Whimsical

Decorating By alliebear Updated 24 May 2007 , 1:53pm by Adrienne0317

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 24 May 2007 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 9

i decided that i needed a bit of a challange so i am ready to get started on making my first whimsical topsy turvey cake.... i have read the article and have a pretty good understanding of what to do.... my question is are there any things i shoud be aware of or any trick ors tips you guys can give??
would appreciated it alot

thanks
allie

8 replies
bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 24 May 2007 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 9

Yep! Look at my photos. First and ONLY topsy turvy cake! LOL THIS is what happens if you don't roll your fondant out thin enough! Squashed my cake a FULL 2 inches! I'm not kidding! LOL

Good luck! It IS really fun to make one of these and maybe after I get past the trauma of the first one....I'll do another!

Beth in KY

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 24 May 2007 , 12:54pm
post #3 of 9

leave enough difference between the sizes of the tiers. I find it a bit difficult to do a 6"/9"/12" cake, but SO much easier if you make them 4" different....like a 6"/10"/14". (I carve & sink my tiers, so I need a good 2" border.)

I'd also ice in buttercream rather than fondant. I can get sharper corners and crazier angles with the IMBC and just doing fondant detailing.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 24 May 2007 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 9

I totally agree with Antonia! I wish I had more of a difference in my tiers-I was nervous the "ledge" would fall off when I carved mine. ALSO, I know if you're doing it the same as BKeith, be prepared to have a lot more cake scraps than you think. You will either do this VERY carefully and have a FULL CAKE to decorate, or make about a ton of cake balls! I only had a 2" difference on mine and there's no way I would have been able to cover with fondant without destroying it. The tutorial is VERY easy though and the instructions are terrific! Good luck!

Helen-your Alice in Wonderland is the most incredible Whimsical cake ever-I absolutely love the Cheshire cat!!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

I'd also ice in buttercream rather than fondant. I can get sharper corners and crazier angles with the IMBC and just doing fondant detailing.

AMEN! LOL However, I am BETTER at fondant now than when I did my cake! AHHH, how we improve with age! ....and PRACTICE!

Antonia: Your cakes are fabulous by the way!

Beth in KY

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:03pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for posting that questions. I want to learn more.

Wow you guys's cakes are great.

Good Luck

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 9

wow those are fantastic... i can't wait to get started on mine ... i followed the tutorial to get an idea of what i was getting myself into but i might have to tweak it a bit and make it easier for me i am still pretty new to making cakes and i do love working with fondant but now that i have mastered that maybe i should use this cake as an opportunity to work with bc.... any suggestions for a recipe that doesnt have to much chrisco... not a fan of the greasyness of it but i do use it

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 9

Try Italian Meringue Buttercream (check Marthastewart.com for an easy recipe) or Swiss Meringue Buttercream. They are both reallly, really tasty!! Once you get used to making them, you'll never go back. icon_smile.gif

...and thanks, eveyone! I really LOVE doing them now. icon_biggrin.gif

Adrienne0317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adrienne0317 Posted 24 May 2007 , 1:53pm
post #9 of 9

I was just thinking of asking for this advice, thank you for the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%