Wedding Cake Is Done And All Eaten Up!!

Decorating By momof3jotynjake Updated 23 May 2005 , 3:20am by momof3jotynjake

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 22 May 2005 , 3:44am
post #1 of 10

Well, the day is done.. i was up til midnite working on the cake. I think it turned out being ok being that it was my 1st wedding and stacked cake....
It was hard to decorate... it was over 90 in the house last nite and the icing was sooo thing when i was icing the cake....
Now.. i need some advice.. when using the ice tipper, I ice the cake.. .then do you start smoothing from the top or from the sides?
I can never ice it enough to hide the cake on the top sides. the cake always shows through. I was getting so frustrated. I guess the icing had a lot to do with things also.
M0use, thank you for the white cake recip!! THEY JUST LOVEDDDD IT!! and the loved the chocolate also, everyone came up to let me know how declicious it was icon_smile.gif. what a great feeling!!
The cake can also be smoohter... but i think it all boils down to the heat...
thanks everyone for all of your suppoort! you are all AWESOME!!!

UTE
PS. the cake is in my photos icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 22 May 2005 , 3:55am
post #2 of 10

It looked really nice Ute ... great job icon_smile.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 22 May 2005 , 4:03am
post #3 of 10

I'm glad it was such a success! 80 degrees is about as hot as it's ever gotten while I was trying to decorate and it was so hard. I can't even imagine 90!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 May 2005 , 4:12am
post #4 of 10

Well you were certainly successful, that is one cute cake kiddo! Your roses turned out very well and your picot is adorable!
Hhmn, you know when I decorate if it goes over 75 both the icing and the decorator get, well, nasty, haha!
Whether or not you use the icing tip or just a spatula, I find that everyone will have their preference in which to ice or smooth first.
I find that if I build up the sides to get a rim, it works better to then smooth the top down with an offset spatula.
But sometimes I do the top first and I really don't find one way an improvement over another. I think it just takes time to get it downpat. I also think that many of use don't remove enough icing when smoothing, nor do we turn or rotate the cake while we are smoothing and this makes it difficult too. Don't know if you have a revolving cake stand but it helps somewhat.
If you are really having problems with seeing the cake through the icing at the top seam line, then smoothing the sides first to bring up a bit of a rim may be your answer. Do you use a paper towel to smooth or which method do you use? If you bring up the icing on the side and don't find it looks crips and clean, let the icing set and try using the little fondant roller on an angle at this point. Also, sometimes pinching this seam with your fingers is a good way to smooth it out.
Hugs Squirrelly

nernan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nernan Posted 22 May 2005 , 4:48am
post #5 of 10

Cake looks beautiful, roses were great, worry wort.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 22 May 2005 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3jotynjake

Well, the day is done.. i was up til midnite working on the cake. I think it turned out being ok being that it was my 1st wedding and stacked cake....
It was hard to decorate... it was over 90 in the house last nite and the icing was sooo thing when i was icing the cake....
Now.. i need some advice.. when using the ice tipper, I ice the cake.. .then do you start smoothing from the top or from the sides?
I can never ice it enough to hide the cake on the top sides. the cake always shows through. I was getting so frustrated. I guess the icing had a lot to do with things also.
M0use, thank you for the white cake recip!! THEY JUST LOVEDDDD IT!! and the loved the chocolate also, everyone came up to let me know how declicious it was icon_smile.gif. what a great feeling!!
The cake can also be smoohter... but i think it all boils down to the heat...
thanks everyone for all of your suppoort! you are all AWESOME!!!

UTE
PS. the cake is in my photos icon_biggrin.gif

You are welcome! I am very glad to here that everyone loved it!
When I ice cakes with the icer tip, I start on the top of the cake and then do the sides. I'm sure that if it had been a little cooler where you were, the icing would have been much more cooperative for you.
The colors on the cake look very nice, and I love the precious moments topper, very cute.
Glad things turned out for you! icon_biggrin.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 22 May 2005 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 10

Was it the bride's white cake recipe from CMD? Your cake turned out so cute!

momof3jotynjake Posted 22 May 2005 , 11:17pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

Was it the bride's white cake recipe from CMD? Your cake turned out so cute!

thank you! yes, it was the brides white cake!!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 23 May 2005 , 3:15am
post #9 of 10

Did you do anything diffrent to it or just follow the instructions? Whole eggs or egg whites?

momof3jotynjake Posted 23 May 2005 , 3:20am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacockplace

Did you do anything diffrent to it or just follow the instructions? Whole eggs or egg whites?

Hi peacock.. Yes, i just followed he directions. Its very tasty! everyone loved it!! I would recommend it to you!! are you going to give it a try?
I used whole eggs

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%