Did I Mess Up?

Decorating By pump_jc Updated 3 Jul 2006 , 5:55pm by Kazoot

pump_jc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pump_jc Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 12:02pm
post #1 of 18

I baked my cakes last night, and after they cooled, I wrapped them in saran wrap and put them in the refrigerator. I'm going to ice them today. Are they still going to be moist???

Thanks!!!

17 replies
cowdex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowdex Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 12:03pm
post #2 of 18

you will be fine!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 12:05pm
post #3 of 18

very moist!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 12:06pm
post #4 of 18

It'll depend on how moist they were when you took them out of the oven. I usually let my cakes cool for about 10 minutes in the tin and then turn out onto saran wrap, wrap and allow to go cold. That way all the steam (the cake's moisture!), goes back into the cake. Unwrap your cakes and give them a prod, you should be able to feel if they're still moist or not. If not, pour some simple syrup over them, that will help replace some moisture. Hope that helps!

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 18

I think putting plastic wrap over the cakes is a bit unsafe as the saran wrap's plastc chemicals transfer to the cake when it is melted and in direct contact with the cake(which they are leading alot of things to, i don't knwo if all of what they say is true but no chemicals are safe from plastic). If you read on the box it says not to use on hot food ,and i think that's for a reason. I'd go with tin foil instead of plastic wrap. It'll do the same thing ,judt don;t put it straight into the freezer. Unwrap it and wra it in saran wrap and then tin foil once it's cooled. icon_smile.gif

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 1:44pm
post #6 of 18

Been using plastic wrap for 34 years now. I don't find it a problem at all. It has to be food safe.

FerretDeprived Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 1:45pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyladyhelen

Been using plastic wrap for 34 years now. I don't find it a problem at all. It has to be food safe.

It's food safe when it isn't metled. Lol

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 18

The plastic wrap doesn't melt.

I've been doing the plastic wrap on hot cakes method since I heard about it a month or two ago and I love the way the cakes turn out. Get rave reviews.

Leaving cakes on cooling racks exposed to the air kinda grosses me out lol I can't stand for any food to be left out like that. Mainly because of it drying out. I made a wedding cake this week/weekend and I had to let the 16" tier cool on a wire rack because of time and it was so much harder to level with my cake leveler because the outside of the cake had dried out.

FerretDeprived Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun33082

The plastic wrap doesn't melt.

What brand doyou use? Mine has always melted when i put it on, maybe its my brand? icon_confused.gif

magentaa23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magentaa23 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 2:14pm
post #10 of 18

if your cake is not cooled completely before you wrap in plastic, the moisture from the steam does not keep your cake moist... it created a breeding ground for mold and bacteria to grow and can make people really sick.

FerretDeprived Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 2:22pm
post #11 of 18

Lol if that's true and you feel comfortable using plastic wrap, wrap the cake and freeze it right away. I forgot to mention i always put my cakes in the freezer right when they come out of the pan, that keeps them moist as well. And i just ice it frozen, it'll thaw naturally on the counter before anyone eats it or needs it.

Is this a safe method?

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 3:01pm
post #12 of 18

has it truly melted? or just gotten soft.

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 5:20pm
post #13 of 18

I have read everyone's view on wrapping in saran. I make from scratch and all my life have left out to cool like every receipe says , as I read all these posts I thought I would give it a go. Firstly the plastic wrap gets very soggy definetly health issues involved and I believe your trapping wetness inside and I also believe it did not make the slightest difference. If you bake a cake and Im not talking box mixtures because they are incredibly moist/////and days later still moist thus do not require anything to keep them moist/ they have preservatives oil and I do not know what else but a scratch cake if it is moist in the first place the wrap has NO significance whatsoever. I discussed this with my teacher and we both agree it does nothing. Also the freezing perhaps helps in practical ways but not for a moist cake. They are obviously my views and I have done a lot of experiments lately because the problem with covering a scratch cake in fondant is without a fudge or chocolate or whatever coating you do not get the tast buds flowing and the moistness created in the mouth/ as I make only fondant covered cakes I wanted the moisture as well as the taste. Anyhow lets not get aggressive and see what we all have to say. But health and safety issues aside one is supposedly never meant to put warm food into a fridge right/ or wrong......BACTERIA love it.

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 5:40pm
post #14 of 18

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Im sorry but it seems like we can all argue about anything!!! I just hope it isn't about scratch vs mix again.....that ones old already!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 5:46pm
post #15 of 18

from a publication by the FDA:
"Hot food wont harm your refrigerator, so its okay to place hot food inside. But, be sure to divide large amounts of leftovers into shallow containers for quicker cooling."

but, I've found other information on other gov't websites (uk) that give the opposite advice.

Common sense tells me it makes more sense to put the warm food straight into the fridge since it will cool more quickly (also won't be forgotten about). putting a TON of warm food might slightly raise the overall temp in the fridge, but only temporarily as the machine adjusts to the cooling need

I'm not sure how getting the cling flim soggy is a health issue - tht stuff is SO throughly tested i just can't see it being an issue at all.

But I have to admit, I don't see the sense in putting a baked cake in the fridge (unless the topping or filling requires it). The fridge pulls moisture out of foods - a cake will dry out in there if left too long (and/or not wrapped). Freezing doesn't cause the same issues, based on what i've red and my own experiences.

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 5:50pm
post #16 of 18

I don't think this is arguing nor about scratch versus box this is particularly intersting and the issue is moistness and saran wrap......Moisture a box has with or without saran whereas a scratch will never beat the moistness of a box BUT DOES THE SARAN DO ANYTHING??? Is the question. If the cake was moist in the first place I believe 100% that saran does nothing. Obviously it will prevent dryness if you wrap once cool.

FerretDeprived Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 5:51pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

I'm not sure how getting the cling flim soggy is a health issue - tht stuff is SO throughly tested i just can't see it being an issue at all.

For me at least t doesn't get soggy. It doesn't melt to a complete goop. It melts a good bit though.
They're started to do tests on plastic now and they are finding that plastic melting onto food releases a chemical that can cause cancer and toher things(and its jsut generally unhealthy). At least from where i read it.

As for the saran wrap doing anything, i don't particular know or can say. But for freezing, i think freezing does at least a little something. It suspends the water that would normally get into the air when cooling. At least that's how i see it.

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 5:55pm
post #18 of 18

Hey all. Just found this thread and thought it would interest all of you.

Pump jc, your cake should be fine. I have done that alot. If you have a moist recipe, you cake is fine. I let mine cool for about 15 min out of the pan and then wrap them. Works great for me.

Sun, What about using a large trash bag. That is what I do. Of course, you have to make sure they have no scent or anything like that. Works wonderful. I get the 39 gallon ones at the dollar store. Save some money!!! LOL

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%