What Cuts The Grease In All Crisco Bc?

Decorating By parismom Updated 29 Jun 2006 , 11:54pm by SarahJane

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 14

I know this has been posted somewhere and I have been looking and cannot find it. I usually make BC with butter - but the butter smell gets me sick. I think if I tried it with shortening I wouldn't get sick... What was the ingredient to use that cuts that greasy taste in your mouth from that type of BC? Was it lemon? I totally forgot..

13 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 14

sorry - not sure. you can use hi-ratio shortening or Sweet-tex in place of Crisco.

Deb

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 14

Try using a little bit of Coffeemate Creamer- the powder kind-.......I've done that before and it helped. icon_biggrin.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 14

I recently did an all-crisco BC from on here, the White as Snow recipe, and I liked it enough, and my kids tasted it and loved it (they would...) I detest crisco and won't feed it to my family, but a recent bride insisted on white, and the cake had to sit outside uncovered, so I went ahead. I tried the Snow White BC too. Try a half batch of both and see which one you prefer. I used less almond flavor in both, because I don't like almond, so I substituted extra butter flavor. One has lemon juice, one doesn't; both use meringue powder in different ways. Experiment and see...

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 14

I use the snow white buttercream from this site, I use 1 teaspoon almond and 1 teaspoon clear vanilla and 3/4 teaspoon popcorn salt. (I think it is the salt that helps) Make sure you get the UNFLAVORED popcorn salt - it is very fine grained and works perfectly. This recipe is my regular recipe and gets rave reviews, everyone loves it.

melliemelo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melliemelo Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 14

There is a product called Brite White that cuts the greasiness. It's some sort of icing base. Most cake supply stores carry it I think.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 14

I use all crisco in my buttercream because of the weather here and I don't get that greasy texture at all. The trick I think is to beat the shortening with the vanilla and water really well so that it really poofs up and gets a lot of air added. Then I add in the powder sugar and I don't think it feel/tastes greasy at all.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 1:28pm
post #8 of 14

I also use all shortning in my BC. No greasy taste! I think it might have to do with how long you mix it. I mix a full two minutes on #8 on my kitchenaid.

butterflyjuju Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflyjuju Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 14

I was told when I first started decorating to cream the shortening with the flavoring for 15 minutes using my Kitchenaid before adding the powdered sugar then mix just well enough to incorporate.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 5:09pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflyjuju

cream the shortening with the flavoring for 15 minutes

Holy cow! That's a long time! Is that how you actually do it? Or is that just what you were told to do?

butterflyjuju Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 5:53pm
post #11 of 14

That's how I actually do it. Never have had a complaint about greasy frosting except the one time I forgot to mix it that long.

cakesbykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykitty Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 7:29pm
post #12 of 14

don't you get air bubbles if you mix that long?

butterflyjuju Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 9:17pm
post #13 of 14

Never had a problem with it. I'm only mixing the shortening and flavoring. I don't mix the powdered sugar in it that long.

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 11:54pm
post #14 of 14

I probably mix mine about 5 or six minutes, maybe 10 tops, but this is before you add the powdered sugar, once you add the sugar you only mix long enough to incorporate the sugar and I haven't had any problems with airbubbles. I've never had anyone complain about my icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%