Strings Of Beading On Wedding Cake

Decorating By MicheleH Updated 22 May 2007 , 3:21am by designsbydelights

MicheleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MicheleH Posted 21 May 2007 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone heard of this? I have strings of pearl-looking beads to string around the wedding cake. Do you just push them into the icing? Or, do you attach them with royal icing so they'll stick?

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 21 May 2007 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 6

Royal probably won't hold them against buttercream. When I used them, I use a small hook from floral wire to sort of hang the ropes of pearls. I used a pair of pliers to wrap the wire into the string at regular intervals.

I pressed them against the cake, slightly, to keep them from flopping around during transport.

MicheleH Posted 22 May 2007 , 1:17am
post #3 of 6

Holy crap!! I think I'm in trouble then! Wedding is Saturday and I live in the middle of nowhere!! Didn't that cause some problems when leaving the cake for someone else to cut?
The person who wanted me to use them on the cake is a decorator herself, and she said when she uses them she just "pushes them into the cake a little"
Anyone else seen this or used this before?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 May 2007 , 1:30am
post #4 of 6

I do the push into the cake method, with a little dot of BC icing to glue it in place (a star or leaf or other icing decor). This is what I did on the Autumn Pearls cake in my pics.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=310533

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=310473

MicheleH Posted 22 May 2007 , 2:40am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the advice!! I could hardly tell that they were fake pearls. Hopefully I can pull this one off!!!

designsbydelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
designsbydelights Posted 22 May 2007 , 3:21am
post #6 of 6

When I use pearls on buttercream I just wrap them around and secure with buttercream. If you can get them on the cake before the buttercream crusts, that helps alot, too. I always begin my strands of ribbons or pearls at the center back of each cake, that way its easy to remove.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%