Congratulations Antonia74 Aka Marmalade Cake Company!!!

Decorating By micfish Updated 1 Jun 2007 , 2:12pm by micfish

Blue0877 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blue0877 Posted 28 May 2007 , 2:54pm
post #31 of 60

congrats!! your cupcakes are beautiful!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 29 May 2007 , 1:58pm
post #32 of 60

Woo Hoo!! Good for you!! They are so pretty too. I love the subtle beauty of them.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 29 May 2007 , 2:05pm
post #33 of 60

congrats!!

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 29 May 2007 , 3:45pm
post #34 of 60

Congrats!

cakeguru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeguru Posted 29 May 2007 , 4:10pm
post #35 of 60

You should see her Tony Hawk Skate boarder cake.

Helen...post it if you're out there!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 29 May 2007 , 4:27pm
post #36 of 60

Thanks CC! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

What a wonderful peek at the photo Micfish, you rock! (I haven't even bought a copy yet. I went to the store last week and grabbed a "Canadian Home & Country" magazine by accident, then forgot about making sure to buy the right title. DOH! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Here's the cake Cakeguru mentioned. It was an unbelieveable Bar Mitzvah 2 weeks ago for the luckiest boy in the world! He had a skateboarding-themed bash in a massive venue where they had actually built a half-pipe right inside the building. During the evening, Tony Hawk made a surprise appearance and did a big private show & performance for the guests!! We did the cake (about 5 feet tall, 210 lbs.) with an edible skateboarder on top that looked like the Bar Mitzvah boy (thanks to Duff for the Rice Krispie treat technique!!) :
LL
LL
LL
LL

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 29 May 2007 , 4:34pm
post #37 of 60

Cupcakes are beautiful, and OMG icon_eek.gif that skateboarding cake is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 29 May 2007 , 4:50pm
post #38 of 60

HOLY MOLY!!! icon_surprised.gif That cake is crazy!! I love it! I can't even imagine how much it would cost for Tony Hawk to show let alone perform too!

Congrats on the magazine too!!!!

cakeguru Posted 30 May 2007 , 12:28am
post #39 of 60

Antonia...just curious, how many staff do you have at Marmalade??
Where exactly are you located in T.Dot?

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 30 May 2007 , 12:42am
post #40 of 60

Antonia,
The cupcakes are beautiful!.
That skateboard cake is out of this world. How did you do the topper? Is it all Rice crispies?
Again, awesome cake.

antonia74 Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:30pm
post #41 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeguru

Antonia...just curious, how many staff do you have at Marmalade??
Where exactly are you located in T.Dot?

It's just myself and Anastasia. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif We do also get some help from a few friends who are also bakers, like our friend Jacqueline (a Pastry Chef in the Distillery) and I'm always doing a bit of shared business with Lisa (used to be on here as Flourgrl, she's nearby and we sub-contract little things to each other from time to time).

I have a rental kitchen near High Park where production is done, but my consultations/pickups are done at my home right nearby.

antonia74 Posted 30 May 2007 , 2:33pm
post #42 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by JILBRY

That skateboard cake is out of this world. How did you do the topper? Is it all Rice crispies?

It's Rice Krispies modelled around a wooden art-supply mannequin, fondant skin/helmet, real clothes sewn to size, skateboard is a gingerbread cookie iced in fondant, wheels are real from a toy car.

cakeguru Posted 30 May 2007 , 3:06pm
post #43 of 60

It's just myself and Anastasia. Smile Smile We do also get some help from a few friends who are also bakers, like our friend Jacqueline (a Pastry Chef in the Distillery) and I'm always doing a bit of shared business with Lisa (used to be on here as Flourgrl, she's nearby and we sub-contract little things to each other from time to time).

I have a rental kitchen near High Park where production is done, but my consultations/pickups are done at my home right nearby.

Flourgrl is Flour Confections right?? I know of her, she isn't too far from me, but I don't know her personally.

Thats awesome. I guess your business started from word of mouth way back when?. I live in Toronto too and love to find cake buddies!

antonia74 Posted 30 May 2007 , 8:17pm
post #44 of 60

I started out in the Pastry Dept of the Art Gallery of Ontario with Anastasia as a co-worker. We did wedding cakes every single weekend for the gallery and I was trained there by some amazing chefs. The AGO closed down for all the massive renovations, so we went on our own and did Marmalade full time. The AGO will re-open in June 2008 and I'll go back to resume my job there again. icon_smile.gif

I took the George Brown Wedding cake courses, which were pretty good for technique. Mostly though, I was trained on the job....which was the best way for me, getting paid AND learning. thumbs_up.gif

Lisa is indeed www.flourconfections.ca She's amazing! We actually became friends through forums like this and we've worked (and emailed each other for constant support!!! icon_cry.gif ) for over a year now. She's awesome and I really admire the amazing quality of everything she does.

cakeguru Posted 31 May 2007 , 12:35am
post #45 of 60

I would KILL for a job doing cakes at the AGO! You are so lucky!

