Spring Form Pan...

Decorating By Raisen Updated 30 Jun 2006 , 4:52pm by sectheatre

Raisen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raisen Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 12:31am
post #1 of 9

Hi,
Is there any reason I couldn't use my heart shaped spring form pan to cook my carrot cake? My reasoning is that after its done and I take the side off -the botton (with cake still on it) could serve as the cake board. Then I'd just place the whole thing on the doweled rectangle bottom cake.
That would work right? Seems like that would be much easier then putting the cake on a board after its cooked. But maybe I'm missing something...this will be my first "stacked" cake.

Thanks all!

8 replies
lilie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilie Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 12:44am
post #2 of 9

I don't see anything wrong with that if your serving the cake to family. If it's going to someone else, a board would be better!
Welcome to CC!

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 12:44am
post #3 of 9

Do you have Heart Shape pan that is not spring form ? typically spring form pans are for cheescakes or tortes.. If you really have to use a spring form pan, you can line your spring form w/ foil b4 you attach the side pc. (meaning the excess foil will be hanging outside at the buttom part NOT inside), so when you cake is all baked and cooled completely, remove the side then just slide the foil w/ the cake on it unto the board...this is what I do with my cheesecakes. icon_smile.gif.

dianagreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianagreen Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 12:48am
post #4 of 9

I have used the bottom as a board b4 - it works great, just make sure that you keep track of the bottom after the cake it gone. Goodluck

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 12:49am
post #5 of 9

I am in agreement here. Springform pans are mostly meant to be used with very thick batters, and cakes that are crusted -- cheesecakes with graham cracker crust, etc.

There is a good chance that your batter will leak out, especially during baking.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Raisen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raisen Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 1:13am
post #6 of 9

I guess I could buy a regular heart shaped pan...but I was thinking "why buy one if the spring form would work and it could serve as the cake board too.!! " Then I wouldnt have to worry about finding a board the right size or risk cake damage by tranfering it TO a board-cuz its already on one!!
Maybe I'm being too frugal...It is for family. So I may go ahead and use it.
THanks for your help-
One last question... I thought I'd ice the heart /carrot cake in Cream Cheese icing and the bottom /yellow cake in BC. But my concern is that there would be too much of a color difference between the two icings...? Is it common to use 2 different icings on stacked cakes? Any words of wisdom welcome. THanks again

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 1:16am
post #7 of 9

Yes, you can use two different icings. I recently attended a seminar where the famous cake designer served the cake he designed in the workshop to us. It had 5 thin layers in it, 5 chocolate genoise, 2 vanilla genoise, with alternating chocolate and vanilla buttercream between the layers.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 1:28am
post #8 of 9

raisen: I bake all my cakes & cheesecakes in the springform...I have no problem with them at all. My batter isn't real thick but its not on the thinner side either & I have no problem with it leaking. I would say go ahead & try it.

sectheatre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sectheatre Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 4:52pm
post #9 of 9

I've baked a regular cake in my heart shaped springform too-no issues!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%