Help!! Re: Corners Of 11X15 Cake Overbaking

Decorating By love2decor8 Updated 22 May 2007 , 6:46pm by JanH

love2decor8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2decor8 Posted 22 May 2007 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 9

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the corners of a larger cake from getting wayyyy too hard during cooking??

I use the "Darn Good Chocolate Cake" recipe which makes the recommended amount of batter for my 11x15 pan. It cooks at 325 degrees for roughly 50 minutes. The problem is.......when the cake is done cooling, the corners are rock hard while the rest of the cake is super moist!! Any suggestions??

8 replies
OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 9

Maybe the oven gets too hot? I have a few recipes that say "DO NOT PREHEAT OVEN" or "PLACE IN COLD OVEN" I don't normally have that problem but you could trim the hard sides away and just do a really good crumb coating....

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 9

HAVE YOU TRIED WRAPPIN YOUR PANS BEFORE BAKING....IT HELPS TO PREVENT THE OUTSIDE EDGES FROM COOKING FASTER THAN THE CENTER.... ALSO HELP TO ELIMINATE THE CENTER BUMP....

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 9

what kind of coating are you using on your pans? I know when I put too much shortening and flour my edges and corners get hard. I usually put simple syrup on and wrap in saran wrap and freeze, that softens them up. As a last resort I cut them off.

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 9

Did you ask this question in another post? If so, be sure to check both posts for answers!

amecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amecakes Posted 22 May 2007 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 9

Are you using any heating cores? I use flower nails for anything larger than 8" round so that it will bake evenly.

sosweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sosweet Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 9

I think that using a baking strip would solve this problem. Wilton sells them, but you can make your own. Just cut a towel in strips long enough to go around your pan. If you need longer strips, you can pin strips together using straight pins or safety pins. Soak the strips in cold water (or run them under the cold tap) Ring the strip dry...not too dry, you just want them dry enough that they are not dripping all over the place. Wrap the strips around the pan and pin securely. Bake cakes on 325 until done. When cakes come out of the oven, cool in pan for about 5-10 min before removing cake from pan. You will notice that the side will pull apart from the sides a little. You should have a moist, and even cake layer. Good luck!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 9

Agree .... baking strips, reduce heat to 325. I have a 14x22 pan and don't have overbaked corners by using this method. (I don't use flower nails or heating cores, either.... just the strips).

What are you coating the pan with? If you use the spray, PAM, this can cause the edges of the cake to "fry" while baking. I used to use it once in awhile but never use it anymore. I also never flour my pans.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 May 2007 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 9

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%