White Dots In Colored Bc?

Decorating By kdees Updated 27 May 2007 , 1:47am by ThatsHowTcakesRolls

kdees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdees Posted 27 May 2007 , 12:03am
post #1 of 6

I don't understand why when I ice my cakes with color-tinted bc, the next day the already crusted icing has white dots in it. How can I prevent that from happening again?

5 replies
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 27 May 2007 , 12:26am
post #2 of 6

Sounds like it might be an ingredient that wasn't mixed in throughly...sugar maybe? Possibly the shortening isn't being creamed completely??

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 27 May 2007 , 12:33am
post #3 of 6

Did the recipe call for salt? I have heard of that happening if you add the salt directly to the dry ingredients or after the icing is beaten. I would dissolve the salt in the liquid called for in the ingredients. Once it has happened I don't think there is a way to remedy it.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 27 May 2007 , 1:14am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the tip Shirley - I've had that happen recently and I didn't know why. Is there anything you can suggest to tone down the sweetness after the icing is made? I have needed to do that before and do not want to have "crunchy" icing...lol

navywifetrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navywifetrat Posted 27 May 2007 , 1:29am
post #5 of 6

I have had this same problem but I didn't put any salt in it. I have had it happen twice now. I used 1 stick of salted and unsalted butter and hi-ratio shortening, PS and vanilla.

ThatsHowTcakesRolls Posted 27 May 2007 , 1:47am
post #6 of 6

I was always told NOT to use Salted butter...maybe that's my problem...It just let's all the sweetness come through...maybe I should do a 50/50 ratio of salted and unsalted butter...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%