Fondant

Decorating By Libbyloue Updated 6 Aug 2006 , 1:38am by Libbyloue

Libbyloue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Libbyloue Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 11

is it edible thumbsdown.gifthumbs_up.gif ? i am new at this and just starting out and i need A LOT of help! icon_cry.gif

10 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 11

yes, it is edible, but the taste depends on the brand you use. I use marshmallow fondant that I make at home that tastes pretty good, and people always eat it. I've heard that Wilton tastes nasty!

Libbyloue Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 11

Wow thanks! but how can you make it? im sorry if i ask a lot of questions i just started and i am only 15 but i want to do this for a living or atleast on the side and i want to make my cake for my sweet 16 and i want to use fondant and make a chanel handbag cake but how can you make it?

jen1977 Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 11

16 oz white marshmallows
2 tb water
2 lb icing sugar (approx. 8 cups confectioners' or powdered sugar)
1. Melt marshmallows and water in a double boiler or microwave.
Heat until melted.

2. Place half of the sugar in a bowl. Make a well in the middle.
Pour melted marshmallow in and mix.

3. Add remaining sugar and continue kneading. (add more powedered sugar in tablespoons as you are kneading. Micture should not be sticky)

TIPS
---grease your hands and the bowl.
Also, let this stuff rest overnight.
It will be pretty stiff when you try to knead it again, but it can be microwaved for five to ten seconds (start off with 5) and it will soften right up and be perfect for rolling out and playing with.

Discard all the crusty residues.

TO USE
if fondant is too hard, place about 30 sec. in microwave. Dust work table with cornstarch, and knead for a couple of minutes.
Then roll as thin as you want with rolling pin dusted in cornstarch. To avoid it from stickin to your work surface, turn rolled dough frequently, and continue dusting with cornstarch until you have reached desired thinnes.
To color: Separate small amounts of fondant & color with paste food colours to the desired tone. Knead until colour is smooth and completely uniform.
This fondant does not set fast at all. When you have formed your flowers, set them on a curved surface so they don't loose their shape (hang them upside down) It will not be as perfect as Gum Paste, but it will work. Also, start making flowers at least two days in advance to allow them to set.

Additions
add 2oz melted vanilla candy melts.

You may not need all of the sugar!

The recipe and directions are from this site

jen1977 Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 11

Forgot to add...Welcome! You can search thru the galleries for purse cakes and pm the person who made the one you like, and most would give you the directions! Good luck!

Libbyloue Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 11

You are so wonderful! thank you so much for all of your help! if i have any questions can i e-mail you them?

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 11

Hi Libbyloue and welcome. Definitely make your fondant, don't use Wiltons. It's YUCKY! Bad aftertaste, and it's expensive. Don't forget to take a picture of your cake when you are done. Good luck.

Libbyloue Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 11:58pm
post #8 of 11

Ok i definately want to use fondant and i am going to try the marshmello but is there any other way to make the fondant?

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 4:29am
post #9 of 11

You know, I see a lot of complaints about Wilton fondant, and my kids like it! We add flavoring, and they eat it up! LOL

I sell a few cakes with fondant, most often the present cake, and I haven't had any complaints about it, although a lot of people do peel it off. I put buttercream under it. I think the taste just depends on your preferences.

I do want to try the MMF, though. I plan to, but it's really easy to buy it............ it can be expensive, though.

paxpuella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paxpuella Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 4:54am
post #10 of 11

I have another question about the MMF. I've made it once and kept it in a closed container to work with. Tonight I decided I wanted to make the fondant bow with loops. I microwaved it until pliable and used crisco to keep it from sticking, b/c I'd heard that cornstarch can dry it out. Is there a way you can use too much crisco? It seems almost too pliable when I put the strips on the dowel rod to dry.

Thanks.

Libbyloue Posted 6 Aug 2006 , 1:38am
post #11 of 11

Thank You Everyone for the help i needed it! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%