Another Reason To Hate Fondant?

Decorating By oohlalacakes Updated 29 Jun 2006 , 2:10am by SweetThistleCakes

oohlalacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oohlalacakes Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 21

I'm one of those people that shies away from fondant. I love the effect you can get from it and I don't mind working with it. I don't particularly like the way it tastes, I've tried MMF and Satinice, I think it ruins the overall flavor of the BC I use. Also, the first wedding cake I made was covered in it and I was there to serve it. It just became a gloppy mess when I tried to cut pieces of the cake. I finally ended up ripping the whole sheet of it off the cake (which took most of the BC with it).

So for those of you that love fondant, tell me what you think of my complaints. The room was quite warm where the wedding cake was, so it got kind of sticky (I did use a warm knife, cleaned off between slices). But what's the answer? I'd like to use fondant more because I like how it looks, but I just think it ruins the cake. Thanks!

usaribbon.gif Samantha

20 replies
Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 21

There are a million posts on this topic, so make sure you do a search to find more responses, but in the end, it all boils down to personal taste, there is no right or wrong answer, or one answer.

Brides love it and request it, so the cake designer should be familiar with it and its applications.

Many here I think like it because they can create fanciful creations and it is a lot easier (maybe) at times than piping extravagant lines, lace-work, exact borders, etc.

Taste, again a personal thing, but personally, it will never stack up against a buttercream cake, a real buttercream like IMB, SMB's.

So, sometimes it boils down to sacrificing taste for looks or vice versa.

Here is another post on it;
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-26595.html

oohlalacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oohlalacakes Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 21

My main concern is mostly the cutting, it just seems to make a complete mess when I try to get the uniform, neat pieces cut. Last time, I thought I was being all professional with the bowl of hot water and a towel to wipe the knife off, but it still ended up being a mess.

newcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakelady Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 21

Don't alot of people take it off before cutting the cake? I saw that on a show about the Disney weddings.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 21

Rodnyck,
Thank you... as what you said, it's a personal choice. No right or wrong answer.. icon_cool.gif

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 4:54pm
post #6 of 21

I always make sure to use a good sharp knife with a sharp POINT at the tip...this way I can dig that sharp poin tinto the fondant first, and then slice through it carefully...using the tip of the knife more than the actual blade. Hope this helps a little!

gidgetsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetsmom Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 4:59pm
post #7 of 21

I caught the tail end of a Disney wedding show where they did say they took off the fondant before serving the cake. I'd be interested to know how they do that without taking the buttercream off. Of course at a Disney wedding I'd bet after the ceremonial cutting they remove the cake to "disrobe" and dismantle it for serving. Sure would be fun to know!

I've never had too much trouble cutting fondant - but I've never had a warm room situation either.

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 5:06pm
post #8 of 21

I dont like the taste and I dont like working with it. I've recentely tried MMF and I wasnt particularly impressed with the taste.

Just my $0.02

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 5:48pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcakelady

Don't alot of people take it off before cutting the cake? I saw that on a show about the Disney weddings.

They did that because it was embossed with non edible silver I believe.

gabbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbs Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 6:04pm
post #10 of 21

i read about people takin off fondant, and disliking the taste, and i can't believe, all of the people i know and also my customers love fondant, and i think it is much easier to work with, and it has a 100% better look than buttercream, but i think it also is a personal opinion, eat it if u like it take it off i u don;t like it

prettycake Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 6:06pm
post #11 of 21

[quote="puppyloveconfections"]I dont like the taste and I dont like working with it. I've recentely tried MMF and I wasnt particularly impressed with the taste.

Puppyloveconfections,
I'm just curious, have you been working with Marshmallow fondant for awhile ? or was this the first time ? Because it takes practice before you can perfect it. Personally, i would try something and do it a few more times before I decide it's not what I would want to do.

About the non edible Silver Dust, I am shocked why they would even use non edible since you can use Silver Lustre Dust. Not that they didn't have a choice. Oh well !!! icon_smile.gif

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 6:06pm
post #12 of 21

I like the taste and also the texture.... I just try not to make it too thick.

