Belt Buckle

Decorating By cakelady Updated 25 Jun 2006 , 6:19pm by aliciaL_77

cakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 4:27am
post #1 of 7

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this belt buckle? The bride wants a cake just like this and I'm at a loss.

Thanks

http://www.onewed.com/wedding-cake-picture/wedding-cake-43.html

6 replies
Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 5:05am
post #2 of 7

Fondant, luster dust.

This could be fun, or frustrating! Let us know how it goes.

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 5:49am
post #3 of 7

So I agree with the fondant/luster dust...it looks like the best way is to hand cut the buckle (first cut a rectangle and then round out one edge) and then cut out the inside so that the "belt" can fit through. The part that goes through the hole (sorry I don't know my belt terms icon_wink.gif ) can probably be made seperately. Then emboss the belt buckle and belt loop and end and dry. Then I would probably dry dust with gold luster dust and then steam it for the shiny look.

That's my two cents...hopefully that helps a little.

~Ami

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 10:27am
post #4 of 7

this is the site of the original...in wedding gallery and has a close-up of the buckle. AZ Cakes

as both Zmama and mndhigurl have said, its just a hunk of shaped fondant or gumpast all dusted up pretty.

(whould need to actually make it so belt goes through...just have it laying on top of the belt and then use a small piece of fondant or royal to make what i've always called "the tongue" -- the part that sticks through the hole.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 3:40pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendhigurl

So I agree with the fondant/luster dust...it looks like the best way is to hand cut the buckle (first cut a rectangle and then round out one edge) and then cut out the inside so that the "belt" can fit through. The part that goes through the hole (sorry I don't know my belt terms icon_wink.gif ) can probably be made seperately. Then emboss the belt buckle and belt loop and end and dry. Then I would probably dry dust with gold luster dust and then steam it for the shiny look.

That's my two cents...hopefully that helps a little.

~Ami

Just curious, but what would you use to emboss this with? A real belt buckle?

Sarah

leta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leta Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 6:10pm
post #6 of 7

I wonder if the bride would be opposed to you doing a trophy belt buckle? It would be easier to do and you could put your effort into doing a cool design on the belt buckle instead of trying to make it look all buckled up. I would love to see it on a black and white cowhide cake. That's just My Opinion. Could be an even funner cake--if "funner" was a real word, anyway.

I'd definitely do half and half fondant and gumpaste.

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 25 Jun 2006 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 7

most buckles have a simple scroll pattern on them.. I dont see why you have to do anything too elaboralte... I like this cake my topper was similar to this one

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%