Turtle Cake

Baking By libbyhunt Updated 24 May 2005 , 7:47pm by libbyhunt

libbyhunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
libbyhunt Posted 24 May 2005 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone ever made the Turtle Cake from the Cake Mix Doctor? If so, how was it and are there any tips/recommendations to making it since it isn't as straight forward as a typical cake?

Thanks,
Libby

5 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 24 May 2005 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 6

I don't have the CMD book but is that the one that has caramel and chocolate chips in it?

libbyhunt Posted 24 May 2005 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 6

yep - chocolate chips, caramels, and pecans. Just was checking to see if there were any tips to get the cake to make right with the filling in it and not have it drain all to the sides because the cake rose too much in the center.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 24 May 2005 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 6

The recipe I have, came from a co-worker and I'm not sure if she got it out of the CMD or not .. but I melt the caramels w/cream (seems like there was one other ingredient, but I'm not sure) .. I baked half of the cake batter (chocolate) for about 10-12 minutes (it's not done) .. then I poured the caramel mixture over the half baked cake... I didn't pour it to the edges .. then I layered with the chocolate chips then the pecans over the chocolate chips .. then I poured the remaining cake batter over the other part of the cake and returned to the oven to bake .. it's really a very yummy cake .. my daughter asks for it every year for her b-day icon_smile.gif

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 24 May 2005 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 6

These sound great!! I will have to give them a try!! Thanks for sharing. I just bought this book too. Just haven't used it yet.

Charlotte

libbyhunt Posted 24 May 2005 , 7:47pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks ntertayneme for your description. I am going to attempt tonight so that I have time to rebake for Friday if I goof it up. I think I am also going to try Ganache to cover it. Not sure if I'll use chocolate buttercream underneath the ganache or not. Any opinions?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%