Help Please...fbct Or Ct

Decorating By ryansmom319 Updated 3 Jun 2007 , 12:22am by tcturtleshell

ryansmom319 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ryansmom319 Posted 23 May 2007 , 11:23am
post #1 of 12

Hello, I mostly lurk and I must say you all are quite the inspiration! I am going to tackle my Brothers Grad cake at the end of June. The weather tends to be pretty humid at that time of year. This will be my first time attempting a cake with either transfer. I have been reading tutorials and posts and I have been practicing both the FBCT and CT and like the look of the CT better. My question is which will hold up better in the heat and humidity?? Also in case I actually get it right while practicing, can either be frozen for a period of time before use or is it better to do the day of?? I guess Im worried about condensation. I have attached ( I hope) a photo of my first attempt of both the FBCT (Royal blue) and the CT (Navy Blue) Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif
LL
LL

11 replies
Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 29 May 2007 , 5:05am
post #2 of 12

They would probably work fine. If you decide to do the FBCT, why don't you keep the cake in the fridge after you decorate it with the fbct. That should keep for a while.

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 29 May 2007 , 7:23am
post #3 of 12

They both look great!! Not sure about the freezing or humidity, but this is a bump for you.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 29 May 2007 , 7:36am
post #4 of 12

They both look great.

A FBCT can stay in the freezer for at least a couple of days. I would keep the chocolate transfer at cool room temperature, and definitely wouldn't freeze it. What types of temperatures are you talking about? If you use a 50/50 shortening/butter BC, I think it should be fine at most temperatures. The CT would, I think, be a little more sensitive, but if you use confectioner's coating (candy melts), rather than real chocolate, it should be good up to 90 or higher.

With regards to condensation, keep the transfer/cake covered until the cake comes to room temperature, and then most of the condensation will form on the outside of the cover. (Don't open the cover and recover, though, or you can get "rain" inside the container.

ryansmom319 Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 12:38pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks for the tips! Im in upstate NY and the end of june tends to be in the upper 80s-90s with aweful humidity! I guess Im going to wing it! I have 2 little nes so I was looking for the most "fool-proof" wa of doing things.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 12

Speaking from HUMID KY...I think I'd go with the chocolate transfer if you are afraid of humidity. I like the look of the CT's better too. BOTH your transfers look GREAT so, I'd say either if humidity wasn't a factor.

Beth in KY

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 12:50pm
post #7 of 12

I would do the FBCT because it'll freeze better and you don't have to remove it to cut the cake.

lbutrum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbutrum Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 12

I tend to agree with Bethola (I'm in the most southern tip of IN so our weather is exactly the same HOT and Wearable!!)
I also like the look of the CT--maybe it's just b/c I like the navy color better!
Good luck!!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 3:53pm
post #9 of 12

They both look great! Nice work~

ryansmom319 Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 7:10pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks. I kind of like the CT myself but his school colors are royal blue & white. Ive never colored chocolate before, and have yet to find royal blue melts. On the other hand I cant seem to get the FBCT as smooth as I want. Maybe my buttercream is too thick??

bpshirley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bpshirley Posted 2 Jun 2007 , 8:22pm
post #11 of 12

If you color chocolate, just be sure to use candy color. The other food colorings can cause chocolate to seize. BTW, I think they both look great too!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 12:22am
post #12 of 12

I know what you mean, I've not seen navy blue either. Darn! Why do you think your BCI is too thick? What are your problems & let us help icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%