Do You Have That One "competitor" In Your Family?

Decorating By Chef_Stef Updated 19 Jul 2006 , 9:38pm by malika

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 59

Ha. This is getting funny.

I decorate mostly wedding cakes and enjoy making money with this. I do the occasional party cake, and we have a very large extended family, but I don't do cakes for free and haven't donated more than a handful for family gatherings. What's funny is that when my MIL has a get-together (her husband's group plus ours is like 125 people, easily), there is another lady somewhere on that "other" side of the family who makes those cheesy neon-colored cakes and always wants to bring one. Well. A few months ago I did a very large cake for a large celebration (would have been a $465 cake if I'd charged for it) for cost of supplies only, because they're family. She also brought a (much smaller) cake. whatever.

Now they're having a 4th of July celeb, and MIL called to see what I want to bring, and I just said, "What do YOU want me to bring?" Thinking I'm not going to offer it (though I was dreaming of making a flag cake). She made a point to mention TWICE that "Well, there's going to be cake." So I'm glad I didn't say I'd love to bring a cake (duh). Then I hear that this other lady is also making a cake for DH's grandfather's birthday coming up (she not related to him in ANY way)...which is something I have done in the past but not every year.

Anyway, I think it's getting funny now. Every time there is a family gathering, I'll never offer to bring a cake again, because 1) I'd rather get paid for them, and 2) this woman obviously is jumping in trying to "beat me to the punch" or whatever. Too funny! She's never been paid for a cake I bet, and her work is chintzy at best. It is a bit annoying, too, though, because it's MY family, and they all love my cakes.

Anyone else have a story like this--that one family member or extended relative who keeps jumping in trying to be the "cake lady" in the family? She can have it. It's basically a bunch of red necks who'd never pay $100 for a cake, let alone $700, so I say, "knock yourself out, girl."

And I'm doing an awsome 4th cake for us to enjoy here at home, with fireworks on it etc., so I'll just tell them I already "had a big cake to do this weekend." I know, it's petty, but big families are like that. LOL

thanks for listening......

58 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 59

I don't have anyone like that, but my mom hates to let me bring food to the family functions. She knows I love to cook, esp to bake, and when I ask what I can bring, she tells me to bring a salad. All she wants is chopped up iceberg lettuce with tomatoes and carrots in there. Yuck. And BORING!!!! Drives me batty. She insists that since she is the oldest female the cooking rights belong to her, and nobody has the right to ursurp them. I'm supposed to wait until she dies. So she makes about 6 desserts every year for Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, whatever, and it is always the same stuff: pecan pie, pumpkin pie, custard pie, and chocolate cake. She positively has a coronary when I go all out with a decorated cake or some fancy dessert out of a fancy book....she always asks "Why can't you just buy a mix and a can of frosting and have done with it?" My sister is the only one who asks me to do cakes, which I have always done for free, since it's family. My husband swears mom's jealous.

mudder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mudder Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 59

Wow! With friends and family like these guys, who needs enemies!?! Take the higher road and know that you all do fabulous work!

Molliebird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molliebird Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 59

I have a sister just like that. I'm waiting for her to take cake decorating lessons now that I am decorating cakes just so that she can "do better", which quite honestly, never happens. I have always said that she cannot think for herself and I know I'm right.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 7:27pm
post #5 of 59

I can relate to both stories. My SIL took the Wilton classes when I did. We would ride togehter. The year my twin nephews turned nine, I told my mom I would do the cake IF she wanted me to. To help save her money. She said she would let me know. The night before the party; my SIL calls to say she was doing the cake,but I could help her if I wanted to. icon_mad.gif I said no thanks. You can do it all.
As far as cooking.
I have alays cooked dinner at the holidays for the past ten years. This past Thanksgiving my mom decided she wanted to host dinner. I said ok, thinking I would eat before I left my house. I ate a PB&J. When we got to her house she had everything ready. My husband and three daughters hrdly ate anything. When we left my husband went to find a McDonalds. My oldest said" Mom, how did you survive eating Nannie's food growing up?" I said" I learned to cook at an early age."
Sorry this is long.

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 59

Ah yes, I have a SIL who is like what you mentioned, always jumps to say she is going to make the cake for a special occaision! Her cakes are awful at best and look like they've all been run over and she just brags about them to everyone! She also makes it a point to call me, or stop me when she sees me to tell me that she is bringing the cake...like you say, knock yourself out girl!

karateka Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 59

I have to admit, I usually jump in and volunteer to bring the cake, even though I'm often rebuffed. Makes me wonder if I'm the one people talk about, saying "she always jumps in to bring the cake, and her work isn't all that...."

I'd like to believe the positive comments I get from people at work are the truth, and not just "sunshine up my skirt" so to speak.

