Question About Cake Delivery

Business By JennieB Updated 29 May 2007 , 11:36pm by marmalade1687

JennieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennieB Posted 26 May 2007 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 9

I am pretty new to this whole thing so I'm not really sure if this is how things normally work. I'm just wondering if this is what I should expect. I had a wedding cake to deliver today to a banquet hall. probably the nicest one in my area. My DH walk to the door and said he had a delivery for so and so wedding and asked what door to bring it in. The man at the door said he would take it walked out to the truck took the cake and started inside my DH asked where he was taking it and the man said somewhere in the back room for now. My DH not sure if this is the norm asked for his name and then left. I'm just wondering if this is how "these halls" work these things. I am very worried that if something happens to the cake it is going to look bad on me. TIA Jennie

8 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 26 May 2007 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 9

NO. you should tell them you have to set it up. and take a picture.

Elizabeth19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elizabeth19 Posted 26 May 2007 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 9

Always, always, always set it up yourself. Your reputation is on the line and you want to ensure that the cake looks great, this is the biggest day in a brides life (or pretty close to it!).
Just a suggestion instead of saying "delivery" you may want to phrase it, "Im here to set up the wedding cake for the Smith/Johnson wedding" and ask where the room/cake table is.
I agree with JoAnnB take a picture too! icon_smile.gif

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 26 May 2007 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 9

I delivered a grooms cake to a reception hall that was NOT yet set up. The head "chef" said he would set up the cake and then reached out with his wet grimy hands and touched the fondant on the cake. icon_mad.gif (My DH said he was soooo glad there wasn't a cleaver within my reach! icon_lol.gif )

So they took it and set it on a 12 inch ledge with 8 inches hanging off in a small kitchen with little kids running in and out.

I was nearly sick by the time I got home. I had taken pics before I left the house and called a friend who (luckily for me) was attending the wedding and emailed her the pics. icon_wink.gif

When she got there, it was set up wrong icon_confused.gif and she was able to correct it.

Long long story---(SORRY! icon_redface.gif ) just to say----Will NEVER leave my cake again with someone else to set up.

JennieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennieB Posted 26 May 2007 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you everyone for all your replies. I am still wooried about this as the wedding is not until tonight. I will NEVER make this misteak again I just wanted to make sure that this was not a normal thing and that I am not over reacting! icon_redface.gif

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 26 May 2007 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 9

Wow, what great advice from everyone.
I never thought about other people not putting the care into setting up a cake as I would for my own cake!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 26 May 2007 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennieB

Thank you everyone for all your replies. I am still wooried about this as the wedding is not until tonight.

Do you have any time to go up there and check? Or even and speak to management to make sure it is okay? I would be worried too.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 May 2007 , 1:26am
post #8 of 9

Oh absolutely no freakin' way do you hand your cake over to someone else! I was helping a friend with her wedding (playing the roll of "wedding coordinator" for her) when the bakery delivered the cake. I held the doors open for the lady and since I did cakes, I asked if she wanted any help carrying it in. She told she was not allowed to let anyone else carry it in. So it's not just us ..... "real" bakeries have the policy also!

marmalade1687 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmalade1687 Posted 29 May 2007 , 11:36pm
post #9 of 9

I make sure that I'm one of the last people in the room in order to set up the cake - I don't want the staff setting up the room around the cake that I just spent hours decorating, just to have someone hit it with a chair and say oops! icon_cry.gif I agree with everyone else - no one goes near the cake - it's mine until I finish the setup, take my photo and leave the building!

Nicole

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%