Ribbon On Cakes

Decorating By Muse Updated 24 May 2005 , 4:16am by tcturtleshell

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 23 May 2005 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 7

How do you secure a ribbon around the base of the cake? Icing? Straight pins? Super glue?

6 replies
montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 23 May 2005 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 7

I haven't tried this myself but I thought somewhere on here people said they used royal icing because it dried hard. I wouldn't use pins because it would be easy to lose them in the cake, and superglue is toxic (I'm pretty sure). Someone else out there will know more than me, hopefully someone else will respond too.
Kate

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 23 May 2005 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 7

That's a good idea. Thank you for that!

Incidentally, I was kidding with the pins and glue.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 23 May 2005 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 7

Using ribbon on a cake depends on the icing you use also, I'd think.. if using buttercream, unless it were a special type of ribbon, it would absorb the grease from the icing .. not sure about fondant and ribbon use ..

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 23 May 2005 , 6:40pm
post #5 of 7

I kinda thought so icon_redface.gif but you never can tell, sorry

eve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eve Posted 23 May 2005 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 7

If it won't be eaten, which is part of the base, anything should be ok, even Hot Glue...as long as it won't touch the cake, which is around the wood base or thick styrofoam. I make Ribbons out of Fondant and I use toothpick or skewers to attach them to the cake.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 24 May 2005 , 4:16am
post #7 of 7

When I use ribbon on a cake I use BCI or piping gel. You always connect the two ends of the ribbon in the back of the cake where noone will see it. Put BCI or piping gel directly on the ribbon & hold the two ends together for a few seconds. It works great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%