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 8:22pm
post #8 of 59

I have a cousin who is highly competitive with me for some reason. Always has been. And, to make matters worse, it's like the whole family enjoys it. But then again, I've always known my family is a little out there with some things.

This cousin has to be 'first' with everything.....graduating from college, getting married, having children, etc. She will call around to see what I am bringing to get togethers, and then it never fails. Just by accident, she and I will bring the same thing. And then the whole family will have to 'compare' the two of our dishes, whether it be cake, dessert, or a main dish. I just get so sick of it.

Last time, I just showed up empty handed. Everyone complained, but I don't know if it was because they enjoyed my cooking/baking or if it was more they wanted to compare our stuff again.

Know that she knows I am taking cake decorating classes, I'm sure that is what I will be hearing the SHE is now doing also. Can't wait, it sure will make our family get togethers so much more enjoyable.

Sorry, had to vent. But glad I'm not the only one.

TheCakeSmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeSmith Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 8:29pm
post #9 of 59

fourangels, I can't believe that she calls you to find out what you're bringing!! I'd tell her one thing and bring another!

karateka Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 59

Me, too. Start messing with her mind.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 9:17pm
post #11 of 59

Hmm Thankfully my family isn't like this. All the woman (and a couple of guys) divide out all of the items depending on who is hosting it. Usually the host takes care of the Main dish and drinks, then the rest of us divide up desert/salads/sides/potatoes. Most of us have our "specialty" area, then we each pick something different for all the gatherings. So usually i bring some sort of desert, it is always the perfect time to try something new.

LOL my mom always brings the Jello and Deviled eggs (she was the oldest girl out of seven kids so she was always cooking growing up, now she has kinda gone the opposite direction-i think that is why i picked up cooking so young, I was tired of the same things-there are things she just won't eat or cook anymore b/c she had to so much growing up)

Leily

Chef_Stef Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 10:18pm
post #12 of 59

Haha! I am SO glad I'm not the only one with wierd inlaws. And what's worse, these aren't actually even MY inlaws (we don't consider them "family") because MIL remarried after DH's dad died, and her new husband's family are a bunch of (pardon me) hicks and drunks.

I let it make me a bit mad that they know I do cakes and yet still have this other gal jump in and bring her cheesy red neck versions, but then I have to remind myself, and like DH says, "You do better work than to have to donate a $500 cake to a redneck beer-drinking party. Only say yes to the really good things."...He is so right. icon_razz.gif He says the other gal just doesn't want me getting all the attention for my cakes. ...Like she gets any...I don't recall anyone asking who made her cake at the last get-together, though they all raved about mine.

But still...it's annoying to have MIL repeatedly say that there's going to be cake, when I didn't even ASK about it--As if she's trying to actually prevent me from even surprising them with one. Which is why I'll never offer to bring another one...Lord knows I don't want to "step on any toes" out there in the sticks! But what is with her taking grandpa a cake too?? I mean, he's my deceased FIL's father and not related to her at all! I should just stop by the store and buy some store-bought deli trays for this next gathering...just in case I run the risk of impressing anyone with my corn fricassee... icon_mad.gif

I hear you about the others doing the same thing--that one calling you up to see what you're bringing is amAzing...! I'd do the same and say one thing, then "oops, I changed my mind" and bring something even more dazzlingly delicious...lol--evil! I'm evil! tapedshut.gif

Well, this has been fun--It's always nice to know there are crazier rellies out there than ours, even if they aren't "really" our family. Thank goodness for that anyway...

At least I can take comfort in the fact that I do cakes for "actual customers" rather than having to rely on a whiskey-drinking, loud-mouthed, bar-brawling group for attention. Like that's the clientele I'd want anyway...NOT.

Like I said, knock yourself right out, girl. I'll be over here in the real world, making money. LOL tapedshut.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_cool.gificon_twisted.gificon_wink.gificon_cool.gificon_biggrin.gif

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 10:27pm
post #13 of 59

Being the the culprit lurks on this site tapedshut.gif and I dont want to start a family feud, I wont go into detail, but boy, oh boy, I feel your pain. icon_mad.gificon_evil.gif

tommyandholly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tommyandholly Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 10:30pm
post #14 of 59

Oh that makes me mad for you! I completely understand this, I have some one in my family that does this, and its my Uncle! He is always trying to bring the best food dish, because he knows that I love to bake and I'm pretty good at it, still learning the decorating, but the food tastes good. Anyway, he's always got to out do me to. I was mad and bitter about it for a bit, but then really it makes me kind of sad. These other people are just trying to compensate their lack of self esteem by cooking. And having everyone say how good it is, and I understand that, it makes one proud to know they cooked something good, but the competition thing is showing a deeper problem. So, I've kind of let it go, not doing the competition thing, and being the bigger person. I know my stuff tastes good, I've already proved that, so I'll just let him think we are in competition. icon_smile.gif

marcimang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcimang Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 10:34pm
post #15 of 59

