Help With Cake Dummies...

Decorating By tiff2006 Updated 27 May 2007 , 3:19pm by prterrell

tiff2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiff2006 Posted 27 May 2007 , 6:14am
post #1 of 8

Ok so, I just got my cake dummies in the mail and am itching to start decorating them.

I would like to reuse these dummies and will be primarily using fondant.

My question is, do I simply put the fondant on the dummy? Or do I have to ice it with buttercream first?

If I don't ice it with BC, can I simply peel the fondant off and reuse?

Thanks so much!

7 replies
Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 27 May 2007 , 6:16am
post #2 of 8

I haven't gotten a chance to play with mine yet. But the tips I am storing are the following:

If the edges are shape, sand or they will tear the fondant.
Just mist with water and apply the fondant.

HTH

Judi

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 27 May 2007 , 6:23am
post #3 of 8

When I did mine I covered them with plastic wrap and them put on a thin layer of buttercream then the fondant. That way you can just pull off the plastic wrap and use it again.

zoomitoons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomitoons Posted 27 May 2007 , 6:45am
post #4 of 8

i wrap mine in plastic wrap, cover with a layer of buttercream then fondant

good luck
Amy

naz1905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naz1905 Posted 27 May 2007 , 10:59am
post #5 of 8

Hi, i only covered mine in cling film, then use fondant straight away. You have to wet the cling film first. If you put fondant staight waway you won't be able to have a clean finish whenit comes to removing it.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 May 2007 , 11:07am
post #6 of 8

You don't even have to cover them with plastic wrap. Soften the corners a tad with another piece of styrofoam (cakes have give, styrofoam doesn't) and put a very thin layer of piping gel on it. Not sticky but rather just tacky. Then place your fondant on it. To clean rinse off in hot water and air dry. You will likely have to soak it, but that's easy to do. They last a loooooooong time this way! icon_biggrin.gif Hope that helps some! icon_smile.gif

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 27 May 2007 , 11:11am
post #7 of 8

Save

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 May 2007 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 8

I attach fondant to dummies using clear piping gel (the kind in the tub not the tube). Just put a big glob on top of the dummy and smear it all over with your hand until there is a thin sticky coating of the stuff all over the styrofoam.

Not sure if it comes off or not, because I only did the fondant covered dummies when I was at Publix and have only done the royal icing ones at home. I would think it would come off ok, especially if you soaked it for a few hours in water.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%