How Much Would You Charge?

Business By anorris3 Updated 3 Jul 2006 , 5:19pm by leily

anorris3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anorris3 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 12:01am
post #1 of 10

We were quoted $244 for a 3 tier square wedding cake (14-10-6) with filling, basic design plus a 12" round grooms cake (chocolate with sports theme). Our decorator who is new to the wedding cake business (she has been doing party cakes for a while now) called us later to tell us that she miscalculated and that normally our wedding cake alone would cost $375 but she would just charge us $40 more.
I am okay with this considering she was the cheapest quote we got. Fiance on the other hand is frustrated b/c he didn't want to spend more than $250. What advice can you all give? Should I be okay with the $40 more considering the original quote was pretty low IMO? And is this what most of you would charge for a wedding cake of this size starting out? Please help, I am meeting with her in the morning.

Also there is no rentals involved and she doesn't charge for deliveries over $100.

9 replies
cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 12:08am
post #2 of 10

Wish I could help, but I need to see a pic of the cake .... what flavor cake(s), filling(s) and icing. Plus the decorations she is doing. All this has to be considered into pricing.
Personally, just going on info supplied, I would say having a wedding cake AND a large groom's cake made, you're getting a SUPER bargain even with the added $40.

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 12:16am
post #3 of 10

I've seen so many posts about when one of us gives a low quote and realizes it's going to cost more. Usually the replies say to stick with the original price and learn your lesson for next time. However, there are things to consider like, was this in a contract yet? Was it just an estimate where you were going to sign a contract later? On a personal note, so you like this person, do you get a good vibe from her? As a cake decorater we all know $244 is an incredible bargain for that amount of cake and even at $40 more is a good price. Just keep in mind that if you turn her down and go elsewhere, you might end up paying a whole lot more.

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 12:20am
post #4 of 10

I think a 14 10 6 square wedding cake with a 12" grooms including delivery & setup for $288 is an amazing deal. That works out to be about $2.00/serving if you don't count the top tier. Really good deal!

anorris3 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 12:29am
post #5 of 10

cakes47
The cake is white with choc. bavarian cream, bc, and berry filling with buttercream icing. The design (I have no picture b/c I don't think there is one) is a crossword puzzle theme so the cake would be gridded off with a few of the squares filled in- no flowers or anything- just simple lines.

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 12:30am
post #6 of 10

Fantastic price! If Fiance doesn't like it, let him do the shopping around for a price. Send him to all of the local bakeries with all the information on the cake you were quoted to see if he can find one in a better price range.

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 4:22am
post #7 of 10

You're getting a great deal. This is serving 93 from the wedding cake only, and not counting the top tier. Add the groom's cake, which serves 40. She is only charging about $2 a serving, which is about as low as you are gonna get these days. In fact, you will be hard pressed to find anywhere near as low as that. I completely agree with whomever said that you will probably end up paying much more going to someone else, AND if you don't lock her in, she is likely to be booked before you can.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 10:43am
post #8 of 10

if she hadn't put the price in a contract, she's not obliged to stick to it. Mistakes do happen, and since she contacted you immediately, I think she's being honest and upfront.

You CAN pay less for a cake, but not for THAT cake. If you have a max. budget of $250, that's fine, but you will have to adjust your expectations for the cake.

ps: YOU try putting a grid on a cake. I think flowers would be easier. It is more work than most people think.

anorris3 Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 4:31pm
post #9 of 10

I met with her this morning and we agreed to $350. I hope this makes the cake gods happy.
jmt1714- I didn't realize it would be difficult to do a grid. Why is that?

Also, I would like to thank everyone on here who has helped. I know that I am just an outsider looking in but cake decorating is so fascinating. There is so much amazing stuff on here. It is addicting for me and I don't even do cakes!!! If it would only pay my student loans I might consider a change in careers.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 5:19pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by anorris3

I met with her this morning and we agreed to $350. I hope this makes the cake gods happy.
jmt1714- I didn't realize it would be difficult to do a grid. Why is that?

Also, I would like to thank everyone on here who has helped. I know that I am just an outsider looking in but cake decorating is so fascinating. There is so much amazing stuff on here. It is addicting for me and I don't even do cakes!!! If it would only pay my student loans I might consider a change in careers.

When doing a grid on a cake, there is a lot of planning before you can do it. First you have to consider the cake size and trying to space out your grid evenly. Then you have to get the lines straight!!!! and if your decorator is like anyof us on here, they are a perfectionist so it takes them a while to make sure it will be right.

Wedding cakes just take time b/c of all of the planning and decorating that goes into them. Even if you are getting a white cake with only buttercream icing and no decorations it will still take hours of making it. Mixing the cake, the icing, cleaning (oh the dreaded word around here), and the time to get that icing on there perfect.

It is nice that you are doing some research though. She is giving you a great deal. And even if she does it out of her home, it takes her (or him) just as much time, or more to make the same cake.

Congratulations on the wedding!

Leily

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%