I don't live near my family, but when I go home I will always try to be there for a birthday ( I have 17 neices and nephews) I will always offer to do the cake. MY mom, who decorated the local bakery in our town, never fails to order a cake from them even though she knows I like to make them. Its good to give them the business and you always make such a mess, her excuses. I started going to my sisters house and now I just say screw it- let them do what they want!!!
My nephew is getting married and I offered to do the cake. My mom couldn't wait to call me to tell me his fiance didn't want my cake she wanted a "real baker" to do it. Since I making cakes from home and getting paid I thought I was a real baker- guess not!!!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 10:41pm
post #16 of 59

This is a funny thread! I, too, would tell her I'm bringing one thing then "change my mind"... I don't think it's evil at all! icon_wink.gif I have a cousin-IN-LAW who does it to me with cakes. She always makes some comment about me making so many all the time. Methinks she's jealous. I don't have a competitive bone in my body - I just do my own thing. She tries to make cakes for her family functions, but she won't ask for help! One time, she wanted to make a two-tier stacked for an anniversary. She told me later the troubles she had - I couldn't believe she wouldn't call me for help - I don't live far away. She couldn't figure out how to support the top tier, so she cut out a big piece of the middle and stuck a can of something in there and plopped the 2nd tier on top! When they cut the cake, there was the can! icon_eek.gif

Chef_Stef Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 10:43pm
post #17 of 59

I'm with you on staying out of it and letting them think they won this round of, um, "competition"...

Whenever DH and I see someone like that going out of their way to try to be the best or get noticed at something that we usually do pretty well ourselves, we drop completely out of it. Like, "Um, we actually weren't playing, but...---YOU WIN" We always get a laugh out of it that way.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 10:47pm
post #18 of 59

I have a feeling the in-law stories are going to rule, here. LOL.

My sister-in-law brought a cake she made to my daughter's birthday party after she knew how hard I was working on my baby's first birthday cake. AND she complained that nobody ate it. HELLO???!!!! DON'T BRING CAKE TO A BIRTHDAY PARTY UNLESS IT'S THE BIRTHDAY CAKE!!!! I mean, sorry..there are a million other desserts out there.

Story #2
It's Easter. I'm hosting. Again, I let it be known that I'm making an Easter cake. I'm taking classes for crying out loud, let me make my cake. I made a giant version of the course II final cake. (Forgot to take a picture!!!) What does MIL do? Bakes a cake in that lamb pan, fully decorated, and also brings 3 other desserts. icon_mad.gif

And, last but not least...
My FIL's birthday was a few weeks ago and I offered to make his birthday cake (small gathering at the in-laws.) Just them and us with SIL and her kids. Not only does MIL commit the uber-sin of having a cake already...she produces a grocery store cake...WITH (not making this up) a cake that she made as well. I smiled at our buffet.
She decided to use mine. (Again, I didn't take a picture) Then to spite me, SIL decides she doesn't like fresh scratch cake with strawberry filling. Her son follows the lead and they just keep poking at the cake to lick off the frosting. icon_twisted.gif They do this between comments of, "I wish we had chocolate cake."

Ahhh, you have to love family.
This was incredibly therapeutic.
Angie

Edited for extremely poor grammar and spelling due to my uncontained gusto for the topic. LOL.

tommyandholly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tommyandholly Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 10:51pm
post #19 of 59

angelasbaby that is sooo funny, but maddening at the same time, I guess I'm laughing at the nerve of some people. Hey, at least you have some consellation that you don't share blood genes. icon_razz.gif

angelas2babies Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 11:00pm
post #20 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyandholly

angelasbaby that is sooo funny, but maddening at the same time, I guess I'm laughing at the nerve of some people. Hey, at least you have some consellation that you don't share blood genes. icon_razz.gif

That's the only thing that gets me through these events. icon_lol.gif

Chef_Stef Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 11:06pm
post #21 of 59

Oh, here's another one....

Recently DH got me a wedding cake to do for an employee of one of my BILs. Who has done ONE wedding cake in her life that I know of (for another SIL) about 8 years ago. And let me not even go INTO what a fiasco that was. The other SIL (who is actually really good at cakes but won't sell them) who helped her with it at 2 a.m. the morning of the wedding said that there were chunks of cake actually falling off as they were icing it, and it was a disaster. And her kitchen is, scary to say the least---there is an unspoken rule that no one eats her food, ever. ...

WELL. When DH told her I'm doing this cake for her employee and his fiance and that I was excited about it and wanting to starting doing cakes as a side business, she said, "Well, *I* do cakes..." icon_confused.gif Like why didn't the employee ask her to do it...? thumbsdown.gif

We just shrugged and said whatever, but I thought, well, I didn't know she was doing cakes... icon_eek.gif --this is the first I've heard of it! The cake turned out beautifully and was a huge hit. SIL was at the wedding, and I saw her as I was coming in to get my fountain picked up and she was leaving, and I asked how it turned out and how the cake was, etc. And she said, "It was nice, but I didn't have any. I know how good your cakes are, and I figured if I had one bite...." icon_eek.gif Thanks...I think.

