Gonna Build A Kitchen This Fall!

Business By Chef_Stef Updated 8 Jul 2006 , 1:12pm by baergarivera

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 6:04am
post #1 of 7

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_cool.gif

DH knows contractors, plumbers, electricians, and we deal in wood and with sawmills in our business, so we can get the lumber milled at next to nothing and get a kitchen built, hopefully start this fall. I have tried unsuccessfully to rent ANYthing around here to work from. (long story) icon_razz.gificon_cry.gifthumbsdown.gif So I'll build my own little shop here on our property out in the country.

We have 5 acres, not in a housing development or anything, not in city limits. Already got the license and the dba (easy part)...but nowhere to bake legally (our state doesn't license home kitchens at all).

What have any of you learned about building? Any tips to share or shoulda/woulda/coulda's to offer? What size building do you have or would you have? Recommendations on ovens, etc.?

Thanks for anything you care to share! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 7

Just wanted to say congratulations! Sounds very exciting!!

FancyLayne23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FancyLayne23 Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 7

Congrats. That is awesome news. I wish you all the best.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 7

You will need patience. Just like all construction, it will take more time and more money than you think. But, It will be worth it.

Be sure to have the health department review your floor plan before you finalize it, in case your forgot something.

You probably will have to have a restroom in the building, as well.

With ovens you need ventillation. A large exhaust fan and an opposite window will help.

If you ever plan to share your kitchen, be sure you can lock your pantry. Instead of building shelving, I use a large metal file cabinet with adjustable shelves, that locks.

When I bought my 3-compartment sink, I didn't think I needed drainboards on both sides. I am lucky to have put the mop sink on the right return. I covered it with a large cutting board and use that to stack dishes ready to wash.

Look at used ovens in a restaurant supply place. I saw many nearly new ones from places that folded early. The baking you do will effect your choices of ovens, and there are many.

I have a rolling work station (see photo in gallery) that is one of the best things I designed. It is a modified shelf from the tall 6-shelf Costco set. I use the other half as a bookshelf, just outside my kitchen.

Good luck.

JoAnn

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 7

How exciting congratulations.........I'm going to keep an eye on this Joann has a lot of good suggestions.....ventilation....something I would have forgotten LOL.......I'm planning on renovating my garage in the next year or so for the same thing.......Good Luck!!!!

DRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DRose Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 7:34am
post #6 of 7

You'll probably need a grease trap installed and need your water tested for contaminates, and bacteria.
Congratulations!

baergarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baergarivera Posted 8 Jul 2006 , 1:12pm
post #7 of 7

Hey. Best wishes to you . My Sugestion would be to talk to your local Health Department since they have a list of what are the items you would need. Also ask them for a list of the items you would need to have in your bakery to you will pass inspection. The list they provide you would be for free depends on your state I am in CT. and I am looking to do the same thing. Also call the 1-800 internation number operator they will give you phone numbers off all baking magazines or go to internet get information before you spend your money. You may find your self spending more than what you really need to.
Best of luck. Good Bless. icon_smile.gif
Michelle
CT

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%