First "real" Cake Order

Decorating By greenhorn Updated 2 Jul 2006 , 4:47pm by shelain22

greenhorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greenhorn Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 1:13am
post #1 of 15

I have my first official cake order from a non-family member. icon_biggrin.gif I have never charged for my cakes. The cake is a birthday cake, 8 in round, yellow and chocolate, each layer torted and filled with raspberry filling and stacked alternately ( yellow, raspberry, chocolate, raspberry, yellow, raspberry, chocolate). It will be BC with some flowers. I will be delivering as it is for someone in the building where I work. Is it reasonable to charge $30.00 or is that too much? icon_eek.gif

14 replies
Tiffysma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffysma Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 1:17am
post #2 of 15

Very reasonable and definitely NOT too much!! That's a lot of work all that torting and filling!

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 1:18am
post #3 of 15

In my opinion that is a reasonable price. Good luck. dont forget to post pics.

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 1:20am
post #4 of 15

I'm not sure what the local rate is for a cake like that. I would possibly call a local bakery and get some prices. The alternate flavors of cake and rasberry filling would of course be extra. How many does it serve?

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 1:40am
post #5 of 15

Congratulations on your first paid cake order! Price sounds reasonable to me.

greenhorn Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 1:43am
post #6 of 15

According to the serving suggestions, it should serve 20 using 2 inch pans. I checked with the local grocery stores and Walmart and they wouldn't do a cake like this. They suggested a bakery, but their prices are out-rageous...I'm not at their level!

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 1:53am
post #7 of 15

I would say its a good price. if your using a box mix someone here had suggested to get 12.00 per box you use. Thats what I do now and then 7.00 for the filling. If I am using fondant flowers or soemthign I charge more.
Hope that helps!
Congratulations on your first order!

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 2:00am
post #8 of 15

Awww....congrats!!!! It's a good feeling...huh?!? I remember my first order. I definately undercharged but still just to put yourself out there is great. I think $30 is alittle low but if you already told them you can't just go back and add on to the price. Hopefully you'll get some referals.

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 2:04am
post #9 of 15

That's a good sign that Walmart and grocery stores won't do your kind of (specialty) cake. It sounds like $30 is a more than fair price with all the extras. A general rule of thumb for pricing is 2 - 2 1/2 times your cost. There's a topic on this site. If this is for someone at your work, giving a good price together with the added convenience of them not having to make an extra trip, you could get some new business from it.

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 2:23am
post #10 of 15

Greenhorn: I'm in Ohio too & I would charge $30 for that cake also thumbs_up.gif

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 5:51am
post #11 of 15

hooray!!!!!!!!! congrats on the order! yes, be sure and post a pic. i too am trying to figure out what to charge for cakes.

Falenn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Falenn Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 6:39am
post #12 of 15

Congrats!! im still trying to figure out how much to charge for my cakes as well. it's so hard when it comes to relatives.

And your right walmart cake prices are outrageous. my aunt just bought one yesterday, 9x13 i believe...1 layer (no filling), airsprayed w/figurines....$27.00 plus tax. and honestly, it was not great at all.

greenhorn Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 12:48pm
post #13 of 15

Thanks for all the support! This place certainly builds confidence!
Cyndi--I haven't given her a price yet. She sampled one of my many "practice cakes " that I took in and said she wanted the same thing this coming Thursday and she would pay anything I asked. The greedy side of me wants to reach for the stars, but the practical side says be reasonable.

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 4:37pm
post #14 of 15

That is so exciting! Congratulations!! I think that your price for tha1 cake sounds quite reasonable.

shelain22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelain22 Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 4:47pm
post #15 of 15

I wasent decorating this year on my little boys b-day, but previously ordered from the same woman every year. Her cakes arent fancy at all but they were really good. We had his party with anouther little boy who was also turning 4 and I got 2 1/4 sheets, decorated seperatelly. Her price for 1/2 a sheet decorated, with one of those plastic non edible images was 20, I was surprised when she only charged 10 bucks apiece for the 1/4 sheets. I was thinking, well I would have paid more since they probably take more work to do 2....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%