When I told my OTHER SIL (I have 6--this was the one who helped the above with the long-ago wedding cake fiasco) that she'd told DH that she "does cakes", the other SIL went *SNORT* and had sort of a minor fit and looked like this -> icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif and said "She does WHAT?! She did ONE cake eight years ago and I helped her with the WHOLE THING, and it was a DISASTER!! She buys b-day cakes at the GROCERY STORE for cryin out loud." We both had a good laugh, but DH and I still giggle about it..."I do cakes." too funny.

karateka Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 11:13pm
post #22 of 59

Angie-

ROTFLMAO!!!

I'd swear this was my family!! I'm so glad this post was started, I was starting to believe my family was the only one like this....I come home from family gatherings and head straight for my liquor cabinet. icon_lol.gif

Chef_Stef Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 11:15pm
post #23 of 59

BWHAHAHAHAH

I should START there before I GO to the family gatherings...

ROFL!

angelas2babies Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 11:17pm
post #24 of 59

Each story has it's own charm, doesn't it? icon_smile.gif I'm glad I'm not alone, too. These stories are just so funny. You guys are the best.

Angie

meggylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggylou Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 11:19pm
post #25 of 59

I have been doing cakes for a while now, and my sister always raves about them. So when her son (a total fireman fanatic) was turning 3, I volunteered to do his cake. She said "No thanks, I found a great picture, and I have something really cool in mind". Ok, less work for me. For the next month, all I heard about was this fantastic cake she was making and how difficult it was going to be.
I go to the party and the cake is a Sara Lee pound cake covered in pink coolwhip with a black gum drop on the top to be the cab.
I had to bite my tongue for 2 hours when she kept telling all the guests how hard it was.
Then she comes to me and compares her cake to the 3 tier wedding cake I had just done last weekend.

That's family for ya!

angelas2babies Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 11:22pm
post #26 of 59

Meggylou,

It sounds like she's ready for a food network cake challenge to me. icon_cool.gif

Angie

Chef_Stef Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 11:26pm
post #27 of 59

Heh,

I keep thinking of more.

I have ANOTHER SIL who has eaten a zillion times at my house back in the day when I was all Martha Stewart and entertaining up the kazoo (BEFORE I quit because no one else will lift a FINGER in our fam), and she totally loves my cakes and knows that everyone loves my cakes. She has one kid, and every time it's a b-day or any type of get together at HER house, she totally always does a cake like the above. I mean, she knows I would totally love to do a b-day cake for her for free just because, but she goes out of her way to not even say anything about it, just does it herself.

Of course, maybe she actually enJOYS doing them...but she hates to cook and entertain. Their idea of serving you dinner is a single smokie on a plate... icon_confused.gif

tw1nkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tw1nkle Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 11:47pm
post #28 of 59

Oh, I so know where you ladies are coming from!

Every year I offer to make my brothers kids bday cakes and every year I get the no thank you - even though they Know I love to bake and am more than happy to make a cake for free! My SIL in a hopeless baker - doesn't stop her trying, and my brother is always complaining how they end up staying up to 3am the day of the party trying to get the cake finished.

Her cakes are always fine - but it irks me that I would LOVE the chance to help and make a beautiful cake for them

Well this year, my brother calls me and asks me to make a cake for his daughters 5th birthday - WHOA! I can hardly believe it - so I wait until the week of the birthday and I still haven't heard from my SIL about what my niece wants etc. FINALLY I call her the Wed before the Sat party and say - *brother* called me and asked me to do *niece* birthday cake I was wondering what she wanted? SIL says *well I'm not happy about it but I suppose I have to go with it now.....* icon_sad.gif

Good grief! You'd think I was torturing the woman....!

ARRRRRGGHHHHHH - anyway did great doll cake with wondermold, fairy wings, wand the whole nine yards. All the guests oooooo and aaaahhhhh then SIL's mother pipes up and says *SIL* you really outdid yourself this year.... Honestly I nearly choked....

Nevermind, gotta love your family

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 12:02am
post #29 of 59

if I may comment w/out getting flamed.

could it be some of these "others" insist on doing "the cake" despite your and mine abilities because....

they see it as an act of love from them to their children? mommy's (and some daddy's) special gift from the heart to the child?

edited because: isn't spelling just so much fun!?!? NOT!

marcimang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcimang Posted 2 Jul 2006 , 12:11am
post #30 of 59

good thought. I have several friends who are always interested in learning about decorating. I always offer to help with their cakes for the kiddies-its great fun for both of us and saves me money. I just tell them what to buy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%