Ideas For Small Heart German Chocolate Anniversary Cake

Decorating By nutcase68 Updated 4 Jun 2007 , 12:20pm by nutcase68

nutcase68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nutcase68 Posted 27 May 2007 , 12:41am
post #1 of 15

I need to do a small stacked heart German chocolate anniversary cake for Saturday. That frosting does not scream "Hey, decorate with me!" Yes, I have to have that frosting, that is why he eats the cake. This cake is a gift to the couple, as they are close friends of mine. What ideas do you have for me?
TIA

14 replies
darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 27 May 2007 , 12:55am
post #2 of 15

Sorry but I dont understand what you mean about the frosting. Are you saying he likes one particular kind of frosting that you absolutely must use but is not very good touse for decorating?

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 27 May 2007 , 12:56am
post #3 of 15

I just made a german choc cake for a friend and I used the heart pan. I too was like "how do you decorate this thing?" so what I did was put royal icing dasies around the heart on top. It was very pretty and very simple. I would show you a pic but at the moment the site is down for maintence but I will have the pic on there shortly.

nutcase68 Posted 27 May 2007 , 1:43am
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcat

Sorry but I dont understand what you mean about the frosting. Are you saying he likes one particular kind of frosting that you absolutely must use but is not very good touse for decorating?

German chocolate frosting is full of pecans and coconut. You could not get that thru a decorator tube if you tried.
Mary

momthreekiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momthreekiddos Posted 27 May 2007 , 1:52am
post #5 of 15

You can use chocolate buttercream to pipe with (borders, writing, etc). You can even use "German Chocolate" (green box of chocolate squares by Baker's) added to buttercream to accent your cake.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 27 May 2007 , 2:17am
post #6 of 15

I agree with icing your cake with the traditional German Chocolate Cake icing and decorating with chocolate buttercream - borders; etc.
I wouldn't go overboard with decorating it though. Maybe 1-3 flowers. That icing with a lot of decorations might look like too much?

HeatherDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherDawn Posted 27 May 2007 , 3:56am
post #7 of 15

My husband LOVES German Chocolate,and I know exactly what you mean about the icing. I've done them two different ways. Either ice them with the coconut icing, and then border with choc.icing and put choc. shavings on top......... or I've also made one, bordered it the same, but melted white choc, put it in the pan, let it cool, took it out of the pan and presto! You have a white "plate" to set on top that you can write on, decorate, etc..... I hope this helps and good luck!

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 27 May 2007 , 4:14am
post #8 of 15

i frost and decorate with choc BC then fill with the coco/pecan frosting then i add some more on top of the cake i have pics but just cant open it right now

nutcase68 Posted 27 May 2007 , 1:01pm
post #9 of 15

I love the ideas. I am thinking of melding some of them together to make one cake.
Mary

nutcase68 Posted 31 May 2007 , 9:29pm
post #10 of 15

Well folks, I got the cake done. It has a white chocolate plaque. I put buttercream stars around that. I put RI flowers on it and Pirolene cookies around the border. I could not have done it with out all of you.
OK, it won't let me attatch. I will stick it in my gallery.
Thanks.

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 3:28pm
post #11 of 15

The cake looks awesome!

LearningCurve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LearningCurve Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 3:39pm
post #12 of 15

Very pretty cake. So how are you supposed to cut through the white chocolate plaque without it destroying the cake. Also do you know that you don't have it turned on so that people can leave you comments on your cake pictures???

Amanda

HeatherDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherDawn Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 9:41pm
post #13 of 15

I suppose it would be like any other cake with things on the top of them...... remove the plaque. Usually at that point, people don't really care. Think of it as removing a wedding layer. LOL IF some icing comes off, most of the time the people just scrape if off and mound it back on. At least around here they will. icon_biggrin.gif

JoJo40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo40 Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 12:02am
post #14 of 15

Really nice! More than I had expected to see done; I really like the RI flowers. I want to use those cookies around a cake like you did.

nutcase68 Posted 4 Jun 2007 , 12:20pm
post #15 of 15

Also do you know that you don't have it turned on so that people can leave you comments on your cake pictures???

Amanda[/quote]

Thanks Amanda, that explains a lot. I had it turned on. When they updated they must have shut it off. I had to many saves on that cake for no comments.
I got the cookie idea from my Wilton instructor. The rest of the ideas are all from you folks. They just loved the cake. Thanks everybody.
Mary

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%