Price Different Between Buttercream & Fondant

Business By SarahJane Updated 2 Jul 2006 , 5:33am by SarahJane

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 4:29am
post #1 of 4

I'm trying to price the same cake done in butter cream and fondant so I can tell them the difference. I'm doing it as a favor for a acquantance(sp??)/friend (this lady will be my son's teacher next year). I'm charging a flat ammount not by the slice. I'm charging cost plus a small amount for my time, but not much because I'm doing it as a favor. I know the difference between the cost of the buttercream and the fondant, but since fondant can be so difficult shouldn't I charge extra for the cakes if they choose fondant? How much do you guys think is fair. There will be a stacked cake of 8", 10', & 12" and then seperate cakes an 8" and 10" that will be put on seperate cake stands next to the tiered cake. HOW MUCH EXTRA WOULD YOU CHARGE TO DO THIS IN FONDANT? (Not cost for the whole cake, just the cost difference between bc & fondant) I hope this makes sense, any help would be appreciated.

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 5:02am
post #2 of 4

You can get to the price by figuring how many servings you expect to get, and divide that into your price, whatever that is. Then, using the price per serving you get, add anywhere from .25 to 1.00 per serving. that will give you a new "target" price.

candy177 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candy177 Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 5:06am
post #3 of 4

It costs me less than $5 to whip up a batch of MMF. I usually charge that much to -$10 extra depending on what they want. icon_smile.gif

I'd probably charge an extra $100 for that. Then again, I didn't really think that totally through LOL. Calculate how many batches you'd need to complete this and then go from there.

icon_smile.gif

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 5:33am
post #4 of 4

JoAnn, does the .25 to 1.00 count as the cost plus the time or only the time, because I already have factored in the actual cost of the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%