Royal Icing Question

Decorating By Delartful Updated 25 May 2007 , 7:30am by Delartful

Delartful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delartful Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:39am
post #1 of 6

Hi Everyone,

I want to make some cupcakes with royal icing piped flowers. I am hoping to be able to ice the cupcakes in a soft icing - not buttercream but similar I guess.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if this will be a problem? I know that fat can interact with royal icing. I've never mixed the two before. I don't want to make buttercream roses.

Thanks!
Danni - Australia.

5 replies
Sunny77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunny77 Posted 24 May 2007 , 4:55am
post #2 of 6

I have never had a problem mixing before.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 24 May 2007 , 5:29am
post #3 of 6

If you're worried, I would wait to put the RI flowers on the cupcakes until shortly before serving. I've had more of a problem with moisture that grease, at least when the flowers were on the cake less than half a day or so.

I'm assuming you are planning to dry the flowers and then put them on the cupcakes, right?

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 24 May 2007 , 5:36am
post #4 of 6

I've put royal flowers on bc before and they were fine. Never had a problem. I let them dry very good before doing so and it was great.

weberm05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weberm05 Posted 24 May 2007 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 6

I put dried royal flowers on a mother's day cake around the bottom. They were attached to the border.

It took about 2-3 days before they became as soft as the buttercream. I wouldn't say they melted into the icing...just noone would have known they were RI flowers.

Delartful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delartful Posted 25 May 2007 , 7:30am
post #6 of 6

Ahhh thanks ladies!!!!! Good to know. I think I'll be fine then. I'm going to go with ganache now tho I think - YUM lol

Danni

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%