What Cake Book Do You Recommend????

Decorating By tiffy76620 Updated 4 Jul 2006 , 4:20am by lilscakes

tiffy76620 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffy76620 Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 2:27am
post #1 of 14

Hello!

I went to the book store today, and was looking at cake decorating books. I was in heaven.......was gone for three hours!!! LOL.......

I ended up buying The Well-Decorated Cake By Toba Garrett

What are some other good books to buy??? Thanks sooo much!!

13 replies
sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:10am
post #2 of 14

I LOVE the WHIMISCAL BAKEHOUSE book! By Kay and Liv Hansen.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:16am
post #3 of 14

I just got two wonderful books which were recommended here on CC. They are: Pretty Party cakes by Peggy Porschen and Spectacular Cakes by Mich Turner. I found the both at B&N. Love them.

cakedeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedeco Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:16am
post #4 of 14

I really like The Well Decorated Cake. I also have Colette's Cakes.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:20am
post #5 of 14

The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum is a must-have. Helps you understand the science that is baking. Also has some good recipes.

tiffy76620 Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:22am
post #6 of 14

Thank you for responding. I saw ALL those book at B & N, the only book I did not see was the Whimsal book.

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 3:59am
post #7 of 14

I agree with rezzycakes regarding Spectacular Cakes by Mich Turner as I recently made that purchase and B & N as well. Fabulous cakes!

tiffy76620 Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 8:59pm
post #8 of 14

I just bought the Whimsical Bakehouse book!!! Thanks for recommending it. I am making the bananna cake with chocolate buttercream for the 4th. Sounds YUMMY!!!!!

gakali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gakali Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 9:02pm
post #9 of 14

Anything by Debbie Brown or Carol Deacon!

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 9:09pm
post #10 of 14

I love anything by Colette Peters, but am taking some advice from y'all, and will look for some of these other books, too.

I buy too many books, LOL........ It's addictive!

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 1:35am
post #11 of 14

My 3 starter books are....Whimsical Bakehouse, Well Decorated Cake, and Sweet Celebrations by Sylvia Weinstock. I refer to them often and use the recipes. Next is the Cake Bible. Fortunately for me I can get many from the library here. Unfortunate for the library as I re-renew them often. When I realize I can't stand to return it to the library, I ask for the book as a gift for Christmas, Mothers day, etc.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 3 Jul 2006 , 9:32pm
post #12 of 14

I'm with a few others who have already said "The Cake Bible" by Rose Levy Berenbaum. It is a must have. I love Colette Peters' books to look at, but I can't imagine ever actually making any of those cakes! They're so beautiful and they are works of art! She makes them look easy, but I can't imagine that they're really very easy to make! icon_smile.gif

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 4:16am
post #13 of 14

I do like my newest book, Decorate With A Cake by Lindy Smith, too.

I have Sylvia Weinstock's book orderred from e-bay, sure wish it would hurry up and get here.......

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 4 Jul 2006 , 4:20am
post #14 of 14

I was going to recommend Toba Garrett's book, but you've already got it. I'm a big fan of hers; so far that's the only book I have, but I refer to it all the time. Outside of decorating books, I do have the CAke Dr. book. It's ok, but I don't refer to it nearly as often as I do Toba's. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%