I also add the almond extract to ehance the flavor. I haven't had problems cutting into it... I live in Florida and humidity here is a killer but I haven't had a fondant cake outdoors yet.

moydear77 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 6:15pm
post #13 of 21

[quote="prettycake"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyloveconfections

I dont like the taste
About the non edible Silver Dust, I am shocked why they would even use non edible since you can use Silver Lustre Dust. Not that they didn't have a choice. Oh well !!! icon_smile.gif

The reality of it is that luster dust from what I understand is not FDA approved. It is non toxic but on the level of non edible because it is not approved. Yet we all use it anyway!

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 6:21pm
post #14 of 21

There are some luster and petal dusts that are FDA approved. I must say that FDA approval is questionable IMO, look at some of the stuff they do approve icon_eek.gif.

About the fondant, I am learning to use it and I like it. I am concerned about the flavor and texture when covering a cake with it. Personally, I don't mind the taste too much when I have done MMf mixed with choc paste. Chocopan is okay too. Most people in this country dislike the texture it seems. I agree there is no right answer. If it works for you, clients like it and are willing to pay for it, great! If not, then don't worry about it. Many decorators, even big names, just don't use it.

prettycake Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 6:22pm
post #15 of 21

Since Colette Peters (one of them) uses a LOT of Lustre Dust, does that mean she is putting everyone (who eats her cake) at risk ? Kerry Vincent and Marina Souza are also another one that uses a lot of Lustre Dust. icon_smile.gif

As for myself, I will keep using it. FDA approved or not.. I think FDA has bigger fish to fry. icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

moydear77 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 6:31pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettycake

Since Colette Peters (one of them) uses a LOT of Lustre Dust, does that mean she is putting everyone (who eats her cake) at risk ? Kerry Vincent and Marina Souza are also another one that uses a lot of Lustre Dust. icon_smile.gif

As for myself, I will keep using it. FDA approved or not.. I think FDA has bigger fish to fry. icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

I will still use it also and all the luster dust I use is non toxic but not FDA approved. Where do you find FDA Approved luster dust? I email Kerry regularly and so I wll ask her what she thinks.
I have seen two different Disney Fairytale episodes. on one they embossed the whole cake with silver. If you watch them cutting any cake except for the mad hatter cake they remove the fondant. Who knows?

I only mentioned Luster it because in regards that it might be a food safety issue and possible problem with heallth regulation. Anyway.

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 7:02pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettycake

LOL...that is the old argument, if someone else is doing it, it must be ok. Mind you, they do a lot of "display" cakes, made for photography, show pieces and the like. How many of their luster dust creations are really for eating?

I don't trust the FDA either, but it is at least in some form a check and balance. I could site numerous drugs that are passed by them that have proven to be harmful and taken off the market. You see this all the time. They are also political panderers, so I view whatever they claim as safe with questionable judgment.

I need to research luster dust more before commenting further, but an interesting topic nonetheless.

Lenette Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 7:53pm
post #18 of 21

I believe there are FDA approved lusters etc on chefrubber.com. If that's not the correct site I'll post a correction. icon_smile.gif

Lenette Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 7:56pm
post #19 of 21

Correction, chef rubber has FDA compliant pearl dust, my apologies. I know sugarcraft has the FDA approved petal dusts. Now to find luster...

moydear77 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 7:58pm
post #20 of 21

I love the chef rubber site but hardly look at the dust. Thanks for the info.

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 2:10am
post #21 of 21

[quote="prettycake"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyloveconfections

I dont like the taste and I dont like working with it. I've recentely tried MMF and I wasnt particularly impressed with the taste.

Puppyloveconfections,
I'm just curious, have you been working with Marshmallow fondant for awhile ? or was this the first time ? Because it takes practice before you can perfect it. Personally, i would try something and do it a few more times before I decide it's not what I would want to do.

I've worked with fondant for about a year now. The MMF is easier and better tasting, but I just don't care for it. I'll use it if it is requested but I wont bend over backwards to suggest it. I'd go with a crusting BC anyday and get almost the same results as far a smoothness and better taste. Again, just my $0.02

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%