 Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 7:58am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_heart_pastry

This is how I frequently color my marshmallow fondant. It works great & is quick if I have a big hunk of fondant to color. Saves time & more importantly saves my hands from all that kneading. If I'm making a whole batch or multiple batches in the same color, I add the coloring to water a shade deeper than I want my final result. Then I use the colored water when I melt my marshmallows. This works great for multiple batches of the same color, b/c they come out exactly the same shade (you just use the same amount of the same water in each batch). For small amounts of fondant for accents, I just knead in the coloring - it's less work than having to wash the processor bowl & blade! icon_lol.gif

Bec

That's how i do it to. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%