Embossing Fondant

Decorating By PennySue Updated 29 Jun 2006 , 12:16am by PennySue

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 11

Maybe some of you know this already but for those who don't, I thought I'd share something I learned about embossing fondant.

I had been confused about how to secure the embossed fondant on my cake without flattening out the pattern. If you use a soft piece of foam (I used the pink cell foam from Wilton) and gently pat the fondant, it will adhere to the bcf underneath and not mess up the imprint. Here is a pic of my first try. Hope this is helpful to someone!
LL

10 replies
Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 11

That's gorgeous! How did you make the fondant? Did you use MMF?

PennySue Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 11

No, I use either SatinIce or Pettinice rolled fondant. Both taste sooooo good!

dianagreen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianagreen Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 11

it would be wonderful if you could tell step by step what and how you did it, your cake looks so awesome i would love to know how to do it. Thanks Diana

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 11

Me too! Me too!

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 11

Me Three!!!!

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 11

Me Four! Please- Please- Please!!!! That is really pretty!

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 11

me five!!!!!

THESUGARCOW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THESUGARCOW Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 11

well really nice but i got confused myself ??????
what it is the satinice fondant and the other one you mentioned?
sorry im new so ....dont know too much......... icon_confused.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 12:04am
post #10 of 11

Thank you for the tip on patting down the embossed fondant. I had that problem the first time I worked with embossed fondant, especially at the square edges of the cake I did.

This will be a big help, as my best friend asked me to replicate the aforementioned cake for her twins graduation party Saturday.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

PennySue Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 12:16am
post #11 of 11

Pretty simple. I crumb coated and frosted my cake as usual. Rolled the fondant fairly thick, about 1/4 in. Then I used an embossing roller, this one is called Whimsy Hearts at this site. http://www.caljavaonline.com/rollingpin1-whimsyhearts-lg.htm Sugarcraft.com also has embossed rollers but they seem to be back ordered quite a bit.

I then rolled the pin over the fondant using pretty firm pressure to be sure to get the imprint. After I was happy with the embossing I put it on the cake and did my best to get the edges down. I then used the pink foam to gently press the top and the sides until I felt that it was adhered. The rest is done as usual.

I'm not sure if there is much difference between the two fondants I use. The Pettinice is a fondant that I can get at a local cake decorating shop near me. The Satin Ice was one that I had ordered online. Both taste great!

Hope this helps!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%