Gluten Free Cake

Baking By LittleLinda Updated 1 Jul 2006 , 4:16pm by LittleLinda

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 19

Does anybody have a recipe for a gluten free cake? Do you know if gluten free flour can be bought at a regular grocery store?

18 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 19

I don't have a gluten free recipe, but I just bought a gluten free mix for my cousin's birthday tomorrow. It uses rice flour. It was in a larger grocery store in the health food section. I haven't tried it yet, so I'm not sure how it bakes or more importantly, how it tastes!

LittleLinda Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 19

Ooooh, beachcakes, a MIX! That's even easier! I'll look in the health food part of my local store! Thanks!
The buttercream frosting is OK? I don't really know what gluten is! I just know I have a friend who is alergic!

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 19

Not an expert, but I think gluten is a protein in wheat, rye, barley and oat products. A friend of my aunts was even saying that certain types of vinegar are wheat based, so be careful. You might do an online search and see what you can find under gluten free recipes. icon_lol.gif

Editing to add that a regular buttercream recipe should be gluten free. Can't think of any ingredient that you'd use that would be a problem. Someone do correct me if I'm wrong. icon_rolleyes.gif Just don't add flour like some do.

psm89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psm89 Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 19

some flavorings also have gluten in them. You have to be really careful, you'd be SURPRISED at the things we use that do. It is really easy to miss them if you don't know what youre looking for. Anything that has modified food starch can have wheat gluten in them also. To be safe you really need to call the companies and confirm they are gluten free. I also cannot have gluten.

LittleLinda Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 12:40am
post #6 of 19

psm89, welcome to cake central!
Is this an alergy you developed or always had? So, you make cakes but can't eat them?
Is gluten an ingredient found on ingredient lists of products?

psm89 Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 19

HI, Hope I can help u out a bit. I found out about 3 years ago I had Celiac. I struggled for about 3 years before that not knowing what was wrong. Some Dr.'s said lupus others suspected the start of M.S. since auto immune diseases are very prevelent in my family. As far as we can tell I developed it after a miscarriage. I carried the gene and it usually takes some kind of health crisis to activate it.
If I followed all the "Rules" of celiac I should have nothing to do with any types of wheat or grains. As just handling them has been known to cause symptoms. I try to be very careful when I make cakes, washing hands and counters down, not using my utensils for wheat products and such. It's a pain but I enjoy making cakes so much I don't think I could give it up.
I definately don't eat them!
With the new laws that have been passed most food makers will have to list anytime they have wheat in them or even if they come in contact with equipment that has been used for wheat. This could take a while though and until then we have to watch for tons of additives that "hide" wheat. (like modified food starch and lots of vinegars and even "natural" flavors)

Any way I guess that tells you how much I love making cakes.And PM me if I can ever help out with yor friend.

LittleLinda Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 19

PSM89: OK! Thanks! Your story is interesting!

So to check if something has gluten in it, I must look on ingredient labels for wheat, modified food starch, and natural flavors. And avoid vinegar?

Beachcakes ... did you have a piece of the cake you made for your cousin? How was it? Honestly.

beachcakes Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 4:02am
post #9 of 19

Hi Linda. I just baked it tonight and haven't given it to her yet. I hope she likes it, but I'm not sure I'll use it again. It was very, very soft and broke apart easily. I couldn't get it off the cooling rack. That could be because I substituted 2T water, 1T oil & 2 t baking powder for each egg (she's also dairy-free), but I'm not sure if it was the mix or the egg substitution. It also kind of fell in the middle after it came out of the pan and it was completely cooked. I had to put a big dollop of icing on the top to even it out. It smelled like cake after it was baked (the batter smelled like rice baby food icon_sad.gif ). Sorry, this is probably too much info for you LOL! I covered it in fondant, so I hope it can hold up the weight. I'll let you know tomorrow night how she liked it. If she can't have wheat, there aren't too many cake options out there!

cmmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmmom Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 4:18am
post #10 of 19

I made a gluten free cake from a cake mix - very pricey though (I think the mix cost $7). Anyhow, I had leftover batter and made cupcakes. YUCK, I didn't like it at all. The client like it though, she ordered another cake from me.

Ksue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ksue Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 4:39am
post #11 of 19

As I recall from the olden days when my girls were little and I decided we all needed to go off wheat for a while ... any pasta/bread/cake/cookie made with rice flour was yucky-tasting. It fell apart in your mouth like a piece of gum you'd chewed for 7 days straight.

Gluten is what gives elasticity to baked goods. Without that elasticity, the end product just literally falls apart in your mouth when you chew it, 'cause there's nothing to chew. Nothing holds together without that elastic 'gluten-gum.' Not a pleasant mouth-feel when you're not used to it.

My heart goes out to any of you with celiac disease. But I know when your life literally depends on it, you can darn well get yourself used to gluten-free products of all kinds. More power to you all. I just wish the gluten-free products didn't cost 7-10 times more than those containing the stuff.

LittleLinda Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 11:40am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksue

Gluten is what gives elasticity to baked goods.

Oh! That's interesting!

Ksue: Wow $7 for a cake mix! My friend offered to buy me some gluten-free flour so I could make cake from scratch. As of yet, nobody on CC has a recipe!

Beachcakes: Your poor cousin! Allergic to gluten AND dairy!

beachcakes Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 1:56pm
post #13 of 19

Ok Linda, I'm on a mission now... I googled gluten free cake and came up with a few scratch recipes for you. These two got five stars:

http://cake.allrecipes.com/az/GlutenFreeYellowCake.asp

http://cake.allrecipes.com/az/FlrlssChcltCkII.asp

And this site has a ton of them...

http://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=53

I notice alot of the recipes have xantham gum. I'm not sure what that is.

psm89 Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 2:06pm
post #14 of 19

Hi Linda,

Yes if your carefully with the ingrediants listed you shold be ok.

You can get Xantham gum at health food stores and it helps add elasticity and structure to the cake. You definately don't want to leave it out.

LittleLinda Posted 29 Jun 2006 , 6:51pm
post #15 of 19

Beachcakes: Mission well done! I printed out a yellow, white, & chocolate.

Psm89: Thanks for clarifying what Xantham gum is and where to get it.

beachcakes Posted 30 Jun 2006 , 1:43pm
post #16 of 19

Just an update - my cousin LOVED the cake. She said it tasted great. I haven't tried it though.

LittleLinda Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 3:41pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

my cousin LOVED the cake. She said it tasted great.

Wonderful! To those like your cousin who can't have cakes; it would probably taste great. To us cake conusors, I wonder how we would like it. But it's not for us, is it! Do you still have the box? If so, could you send the brand? I still haven't looked in my grocery store; but in case there's more than one choice; I'd just assume get the one you got.

beachcakes Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 3:49pm
post #18 of 19

Sorry - I threw it out. I'm pretty sure it was Arrowhead Mills or something like that. Beige & blue box.

LittleLinda Posted 1 Jul 2006 , 4:16pm
post #19 of 19

OK, I'll look for something like that. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%