I've been doing cakes for over two years now and I absolutely adore it.
Have you ever heard of Creative Cutters? ITs a cake boutique and supply store in Richmond Hill....they offer classes coming up fall. I want expand my knowledge on how to do gumpaste realistic flowers. The store is owned by Geraldine Randlesom and I hear that they're going to be bringing in some international (to be named) famous decorators to do seminars. I'm so excited!

Do you make your own fondant (sugar paste) or what brand do you like best?

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 31 May 2007 , 12:56am
post #46 of 60

Huge congrats on the magazine mention.I love those cupcakes.

What an amazing amount of work for that bar mitzvah cake. I love it

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 31 May 2007 , 1:11am
post #47 of 60

Well deserved!!! Congrats ;o)

aoliveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aoliveira Posted 31 May 2007 , 1:12am
post #48 of 60

Congratulations!! That is such an honor.

Alex

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 31 May 2007 , 1:25am
post #49 of 60

Congratulations!

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 31 May 2007 , 1:27am
post #50 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeguru

I would KILL for a job doing cakes at the AGO! You are so lucky!

I've been doing cakes for over two years now and I absolutely adore it.
Have you ever heard of Creative Cutters? ITs a cake boutique and supply store in Richmond Hill....they offer classes coming up fall. I want expand my knowledge on how to do gumpaste realistic flowers. The store is owned by Geraldine Randlesom and I hear that they're going to be bringing in some international (to be named) famous decorators to do seminars. I'm so excited!

Do you make your own fondant (sugar paste) or what brand do you like best?

I took two classes with Geraldine and her hubby at a cake show and absolutely loved her! I highly recommend you taking those classes with her. She is a wealth of knowledge! Now I'm jealous of both of you icon_wink.gif ...One day I'll be half as talented as you Antonia74...amazing job on that cake and congrats on the magazine feature!

biviana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biviana Posted 31 May 2007 , 1:34am
post #51 of 60

COngradulations Helen! Way to go! thumbs_up.gif

antonia74 Posted 31 May 2007 , 4:39am
post #52 of 60

Thanks everyone! icon_smile.gif

Cakeguru...sure, I've been there/shopped there....and Golda's, McCall's, Nicoloau, etc. Those are our main suppliers.

I actually purchase all our flowers, no time to do them ourselves. I go to McCall's for simple gumpaste ones and to Klara Johnson's www.klarajohnsons.com when we want REALLY nice ones!!

cakeguru Posted 31 May 2007 , 6:54pm
post #53 of 60

Antonia...you are the bestest! I hadn't heard of Nicoloau I've got to check this out. Man, I am so glad we got in contact with each other!

Hey, if you don't mind, I'm gonna email you via your marmalade site and then you'll have my email address and we can chat that way too about everything cake icon_biggrin.gif

naz1905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naz1905 Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 9:27am
post #54 of 60

Hey all, A bit late on the congratulations but here it goes anyways!

Congratulations Antonia74. We get this magasine here in the departure lounge, i'v got to grab a copy!
I actually work for Air canada in heathrow, so when reading this post i discovered that some of the CC users are from toronto it put a wide smie on my face! I'd be delighted to hear a bit more about you antonia, how you stasrted and your path to success, you sound like a real role model!
And....not finished yet! The skateboarder cake is totally fantastic! I loved it, it must have taken you a lot of days to prepare, but fantastic job!Thanks for sharing this picture with us!
Nauseen

franjmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
franjmc Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 10:03am
post #55 of 60

Excellent Helen!
Your cupcakes are always gorgeous!

lilytexas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilytexas Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 10:06am
post #56 of 60

Congrats thumbs_up.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 10:23am
post #57 of 60

I'm happy for your well deserved claim to future fame!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif This is just a preview of coming attractions for you..............................

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 10:36am
post #58 of 60

Congrats Helen!!!

You deserve every accolade that comes your way. You are extremely talented but are also one of the most generous posters on this site. You share without hesitation. I've never seen you tell another member that you can't share something or claim that something is "exclusive" to you. (like a source for a mold or cutter)....

We are lucky to have you!!! icon_biggrin.gif

renkly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
renkly Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 1:50pm
post #59 of 60

WOW, WOW, WOW !!!! What an honor to be in the magazine and then the skateboarfding cake - AMAZING!!!
Congrats to you and thanks so much for sharing - you give real inspiration to the rest of us!!!!!!

micfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micfish Posted 1 Jun 2007 , 2:12pm
post #60 of 60

Helen.. you rock! What a fabulous cake!!! Like some posters said above... you are truely an inspiration! When i first found CC i was so excited to see that you contributed to the site(I had already found your Marmalade site). And I usually log in and see what you've contributed first before looking at anything else! You do such a fabulous job!!! Thanks for sharing!!!thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%