Wedding Cake Order

Decorating By mjones17 Updated 26 May 2005 , 4:34am by traci

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 24 May 2005 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 7

I got my 1st Wedding Cake order. It is for family though so I told her she has to buy any stand, topper, or flowers she wants. I am going to give the cake as a gift to hubbys uncle not her...lol. Hubby is very close to his uncle he is uncle/brother/father figure. Anyways she wants a stacked cake (she hasn't specified shape yet but I have round and hexagon so one of those 2) it will need to serve 100 people. Not sure what size pans I should use. I need to find out if she is keeping the top layer. She wants a lemon (ewww) cake. Any suggestions would be great. I like to doctor my cakes. She wants buttercream frosting and the diamond design. I would like to buy not make the ball things to go where the lines intersect. If i use the same color can I use fake around the bottom edges of each cake or maybe I should pipe frosting? Suggestions would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks

6 replies
crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 25 May 2005 , 2:58am
post #2 of 7

I am afraid I am not any help but this will get your post back up on the list. So many people here have great ideas and information.

C

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 25 May 2005 , 3:15am
post #3 of 7

If you're using round, 6" 14 servings , 8" 25 servings, 9" 32 servings, 10" 39 servings, 12" 56 servings, 14" 77 servings ... these serving charts vary drastically .. just remember do not count the top tier in your servings.

You could use a larger round tip to make beads at the bottom of each tier.. you could use a smaller round tip to make the bead effect in the diamond pattern if you didn't want to make each one by hand to put on the cake.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 25 May 2005 , 3:16am
post #4 of 7

Earlene's chart is great for deciding which size pans to use. It even includes serving with (G) and without (F) the top tier.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

Here's a great lemon cake recipe (doctored mix from CMD)...
http://www.ladycakes.com/Recipes/Cakes/Susans%20Lemon%20Cake.htm

I think using fake or piped around the bottom would be fine as long it matched either the color of the cake or the pearls/beads/dragees? at the intersect.

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 25 May 2005 , 4:10am
post #5 of 7

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm

Should be helpful to you once you decide what size pans to use...this chart tells you approx how many cups of batter for the specific pan size and amount of icing.

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 25 May 2005 , 11:53am
post #6 of 7

Do any of you know how many cups of batter a doctored cake mix makes? The one with the 1 cup sour cream and a package of pudding. Oh, and is that recipe supposed to be really thick?

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 26 May 2005 , 4:34am
post #7 of 7

If you want to do a cake with 3 tiers, you might make a separate small tier for the bride's first aniversary. Stacked cakes are very heavy and that might make it easier to transport. Do not forget to have a sturdy base to support the weight of your cake. Good luck!
traci

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%