Sponge Cake

Decorating By Jenn123 Updated 23 Mar 2016 , 1:08am by Debbie-h

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 12:24am
post #1 of 4

A bride sent me a picture of a fondant cake with painted silver accents all over it. She says she wants it done in moist sponge cake and whipped cream. Is this even possible? I told her that I couldn't do this because the sponge cake wouldn't stack well and I couldn't decorate the whipped cream this way. Not to mention South GA heat in August would kill the whipped cream. Has anyone stacked sponge cake???

Am I crazy or is she? icon_rolleyes.gif

3 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 12:58am
post #2 of 4

Maybe she meant a Genoise sponge cake? It's firmer than the sponge cake we're used to. It's used a lot in wedding cakes. As far as the whipped cream, I wouldn't want to use that in the heat here either...especially not under fondant (or was she wanting you to lose the fondant all together?).

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 1:06am
post #3 of 4

I agree with Lisa. Use a genoise, which is a variation of a sponge cake. You may have to brush it with simple syrup or genoise, depending on what type of icing you are using.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Debbie-h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie-h Posted 23 Mar 2016 , 1:08am
post #4 of 4

I know this thread is old but wanted to share my experience as well.

I always make sponge cakes.  And stack them .  The problem is not whither staking its with carving details.  And when staking heavy layers.  I do them up to 2 inch each layer I was able to stack as much as 3 layers with no problem. And cover with fondant.  But I always used ganache for the icing I make it thicker than filing underneath the fondant.  .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%