Royal Icing Flowers And Buttercream--Yikes

Decorating By dragonfly0813 Updated 28 Jun 2006 , 8:13am by SarahJane

dragonfly0813 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonfly0813 Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 8:41pm
post #1 of 18

Is it possible to attach royal icing flowers to a cake iced in buttercream? I did it on my last cake and it was a disaster! See how the yellow bled through onto the daisies? I learn a lesson with each cake, and boy was this a big one!
LL

17 replies
rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 18

I'm confused I thought you could. Actually I have done it. What other factors might have been at play? Temp? Flowers to thin? I don't know?

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 18

I do it all the time but I usually use white buttercream to attach royal flowers.

dragonfly0813 Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 18

The house was pretty cool, so I don't think heat would have been a factor. The flowers seemed to be pretty sturdy, so I wouldn't think that would have been it either. The only thing I could come up with was that the shortening in the BC didn't jive with the royal icing. That can't be it though if you've done it before with no problems.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 18

I've had similar problems. I started putting small pieces of marshmellows on the royal icing flowers to prevent direct contact with the buttercream. The marshmellow has to be small so it doesn't show, but it did solve the problem. Grease and royal icing don't do too well together. La Paz Lady

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 18

What recipe are you using? I have used royal or snow buttercream and have not any problems but my flowers have dried for a few days or longer.

dragonfly0813 Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 9:13pm
post #7 of 18

Thanks for the marshmallow tip. I'll try that.

dragonfly0813 Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 18

Do you mean my buttercream recipe? It's shortening, flavoring, water, powdered sugar, meringue powder and salt. The royal icing is just powdered sugar, meringue powder and water. I made the flowers a week in advance. I'm just stumped!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 26 Jun 2006 , 9:20pm
post #9 of 18

The royal icing, what merigue product are you using. Wilton was all ways a problem for me I changed brands.

This recipe from Wilton- snow white frosting is awesome for air dired flowers. You can also ice a cake but it works great for flowers.

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/snow.cfm

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 5:09am
post #10 of 18

Maybe your icing was too thin. If you decorate the cake and let the buttercream crust before you attach the flowers, it shouldn't bleed onto your flowers. Were the daisies all the way dry? I've put royal icing flowers on buttercream cakes a million times (check out my showers cakes) and I've never had a problem.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 6:00am
post #11 of 18

Boy that looks like a lot of seepage from the yellow. I am also wondering if the flowers were fully dry. I've used royal icing daisys on chocolate buttercream and didn't have any bleeding.

Sarah

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 1:56pm
post #12 of 18

I have a dummy cake setting here that I iced in the snow white buttercream and put the royal flowers on (it is a mini version of the Wilton Course II Cake) Not a problem at all. I also used the royal flowers on all of my teapot cakes (I have made 20+ of those) and I use buttercream icing on them also......never a problem. I am thinking that maybe your royal flowers were not completely dried??

I have them made up for literally weeks in advance and I have always put them on the buttercream cakes and never had an issue. That is pretty wild how that happened?

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 2:04pm
post #13 of 18

I have made many cakes with BC and RI flowers some are in my pics, they have never broken down nor bleed.

dragonfly0813 Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 6:59pm
post #14 of 18

I actually put some bc on the daisy to attach it. I didn't think it would stick otherwise. Maybe that's where I went wrong. I'm hearing over and over again that Wilton products are problematic. I've got to try something else!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 8:23pm
post #15 of 18

The stuff I am working with on those cakes is Wilton (I teach it in class!) So that shoud not be the problem. I really think that the flowers more than likely were not as dry as they should have been. Good luck on the next one - and make the flowers as far in advance as you possibly can.

Sammy-2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy-2002 Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 8:29pm
post #16 of 18

I'm really surprised how much that affected your royal icing daisies!

I often attach royal icing flowers to cakes, but use white buttercream to attach them, so I guess that's why this has never happened to me (yet!).

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 27 Jun 2006 , 8:43pm
post #17 of 18

No help on what might have happened as I have attached royal flowers to many colors of buttercream and never had a problem. BUT I think the daisys look cool anywayicon_smile.gif

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 28 Jun 2006 , 8:13am
post #18 of 18

I haven't had problems with wilton stuff. I think it's actually very good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%